Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
Mine is coming in IOM with the expsed carbon and no stripes with standard wheel bc I wasn't paying $470 extra for a set af rims that looks nearly exactly like standard ss polished rims, but I will more than likely end up with an aftermarket set so I don't see the cf clashing with them.
Good thing for you, the standard 10 spoke wheels will be very easy to sell. There's a lot of people who want to get their hands on those
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
CF mohawk w/ custom carbon fiber center stripe? Black wheels. From far away it'll look like a black stripe then close up you'll see the detailed texture.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Thanks for the feedback guys!

My buddy who saw the carbon edition at SEMA has been trying to convince me against the CF hood and I have been fighting him on it until a few days ago. After looking at several videos and pictures I just couldn’t tell what it would look like in person – especially on IOM. My ideal CF if I had a choice would be very subtle – almost black from afar but once you get close you can see the weave. Some of the pictures make it look that way but others make it look very light.

While I love the orange / gray combination I’ve decided since the wheels and the other accents on the car are black to change back to the matte hood. I really like the idea of two main colors on the car; I think it will look very clean. My car won’t be parked outside so I think I can keep on top of the maintenance and keep it looking nice.

I agree that CF is a higher end look…. but I love a matte black finish and it really portrays a sense of power and performance to me – same with the stripe. I think the two packages will almost give the ZL1 two different personalities. Exposed CF, no stripe with polished wheels will portray luxury while black with stripe and black wheels will portray more of a raw performance, muscle car feel (that’s my opinion anyway). I want my ZL1 to have the latter look to it.

I think ultimately I’ll be happy with the black and the CF is too much of an unknown for me at this time. That’s not to say I can’t change my mind if pictures do emerge before my order is accepted.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
collins motorsport

Drives: 1967 SS 785hp pro touring, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Good thing for you, the standard 10 spoke wheels will be very easy to sell. There's a lot of people who want to get their hands on those
Ill probably actually keep them and throw a set of super stickys on em since the drag strip is only 20 minutes from my house.
collins motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #19
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys!

My buddy who saw the carbon edition at SEMA has been trying to convince me against the CF hood and I have been fighting him on it until a few days ago. After looking at several videos and pictures I just couldn’t tell what it would look like in person – especially on IOM. My ideal CF if I had a choice would be very subtle – almost black from afar but once you get close you can see the weave. Some of the pictures make it look that way but others make it look very light.

While I love the orange / gray combination I’ve decided since the wheels and the other accents on the car are black to change back to the matte hood. I really like the idea of two main colors on the car; I think it will look very clean. My car won’t be parked outside so I think I can keep on top of the maintenance and keep it looking nice.

I agree that CF is a higher end look…. but I love a matte black finish and it really portrays a sense of power and performance to me – same with the stripe. I think the two packages will almost give the ZL1 two different personalities. Exposed CF, no stripe with polished wheels will portray luxury while black with stripe and black wheels will portray more of a raw performance, muscle car feel (that’s my opinion anyway). I want my ZL1 to have the latter look to it.

I think ultimately I’ll be happy with the black and the CF is too much of an unknown for me at this time. That’s not to say I can’t change my mind if pictures do emerge before my order is accepted.
You can't lose either way

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins motorsport View Post
Ill probably actually keep them and throw a set of super stickys on em since the drag strip is only 20 minutes from my house.
I like the way you think
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #20
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I think the IOM with black insert, stripe and wheels will look great. I agree, I think the CF stripe is just too big a question mark without seeing it first. I am going with CF Exposed and no stripes because I ordered a sunroof and I am not crazy about vinyl stripes. Good luck with your order, I am looking forward to seeing how awesome it looks.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
With the IOM and black rims imo you should go with the black insert. If you did the silver/polished wheels I would say the exposed weave. I was on the fence of either IOM of IBM and then I wen with IBM, Silver/polished wheels and the exposed weave. Good luck with your decision.
bowtiefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
Zl11952

Drives: Other
Black carbon fiber insert and stripe treatment

Chevy will probably recommend what to use on the black hood insert. There are many protectants and treatments for textured black surfaces. Mothers Back To Black, Mequiars Ultimate Black, Sonus Total Eclipse. These are non waxes. For badly deteriorated black surfaces Forever Black restores black surface.

I found if I wax black vinyl trim and work wax into trim and wipe off immediately the trim is waxed and no residue is present. I do a small 2-3 foot section at a time. Have found the problem arises on vinyl trim when you let the wax dry to white powder that it is hard to get off. Try a 2-3 inch square section that is not well exposed to try out. I do this on black painted trim also. Trick is to wipe wax on/work in and immediately wipe off with separate microfiber cloth. I also wet the microfiber cloth I use for wax and polish so it is a little damp before I start to wax/polish. If trim is not smooth and has open pores you do not want to use any wax/polish.

Another tip is to use a microfiber wash mit and cloths. Another trick is to use several buckets with a grit guard in the bottom of a bucket. 1) Dip wash mit into soapy bucket wash section then 2) rinse off wash mit in separate bucket with a grit guard on bottom. I use two buckets with grit guards to rinse of wash mit. Some detail shops for supercars use 5 buckets, a little extreme.
Zl11952 is offline   Reply With Quote