Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Im with you. I too always set the e-brake and always leave it in gear.

That siad, I dont recall ever having a car that could be held in place with just the e-brake.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Johnny1

Drives: Would only drive GM
Just had a thought from my past. When I took drivers training in Council Bluffs Iowa in high school in 1963. I don't remember what the cars were we trained on. But you know back then they were big heavy tanks. I think 4 door 52 Chevys or something like that. We had to train on an automatic and a stick. Before we could pass class we had to be able to take a standard half way up a steep hilly street come to a complete stop. Set the hand brake, put it in first gear and let out the clutch enough the car started to pull and pop off the emergency brake and go on without the car rolling backward and drive on up the hill. I got so I could do it and that big heavy car wouldn't roll backward a single inch. Ha Ha
Johnny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
sebi1990

Drives: 2012 v6 LFX M6 Black Camaro
So you guys think a visit to the dealer would do anything?
sebi1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #18
formare
The Milano

The dealer can tighten the cable so that the handle travels less. It will have no effect on the effectivenss of the e-brake.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #19
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I feel kinda silly asking this - but, do you guys feel that the "parking brake" should keep the car from moving when it is neutral ?
Don't feel silly, of course it should keep the car from moving. Think about it, emergency brake is for in case the brakes fail and there fore should be able to stop the car from a normal driving speed. I'm guessing it should stop a car in a reasonable distance from a speed of 55 mph. I'm sure the NTSB has some kind of standard the e-brake has to meet. The dealer can adjust it to better meet your expectations.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
formare
The Milano

Eh - I think im going to choice to disagree with your assertion that the e-brake can stop the car from 55 (or any speed). It might hold the car in place on level ground. I dont think the physical mechanics of the system could stop the car nor hold the car on a steep incline.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
the e-brakes on all my previous cars always held the weight of the car on incline. The only car in which this wasn't the case was a 1981 corolla, and that was because of how aged the car was more than anything. As for stopping the car from speed, I actually drove my old RX-7 with shoddy brakes (the ABS unit was leaking) by downshifting and using the e-brake as my only braking mechanism for a week. Works if you're careful; have to remember to give yourself plenty of braking space because it won't be as strong as 4 disc brakes are.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #22
spideronjuice

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 Ashen Gray Metallic
E Brake very cheap, Could have been a real disaster.

I purchased a 2012 Camaro SS once, I have a 14 ZL1 currently. I had it about 3 weeks, my front driveway is on an incline. Ever since Iv'e driven a manual I was never taught or even thought it was a requirement to leave it in gear. So, on this particular day I went to pick my son up from school, I backed it up to my garage with the front end facing the street. About 45 mins later, my neighbors son, who drove an old school Nissan 240 sx, steel body, rings my door bell. He was leaving with his friend when he pulled up parallel to the base of my drive way before he took off. He said he slowly saw my car moving and he started to honk, then he said it just flew in a matter of a second, and crashed into his car. I walked outside unlocked the driver's door, and I could see the brake pulled up, but it had no tension on it. It was about half way up I pulled it up again to it popped backed towards the floor and it was tight again( all Camaro owners no what I'm talking about the brake when pulled at it's highest point, pops when fully extended). The front fascia was damaged, and I was pissed. Ashen Gray Metallic, ruined. So I contacted the Chevrolet dealer I bought it from and referenced the few people I saw on the web with the same problem. I have a business account with them, so I have a little leverage. They offered to fix it at cost, which I thought GM should pay for, and that equaled $1,200. I decided to let insurance take care of it, and it was a wreck reported to my carfax. But in all seriousness, I have 3 small kids, that played in the driveway on a daily, not to even mention their friends or other kids that play in my driveway, I don't now what I would have done if my car killed one of my babies or someone's else kid, realizing this when I was telling the dealer the story, made me bust in instant tears ( and I'm not one to cry) the thought that my children could have been injured by this defect. From here on out, I don't park on the driveway I park in the garage on a flat surface. And if it is parked outside its on the street in gear, and my kids are not allowed to play behind any car.
spideronjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
I had this same problem. I took it into a shop today and has them adjust it and clean all of the pads. I believe all Camaros are like this.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #24
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You should always park in gear, but also, the parking brake should hold the car on any hill. If it doesn't, it needs to be fixed. The cable may be damaged or rusty, or the pads may be worn if the brake has been abused.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #25
BRcar

Drives: 13 zl1 crt convertible
I have always been taught & recommend anytime you park a manual trans vehicle, trans in low gear, ebrake applied. On a steep grade low gear, ebrake on & wheels turned towards curve. I would not trust ebrake alone, anymore than i would trust parking with trany in gear only.
BRcar is offline   Reply With Quote