Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0b0y View Post
yes; if the meth is tuned for power but if you run out of meth or the line gets clogged or something else happens, and you step on it......BOOM!
warning lights. I'm running a meth-currently-injecting green light, and less-than-1/4-tank in trunk red light.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
pyr0b0y
need....more....hp

Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
warning lights. I'm running a meth-currently-injecting green light, and less-than-1/4-tank in trunk red light.
i would still be careful tuning for power because there is a possibility that the meth gets stuck in the lines somewhere and you have no way of knowing like you do with oil or fuel.

Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims
pyr0b0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:
i would still be careful tuning for power because there is a possibility that the meth gets stuck in the lines somewhere and you have no way of knowing like you do with oil or fuel.
This is true but I have heard of very little to no stories about this.

I mean down here we all run meth on our FI cars and I have yet to see one blow. The only car that did blow was a guy running meth without a module...lol. Was extremely funny. Literally got water into the cylinders and kaboooom.

Is there any system you know of besides stage 3 that shows if meth is actually getting through the lines clearly? I haven't even tuned my car for power yet with meth just a safety for now and untop of that I'm running octane boosters.
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
You need to have safety in place in case the meth stops flowing for any reason. Many set up the tune so that a rise in iat temps (which is immediate if the meth stops) will pull timing to protect the motor. Your tuner should be able to tell you more.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Rodney@AIS

Drives: ProCharged Mustang
Quote:
this is true. If you spray the meth to close to the throttle body and you dont give it time to atomize, it will eat away at the coating on the rotors. If you put if further back on the intake tube, you give it more time to atomize and will not have that problem.
If you run a maggie its going to take the black coating off no matter what. This is a non issue though. Anyone running a maggie has this happen. If you ever take a maggie apart thats been running water methanol injection the rotors look like they have literally been polished.

As for other blowers such as kenne bells and whipples. They have anodized coated rotors which are unaffected by the methanol injection.

Let me know if you have any questions or how I can help.

Rodney
Rodney@AIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #20
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakaro68 View Post
Magnuson has a warning on their paperwork claiming meth eats the coating off of the rotors....
Not great for aluminum either.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #21
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I checked with whipple before I installed my meth, they assured me it's fine. I've got about 13k miles since the install. No problems.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Im a meth user

tune, tune, tune.......
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Ted at JRE recommended using Torco octane accelerator over going with a meth system with my maggie. Logic made sense to me, if I run out of torco, car stops running!!!

I run a quart of torco per fill up of 91 octane. Mix tables say that will bring me to around 97 octane. Running a 93 octane tune from Ted but also have a proven straight 91 octane tune if I decide I do not want to run the torco.

Difference between the two tunes is around 50 HP.

Anyway, Torco has MUCH less set up cost but probably costs more after a meth system is installed, not sure but I really like the fail proof aspect of this method to increase octane.

I am also suprised your needing meth at the HP level your at. I am at roughly the same HP level as you with my 91 octane tune.

Planning my next step now with Ted and he has planned a path for me to get up to 750 RWHP and has yet to mention running any meth system.

Just might want to look at Torco as another option to meth if your worried about rotor finish life. From what I hear, if the system is set up properly and injection location is correct, there is no problem with the rotors but again, I do not have that system so can not offer much that is meaningful.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #24
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
yes; if the meth is tuned for power but if you run out of meth or the line gets clogged or something else happens, and you step on it......BOOM!
If the fuel pump dies the same thing happens.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote