Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #71
kinyu

Drives: POS
I had a push-start on my c6. I didn't really care how people saw it, but it was nice to not hear keys when i took hard turns.

That being said, I think Chevy has it right; give the key to the muscle car and give the sport car the push start.
kinyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #72
mattderk

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Or retrofit with a push starts :-)
mattderk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #73
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Turn the key and feel the rumble IMHO.
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #74
mlgreen

Drives: Dodge Charger R/T, IOM 2SS soon
Seems some Camaro owners envy the Challenger for having push button start, and some Challenger owners envy the Camaro for having HUD.
mlgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #75
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Cause a muscle car needs a key...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #76
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I have said this in several of these threads, but once again....

I would not have bought this car if it had a push button start. You are asking to have your car stolen. It is a security nightmare. Push button start vehicles are the easiest cars in the world to steal. If you don't believe me, do a little research. All you have to do is buy a receiver and walk within ten feet of the keys, because they are ALWAYS TRANSMITTING. This is true of the RFID credit cards as well, which has led to major identity theft issues. Why go through all of that just to have a stupid little gadget that is becoming passe anyway? Is it really that hard to turn your key in the ignition?

Besides, I like playing with my switchblade key anyway.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #77
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hello thread from 2008...

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:07 PM   #78
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
I have said this in several of these threads, but once again....

I would not have bought this car if it had a push button start. You are asking to have your car stolen. It is a security nightmare. Push button start vehicles are the easiest cars in the world to steal. If you don't believe me, do a little research. All you have to do is buy a receiver and walk within ten feet of the keys, because they are ALWAYS TRANSMITTING. This is true of the RFID credit cards as well, which has led to major identity theft issues. Why go through all of that just to have a stupid little gadget that is becoming passe anyway? Is it really that hard to turn your key in the ignition?

Besides, I like playing with my switchblade key anyway.
No, that's not how it works.

Yes the transponder is always transmitting, but it's also always receiving as well (hence the term "transponder" - it transmits AND responds to the handshake frequency the car puts out to the fob - for the car to start, when you press the button on the dash the car looks for the keyfob's frequency, then sends back it's own frequency to the keyfob for a "handshake", THEN the ignition process will begin only when they agree on the frequency checks).

You'd need a $20,000 spectrum analyzer to do what you're talking about. I know because I use one almost every day at work. Keyless ignition systems use what us engineers call FH - Frequency Hoping. Constantly changing, sometimes up to 12 times in one second. The RFID you talk about is a different beast from FH transponders. RFID does not employ FH, as they are fixed frequencies.

I'd like to see any Joe Blow off the street try to buy an FH spectrum analyzer to begin with. So your idea that they're the "easiest cars to steal" is a myth.

You've been watching "Gone in 60 Seconds" too much.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #79
CookieCk

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
If you really want a button start, put one on yourself. When my ignition fried in my VW Bug I rigged up a push button start system for a couple months instead of buying a new ignition. I only did it because I didn't have time to get the ignition before I needed to drive the car(at the time my bug was my DD) and I had all the stuff to do it in my garage. I kinda liked it, it was unique, but I still prefer a keyed ignition. Probably woulda confused the crap outta anybody trying to steal it though, I had 5 switches and a button, two switches had to be flipped to make what would be the on position with a key, and then the button held down to crank the engine and released once in started. Then to turn it off I just flipped the two switches back. The other switches were for various other electrics I had in the car(Radio, lights, underglow, etc.). I coulda made it a lot simpler, but I liked the idea of me being the only person who knew what switches had to be flipped and what not to get the car going.
CookieCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #80
mlgreen

Drives: Dodge Charger R/T, IOM 2SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
No, that's not how it works.

Yes the transponder is always transmitting, but it's also always receiving as well (hence the term "transponder" - it transmits AND responds to the handshake frequency the car puts out to the fob - for the car to start, when you press the button on the dash the car looks for the keyfob's frequency, then sends back it's own frequency to the keyfob for a "handshake", THEN the ignition process will begin only when they agree on the frequency checks).

You'd need a $20,000 spectrum analyzer to do what you're talking about. I know because I use one almost every day at work. Keyless ignition systems use what us engineers call FH - Frequency Hoping. Constantly changing, sometimes up to 12 times in one second. The RFID you talk about is a different beast from FH transponders. RFID does not employ FH, as they are fixed frequencies.

I'd like to see any Joe Blow off the street try to buy an FH spectrum analyzer to begin with. So your idea that they're the "easiest cars to steal" is a myth.

You've been watching "Gone in 60 Seconds" too much.
^This. I've been posting on many car forums dealing with the Charger and Challenger for years and the only time I've read about thefts is when someone lost their key and a thief found it or the car was simply towed away. I know plenty people with push button cars from other manufacturers and I've never heard of theft being a problem dealing with RFID.
mlgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #81
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Because it's not one of these:

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #82
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
If you need "push start" you should find a 1949 Ford, they had starter buttons.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #83
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
My a6 does have push start. Just beeing a smart azz.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote