Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #113
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I agree to a point. There is nothing to stop Canadians from protecting ourselves. But, there is "no need" to "carry" guns here in public. There aren't any places that are so dangerous that you need to carry loaded firearms.

You can own weapons for target, hunting, collecting or competitive shooting but you cannot claim you're carrying a .45 caliber H&K, or an AR-15 because you fear for your life. There is nothing here to fear that would warrant carrying that kind of fire power.

We can own as many guns as we want, and if someone enters your home and you get your Glock 9mm. and bust a cap in their ass because they're threatening you or your family, as long as you did it in self defence your good, but you can't go outside with a concealed / or non-concealed weapon and put a gun in someone's face because they spit on your car. Plus, considering it's never ever happened, we don't anticipate para-troopers from the United Arab Emirates, Iran, Palestine or Russia jumping out of airplanes to steal our water or take our children and we're not paranoid in believing aliens are planning an attack on us either. LOL
So, no point in carrying guns unless you're robbing a bank, and if you do that our RCMP will hunt you down like a dog to every corner of the globe until they bring you back to pay for your crimes. And, if you kill someone here, we don't let you off with an injection, you're doing "life" as in "real life" in prison.

I would not trade that for having to walk around with a gun, on my way to the 7-11 to get a frosty drink, that's not freedom and democracy were I'm from. Seems to me something wrong with being free, but having to carry a gun. Maybe that's just me.

Perhaps, at some point in the future we'll be there, but thank God for now we haven't evolved to that point yet.

Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I believe that you can not say for 100% certainty that NOTHING bad can happen to you when you are out in public. You just never know when you will need it. I rather have it and not need it than need it but not have it. I don't see anything wrong with being prepared. And just because someone carries a firearm does not mean they are going to rob a bank. Say for example, if you carried a firearm out in public, are you going to go do evil? I doubt it. The reason is because we are law abiding citizens. It doesn't matter if I carry a nuke out in public. I'm not going to do harm to anyone because I'm law abiding. The criminals will ALWAYS find a way to do evil regardless if it's with a gun, bat, knife, etc.

I'm glad you feel safer in Canada and I feel quite safe where I live as well. I actually live in a really good area but that still doesn't stop me from having my gun next to me when I go to sleep at night. Last I checked, we were like the 21st safest city in the USA. But it's precaution that I take and I hope I NEVER have to use it.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #114
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
easy enough... Matthew 5:39... which version of the New Testament would you like?

This doesn't mean you should just let people step all over you or not defend yourself... if I was to try and sum it up it, I believe it means when you are wronged or insulted (like spit on, or car keyed) do not seek revenge... Chasing someone down who spit on you is basically looking for revenge... Do not lower yourself to their level... This was a really interesting perspective:

http://provocativechristian.wordpres...e-other-cheek/

An section from above link:

To turn the other cheek is neither humiliating nor retaliation. It is rather a response of strength that says, “I will not seek revenge because I am stronger than that”. It also says, I will not respond in shame because I have dignity in Christ. My dignity is not found in if I can hit you back and hurt you. My dignity is found in Christ and I will respond in just the way He would respond.

BTW... a relative of mine came home to some kids throwing rocks at his house... the kids took off in their car and the relative gave chase. He caught up to them in a parking lot a couple miles away. Everyone gets out of their cars and the relative is immediately shot and killed... no confrontation... the kid just shot him...

Well said.
I have no doubt I could hang with just about anyone in a fight.
But to be able to walk away shows me I'm stronger.
I have nothing to prove to anyone but Jesus.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #115
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
dam man, ill never understand people.. let karma take care of them because nobody gets away free
Old 03-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #116
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
So I just returned home to Florida after a road trip with the family to New Mexico, and needed to run to the grocery store for some basics...milk, bread, etc... Naturally, having not driven my 2SS (Big Black)in over a week, I was having withdrawals, so I decided to take her out of the garage and really enjoy my trip to the store. So I'm sitting at a light with my windows down, listening to Third Day (Christian band) of all things, when some a-hole in the left turn lane decides to drive by me and spit into my window! Seriously!?!? Who does that!? I'd never even seen the guy...didn't pass them on the street...nothing.
There is a certain type of evil in this world that I do not understand, nor do I wish to. I can only chalk it up to the dude maybe having a miserable life, and wanting to do hateful things, to make other people miserable too. I don't want to be so arrogant as to assume it was because he was jealous of the car, but I can't rule it out. Ultimately, I think the guy was just a prick, and doing hateful things to other people makes him feel better about his own miserable existence.
I thought for a minute about chasing the guys down, (which would have been about a 10 second chase), but then what? Most people in this area carry guns, and I would hate to leave my kids fatherless over something so stupid. Hindsight, I could have at least followed them and called the police, because spitting on someone is considered aggravated assault in Florida, but again, hindsight is always 20/20. I was seriously dumbfounded. I still cannot believe it happened. The guy will get his in the end, I'm sure. I just wish I could be there to witness it.
Thank you for what you do for our country! 'Measured" response! When a person acts that stupid, a good chance their decision making skills are in the toilet anyway resulting in more stupid decisions that ultimately end up in "Darwin's natural selection of species." Relax, not your problem, it WILL take care of itself. No need expending resources on something that will play itself out without you expending your precious resources. You Christian? Pray for him. The blessings you offer, if he refuses, it comes back on you. Cool deal! I didn't mean to get too preachy.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #117
Secret Squirrel

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broffermoon View Post
Thank you for what you do for our country! 'Measured" response! When a person acts that stupid, a good chance their decision making skills are in the toilet anyway resulting in more stupid decisions that ultimately end up in "Darwin's natural selection of species." Relax, not your problem, it WILL take care of itself. No need expending resources on something that will play itself out without you expending your precious resources. You Christian? Pray for him. The blessings you offer, if he refuses, it comes back on you. Cool deal! I didn't mean to get too preachy.
No need to apologize. I appreciate the "preachy" comments bro. I am Christian, and as I sat there fuming, the first thing I thought to do was pray about the whole situation. It really calmed me down.
Not to say that I don't appreciate all the non-preachy comments as well. I love this forum because you get so many different opinions, and each one valuable in it's own sense. There have been some really great and uplifting posts. Even the ones that criticize serve a purpose. This thread got so many more comments than I thought it would, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to type out their thoughts.
Secret Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #118
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Let it go. you can't be held responsible for other peoples actions and not chasing him down showed your true metal. The book never promises things will get better, matter of fact it says the opposite and I think we are getting to those times. Look around......
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #119
BostonPunjabi

Drives: Chevy Tahoe
Man I would have chased that guy and given him the beat down of his life if he spit in my car (always nice to have a set of brass knuckles and pepper spray in the glove box ) lmao
BostonPunjabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #120
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I believe that you can not say for 100% certainty that NOTHING bad can happen to you when you are out in public. You just never know when you will need it. I rather have it and not need it than need it but not have it. I don't see anything wrong with being prepared. And just because someone carries a firearm does not mean they are going to rob a bank. Say for example, if you carried a firearm out in public, are you going to go do evil? I doubt it. The reason is because we are law abiding citizens. It doesn't matter if I carry a nuke out in public. I'm not going to do harm to anyone because I'm law abiding. The criminals will ALWAYS find a way to do evil regardless if it's with a gun, bat, knife, etc.

I'm glad you feel safer in Canada and I feel quite safe where I live as well. I actually live in a really good area but that still doesn't stop me from having my gun next to me when I go to sleep at night. Last I checked, we were like the 21st safest city in the USA. But it's precaution that I take and I hope I NEVER have to use it.
There are some very obvious difference to life in the US vs Canada, I've experienced life on both sides of the border so believe me when I say I know the deal.

No place is 100% safe, that wasn't my point, there is a criminal element everywhere we're just fortunate to have very little crime here, nor am I saying "law abiding citizens carry guns to rob banks", what I'm saying is; "here in Canada" there is no reason for a "civilian" to carry guns unless they are going to rob banks because we don't have the levels of crime to justify carrying loaded weapons, nor do we fear our liberal freedoms are going to be taken away from us by visitors from another country or planet. You cannot even put "self defence" on a gun license application because if you do, and you can't prove your life is in danger (you're being stalked, ex is a wacko, attempt on your life before by gang-bangers, et al), you will "NOT" get a gun license.

So again the point is "I don't have to carry a gun, drive around with one nor sleep with one loaded underneath my pillow to feel safe". If that's what you have to do in your city, then , I don't blame you I'd most likely do the same if I thought my life was in danger enough to carry a .45 mag. I'm thankful I don't have to, that's all I"m saying. Nothing to agree or dis-agree with. Again there are obvious differences to life in the US vs Canada.

Last edited by calbert1999; 03-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #121
Broffermoon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
There are some very obvious difference to life in the US vs Canada, I've experienced life on both sides of the border so believe me when I say I know the deal.

No place is 100% safe, that wasn't my point, there is a criminal element everywhere we're just fortunate to have very little crime here, nor am I saying "law abiding citizens carry guns to rob banks", what I'm saying is; "here in Canada" there is no reason for a "civilian" to carry guns unless they are going to rob banks because we don't have the levels of crime to justify carrying loaded weapons, nor do we fear our liberal freedoms are going to be taken away from us by visitors from another country or planet. You cannot even put "self defence" on a gun license application because if you do, and you can't prove your life is in danger (you're being stalked, ex is a wacko, attempt on your life before by gang-bangers, et al), you will "NOT" get a gun license.

So again the point is "I don't have to carry a gun, drive around with one nor sleep with one loaded underneath my pillow to feel safe". If that's what you have to do in your city, then , I don't blame you I'd most likely do the same if I thought my life was in danger enough to carry a .45 mag. I'm thankful I don't have to, that's all I"m saying. Nothing to agree or dis-agree with. Again there are obvious differences to life in the US vs Canada.
You hit the core of the discussion.
Interesting point you make...has a lot to do with human nature. See, I lived through the Age of Aquarius...it didn't come. I heard John and Yoko proclaiming, "All I am saying, just give peace a chance." Didn't happen either. Human beings will be human beings. Yeh, some are just plain evil, others just plain stupid, some a combination of both and then there are others......
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #122
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
I had some jerk riding my tail through a construction zone about 7 years ago. Not only was the posted speed limit 15MPH there was a patrol car sitting on the side of the road nannying the situation. He stopped honking and backed off as soon as he saw the cop but resumed tool-O-matic mode once we had passed the cop and I guess he felt he was out of earshot. I even sped up to 25...didn't matter he rode my bumper. I was driving my wife's brand new VW Golf otherwise I would have slammed on my brakes.

As soon as the zone ended and it opened up to 2 lanes he sped by and threw a wendy's bag of trash at my car. I was furious to be sure but then I saw the full Taco Bell cup in the cup holder. "Oh thank you honey for letting the kids eat in the new car this one time." I knew it was root beer. I pulled up next to this clown driving his Dakota truck and got him to roll down his window like I wanted to yell at him. I lobbed the root beer bomb into his window. It not only made it into his window but it went everywhere.

I remember seeing root beer dripping from his rear view mirror. I hooked a quick left and ditched him. I remember thinking if he somehow caught up to me I'd just stop and and make this whole thing very much not worth it for him. I was shaking I was so mad with adrenalin.

In hindsight, I should have just took a few breaths and remained calm. It was only a Wendy's bag and it didn't do anything to my car. It could have escalated into who knows what? I could have caused an accident and you can't get that kind of stuff back. Wouldn't do this again.

But that doesn't mean I feel bad at all that this clown had to go home and spend several hrs cleaning out the cab of his truck.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #123
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broffermoon View Post
You hit the core of the discussion.
Interesting point you make...has a lot to do with human nature. See, I lived through the Age of Aquarius...it didn't come. I heard John and Yoko proclaiming, "All I am saying, just give peace a chance." Didn't happen either. Human beings will be human beings. Yeh, some are just plain evil, others just plain stupid, some a combination of both and then there are others......
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #124
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
Just chalk it up to low intelligence and bad upbringing and carry on. People like that will sooner or later spit on the wrong person and wake up some place they do not want to be (if they wake up)..
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #125
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
There's A**holes everywhere just jealous of your car/life knowing they don't have a life pisses them off.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #126
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
New here. Not sure if links are okay. Yeah, I read the rules.

This story reminded me of this thread. You never know who you are dealing with these days.

http://wap.myfoxdfw.com/w/news-local/story/56483093/
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote