Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #71
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
I have no drone at any rpm. And no way I'm gonna set there and hold my car at 3k rpm everywhere I go bc I'm scared of my drone.
I don't have Corsa exhaust, I'm not scared of drone, nor did I write "..... sit there and hold your car at 3k/rpm everywhere you go because you're scared of drone.".

If you know how to drive these vehicles, you'd want to be in higher RPM (in the power band) not lower unless you're driving for a very long distance. This is the reason on a dyno. they get it in 3 or 4th. gear and rev it up to about 6.5k/rpm. Because, that's where the power is and therefore is the way you should be driving the vehicle. That's the reason why I wrote in the post; ".....best way to get rid of drrone is not to drive under 3k rpm."

Drone is heard at low RPM's (usually below 3k/rpm) "at cruising speeds" so I"m saying I don't drive below that rpm level so don't hear the drone, unless I"m in 5-6th. gear drving for very long distances. If J-Pipes work for you because your driving habits require them or don't drive at higher RPM's, that's all good, but, for me, I don't see the point in buying J-Pipes for that one occassion I'm on a long distance cruise.

Quote:
And on another note corsa exhaust on a camaro or mustang for that matter no longer sounds like a muscle car. It really starts sounding foreign!
I do agree with this though. A friend of mine bought Corsa for his Challenger RT, and it sounds like a rice mobile.

Last edited by calbert1999; 01-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #72
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I don't have Corsa exhaust, I'm not scared of drone, nor did I write "..... sit there and hold your car at 3k/rpm everywhere you go because you're scared of drone.".

If you know how to drive these vehicles, you'd want to be in higher RPM (in the power band) not lower unless you're driving for a very long distance. This is the reason on a dyno. they get it in 3 or 4th. gear and rev it up to about 6.5k/rpm. Because, that's where the power is and therefore is the way you should be driving the vehicle. That's the reason why I wrote in the post; ".....best way to get rid of drrone is not to drive under 3k rpm."

Drone is heard at low RPM's (usually below 3k/rpm) "at cruising speeds" so I"m saying I don't drive below that rpm level so don't hear the drone, unless I"m in 5-6th. gear drving for very long distances. If J-Pipes work for you because your driving habits require them or don't drive at higher RPM's, that's all good, but, for me, I don't see the point in buying J-Pipes for that one occassion I'm on a long distance cruise.

I do agree with this though. A friend of mine bought Corsa for his Challenger RT, and it sounds like a rice mobile.
Well this is my DD being cammed and all i don't try to get only 10 mpg daily lol. I still average close to 20 mpg daily with full bolt ons and cam. But no it doesn't stay below 2 much! One the cam doesn't like rpm's below 1800 really. When i first got the cam work done i was only averaging 9 mpg for about a month. Yeah that hurts lol. Its hard for me not to punch it atleast once every trip home! But my drive to work is 55 and that is a perfect speed for drone. 20 min drive honestly wouldn't wanna keep it in 4th the whole time so just 5th and cruise. Before the j pipes i had killer drone in 5th and 6th after the header install but after i have no drone in any gear and quieted the exhaust inside the cabin down which made the wife happier!! Just my experience and for the money i spent on this car the 150 for the j pipes to actually get my wife to like it more was sure worth it!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #73
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
I had a set of MRT's on a LS3 Bad DRONE .
Went to headers and Corsa Manual NO drone at all.
Which it was louder at idle but under WOT it rocks,
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #74
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Not a big fan of the Corsa sound either, way to high pitched. I have the 3in Magnaflow and it is very deep. Love the way the way it sounds with the cam.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #75
AtotheJ
2010 Camaro 2SS LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
I'm still debating on what to get. I'm leaning towards a borla touring or S. I like the sound with headers. Anyone else have a similar setup (BORLA, non Atak + Headers) ?

| TSP Headers | Magnaflow | CAI | LMR Tune | BC Racing | Pfadt Sways |
AtotheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #76
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
From what I've read, the borla s has that low tone you're looking for. The touring will probably be too quiet.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #77
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk5genss View Post
I have the MBRP with headers and a cam take a listen and tell me what you think. I would consider trading you if you really don't have any drone. If you can post a vid of what you car sounds like. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
MBRP all the way.
Hows the drone with the MBPR? Is it bearable enough for a road trip. If not I'm looking at J pipes.
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #78
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Solo exhaust sounds great! But need j pipes if u do headers.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #79
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
So ya don't like the high pitch sound.........................like a lot of super cars have.
JL Audio XD400/4 amp
Pfadt trailing arms & tie rods sway bars.
pedders street 1 package. ,Hurst short throw shifter
With bronze bushings .
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #80
4thGen427CI
5th Gen

Drives: 10 SS
Quote:
Solo exhaust sounds great! But need j pipes if u do headers.
Can you just order the J-pipes section? Some guy on another thread said he did but have no reply from him. And he has no drone in 1600-2000. Is that the same range of drone on your car that got killed?
4thGen427CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #81
villanova09

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Hows the drone with the MBPR? Is it bearable enough for a road trip. If not I'm looking at J pipes.
the drone with MBRP is not bad at all. I've done 4+ hour trips with it and it does not bother me one bit. Can be a little bit annoying for a few minutes if you have the cruise set and you are going up a long hill. but the majority of the time it is perfect
villanova09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #82
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
http://youtu.be/vFMkHLZkDS0 He has MBRP exhaust and this car sounds awesome. Also, I dont know what the GMPP exhaust is equal to but I am about to put headers to it. I will post sound clips when finished. I think the Borla S and Touring have a nice sound to them.
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:30 PM   #83
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
I've never had an issue with drone unless in 6th. gear in cruise control doing 100kph.

That is quite rare for most people, so if your buying an exhaust for that once a year trip, get something else, if you're buying an exhaust system that will maximize your power output, has a great aggressive sound and is absolutely amazing on this car MBRP is the way to go man.

I wouldn't lead you astray. It's an amazing sounding, high quality cleanly polished product, and costs less than the competition. You can't go wrong man.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #84
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
As the ex-owner of a honda with a fart can and current owner of corsa+long tubes, I take offense to that statement!

Although, to be honest, the no drone of the corsa is what sold me. I only vaguely considered tone. Still love the sound at WOT, though.
I have a ls3, kooks LT, high flow cats, corsa cat back, no resonators. I wasn't 100 percent sold on the raspy sound, but hereing other exhausts that were deeper I was not impressed either. I'll try and be more detailed. I found with the deeper sounding exhaust tones. There seemed to be parts where the deep tone sounded good and then as the tone changed....... it changed to sounding kinda fake or cheap.....for lack of a better word.

I found the corsa to sound better then the video clips too. It is raspy but not as raspy as many of the video clips I've heard. WOT it just sounds awesome. Later I added CAI that especially gave it a whole new tone of the exhaust and under the hood a throatier sound. OEM air cleaners have more restriction and baffling to reduce noise. Sound better without all that.

Drone noise can get old fast and I didn't want to deal with any of that. It's tame under normal driving, but you can still tel it's not a stock exhaust sound by far.

Also I wanted others to enjoy riding along and something to radical or a drone I don't think most women like. You should see the look on others faces when it's opened up WOT......... it comes to life. Can't wait to see what it sounds like when I get the superchargers on.............just my 2 cents!
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote