Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
MY FIRST MOD 20" MS RIMS ,TIRES, TPMS **FREE**

So this morning I completed My frist Modification. Since I purchased LS1 I have been searching for a Good deal on a set of 20' MS Rims...just my luck Monday I hit Craigslist and found a set Rims, Tires, TPMS, all for $500 (YEAH $500.00) in great Condition...met up with the guy who is also a "RARE" C5 member last night about 10PM drove down to south Jersey, about a 1hr and 1/2 drive which wasnt an issue gave me a chance to, really drive my car...checked them out...and as stated in GREAT condition. I would have made the purchase last night but theres no way I could fit the rims and tires in my car....

This morning I got a ZIP car...they actually name there cars this one was METRICa mazda 3 5 door, which did really well on the trip back with all 4 rims and tires...usally with 4 Cyl you add 500 punds you can feel the power drain...not this one.....

So before I even get home, I pick up my brother have him drive the ZIP car, to pick up my camaro and straight to the tire shop to have the wheels switched

Guy at the tire shop asks me what i was going to do with my old rims and tires...told him I wasnt sure, he offers me $300 for all 4, I laughed and said no thanks the TPMS is worth $200 alone. Then I said $500 and you got a deal he agreed.. So I actually got my 20s for free

***ISSUE***

After I get the tires intalled drive about 30 miles everything is cool. no lights, no warnings ....I drop my brother off at home now the

SERVICE TPMS System light is on...any one have a fix or suggest what I should do??
Attached Images

Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
that is awesome. unfortunately i have no idea what could be wrong. someone will be along and help im sure. new wheels look great!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Those back tires are pretty much toasted, they are wore down to the wear bars. Look in your manual how to reset/learn the TPMS ...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
that is awesome. unfortunately i have no idea what could be wrong. someone will be along and help im sure. new wheels look great!
Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The TPMs's cannot be set by yourself, it has to be done by the dealer.
They have a handheld device they hold next to each tire in sequence in order to calibrate the TPMS's to the car.

I had to have this done on my 11 Vert. The dealer did it for free, and it only takes about 5min.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Ummn How did the tires and rims not fit into the camaro did u have stuff in ur trunk? I fit all of mine in the car two in trunk one in back seat one in front seat. Id go the the dealer to get them resent i doubt it would cost much.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The TPMs's cannot be set by yourself, it has to be done by the dealer.
They have a handheld device they hold next to each tire in sequence in order to calibrate the TPMS's to the car.

I had to have this done on my 11 Vert. The dealer did it for free, and it only takes about 5min.
Great Info, I have to visit them tommorw anyway, car had no gas so they owe me a full tank

What you think I should do if they try to charge me??
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Ummn How did the tires and rims not fit into the camaro did u have stuff in ur trunk? I fit all of mine in the car two in trunk one in back seat one in front seat. Id go the the dealer to get them resent i doubt it would cost much.
I really didnt try I ASSumed they wouldnt fit...then i didnt want dirty tires in my new car....you sure all 4 20 with the tires on fit in your car?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Those back tires are pretty much toasted, they are wore down to the wear bars. Look in your manual how to reset/learn the TPMS ...
I was advised it has to be done by the Dealer which is it?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
If there is a discount tire near, they will do it for free. The dealership will charge you an hour of labor which is around $80-100 bucks. There is a way do it without a tpms tool but I find that method unreliable.

Get some new rears asap.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izach26 View Post
I was advised it has to be done by the Dealer which is it?
Unless you have a relearn tool, your best bet is to go to the dealer or some kind of tire shop.

Also, yes your rears are shot because we can see the wear bars.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Those rears scare me
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
WildL16

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal! Even if the tires are a bit worn 500 for the set does not sound bad at all, especially if you got 500 out of your steelies. My dealership has programmed my tpms 3 times already for free, so just ask if they will do it. If they try chargin you go somewhere else.
WildL16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Chavira2009

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Hurst RJT
You got an awesome deal on the wheels and got great money for yours. I picked up three brand spankin new for 250 lol, so that was a good buy for me.
As for relearning your sensors, try this.....
1. Go through your driver's menu option untill you get to "Relearn Tire Sensors" or something like that, I cant exactly remember what it says.
2. After the car honks, Start at your left front tire and let some air out until the car honks again.
3. Move to your right front tire and let air out of it until the car honks. Then right rear, then left rear. The car will illuminate the corresponding corner light to which sensor needs to be learned next.
4. After all 4 sensors have been learned, the car will honk one last time to let you know it has finished the learning procedure.

By letting air out of the tire while the vehicle is in learn mode, the sensor sends out a signal and the vehicle picks it up. That's how it works, just some good info to know.

I hope this will save you a trip to the dealer!
Chavira2009 is offline   Reply With Quote