Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #43
multiSS

Drives: 69 SS396 chevelle 2010 2ssrs camaro
4 grand is not to high to dump the clutch.I do it alot higher than that at times. Be a little lighter on the breaks is all. Then you'll get the pavement crayons warmed up!!
And don't forget to turn off the traction control and stabilatrac.
multiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
multiSS

Drives: 69 SS396 chevelle 2010 2ssrs camaro
Layin rubber is alot of fun. And less dangerous than driving fast. And makes great pictures!
multiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #45
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Yeah I thought four grand was reasonable, I'm gonna give it a try in the water box at the drags this Saturday!
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #46
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS View Post
Yeah I thought four grand was reasonable, I'm gonna give it a try in the water box at the drags this Saturday!
Don't worry about all the stuff being said here, just go out and learn how to do it with practice. Trust me, the manual tranny SS has no problems doing burnouts. Just because you can do it in one car doesn't mean the next one will respond the same! Like I stated before, the brakes on these cars are monsters, it is an art to be able to hop off of the clutch and LIGHTLY tap and hold the brake pedal. Believe me I know, I'm still practicing.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #47
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Line lock works much better...
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #48
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Guys, take it easy on him. It might be the first fast car he's ever had or maybe even the first V8 manual car. None of you guys came out of the womb knowing how to power-brake or launch a stick car. Try to help him - or leave him alone. The negativity and sarcasm doesn't help anyone.

As a couple folks have said in here - the brakes are monstrous on these cars, and for that reason alone, I would strongly recommend you don't try to power-brake these cars unless you've had a lot of experience doing that on other cars first. It takes a soft touch on the brakes after you come off the clutch - and that can be hard to do cause there's a lot going on at the same time. Hit the brakes just a touch too hard, and these monster Brembo's and gonna make bad stuff happen in a split second. Diff clutches, axle shafts, spider gears - all are VERY susceptible to breakage under the tremendous loads that occur when you are spinning the tires, then applying the brakes (too hard) - even for a split second. As has been suggested, I would URGE you to get a line-loc - and THEN go nuts!

If you need some help/advice, feel free to PM me - I can give you my number and walk you through some suggestions. I've been racing fast cars since the day I got my driver's license (my first car was an SS396 Nova with a M-21 and Mr. Gasket vertical gate shifter).

Sam
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Sarcasm and hating was brought on by the OP not being able to take some jabs and learn something without running his mouth about how he knows everything about cars already. So don't lecture us about our manners. Thanks.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote