Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #85
ManOfTheMinute

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ls View Post
Yep. He saved up for a car for about 2 years but I don't know the exact number he has, but even agreed since he's not paying full price, his dad can take away the keys when ever he wants!
Only problem is that you might not realize that you should take his keys away until it is too late...

Also, why do you think camaro's have higher insurance premiums? It is not because teenagers drive them more safely.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 PM   #86
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I'll add my story. I was 15 almost 16( about 2 months away). My parents bought me a used 2001 VR V6 fourth gen, she had 130,000 miles on the clock. My dads idea was to get a car that would get me through high school. I took excelent care of her. I love that car and I do still to this day. I'll say for the most part I drove responsibily, there were a few instances that i let her go, but luckly nothing bad happened. Fast forward to today. im 19, almost a junior in college, I work as much as possible, pay my own insurance, and i paid for my own car, my parents didnt give me a dime towards it. I think the Camaro love, is one of the best things that happened to me, it kept me from doing drugs and other dangerous activites, because I loved the car so much I didn't want her taken away.I was always working on her. Now that I actually bought my own, a used 2010, that feeling of acomplishment is great. If your son really loves and appreicates the car he will take very good car of it. There is something magical about a man and his Camaro. just my .02 cents
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #87
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ls View Post
thanks for all of the responses everbody. I dont think my son will have any trouble with the visibility. He weighs about 180 and he's about 6'1''
Im 6'3" and about 200 lbs. Visibility is always an "issue". Horsepower is another one. High School is the biggest one. Im 32 and I still love to push the car, hear her purr, or leave the guy/gal next to me in the dust. I personally think its too much car for a 16 year old...though your son could be very responsible. If he was though...why ask our opinion? Perhaps deep down you are a little concerned...
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #88
Meganinmycamaro

Drives: 2012chevy camaro
Im 19 n brought my own camaro cause i was responsible enough to save up for 1 thats how i think it should
Old 04-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #89
calegarrison
Cale Garrison

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green SE Camaro
Send a message via AIM to calegarrison
Get him something original

22" Helo 844 Wheels
5% Tint
Blacked Out Taillights, Foglights, Sidemarkers Bowties , Taillight Bezels Reverse Lights
Synergy Green Matched G2 Brake Caliper Paint
Magnetic Trunk Blackout
AAC Lighting
Replaced Factory Blue Interior LEDs with Green
Black Gill Inserts
Synergy Green Engine Cover and Fuse Box
Vararam CAI with Green Air Filter

COMING SOON!

ARH Longtube Headers
MRT 2.0 Exhaust
Trifecta Ghost Cam
Synergy Green Heritage Grill
T3 Flat Black Stripes
Razzi Ground FX in SGM
Lambo Doors
STS Turbo
SS Front Bumper with T2 Ports
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #90
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
I got my car a few months before my permit. I think it is a great car when for a responsible teenagers. Sadly the Camaro owners of So-Cal are usually irresponsible. I love my car and do not drive recklessly. It is a great bonding for my dad and me. Here is what I have learned. Teenagers who are irresponsible will be irresponsible with a beat down clunker or a Camaro. The difference is the Camaro is better made for handling situation like that. If you are going to get your son a car not made for driving hard and he is irresponsible upgrade the brakes and drop it. But do not tell him so he will not try to push the limits knowing it is upgraded

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #91
SScotty

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
A child needs to learn that cars aren't given to them, they are earned. Your son will appreciate a car more and care for it better if the car is purchased and insured with money earned by your son.
An added benefit of starting out with an older car is your son will learn how to work on it and how to maintain it.
Do your son a favor and tell him to consider an older gen 3 or 4 Camaro, he will be a better man in the long run.
Whatever your son gets, make sure it has a stick, it makes you a better and safer driver.
If dad buys a 16 yr old son a new 2012 Camaro, he will probably wreck it. Why? Because the kid considers the car was "free".

2x JL 12W3's // Red+Chrome Bowties // 9500 ix RD // AAC Custom Red Interior Lighting // Headlight Armor Sidemarkers // ZL1 Pedals // Camaro SS Lloyd Floormats // 25% Window Tint // Custom Red Stripes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #92
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd start him out with a 1993-1996 Camaro v6 with the 3.4L. If he can handle that responsibly and take care of that car, then maybe consider upgrading after a few years... Starting out with such a new car at 16 is only asking for trouble.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #93
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
yea, but in a Prius you have three minutes to decide if going up to 100 is such a good idea after all.
Or, maybe you have no choice but to do 100mph as explored by the big "unintended acceleration" debacle.

Toyota: Moving Forward! (whether you want to....or not)
Old 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #94
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
If Camaro 5 talks this guy out of getting his son a Camaro it would be an internet c*ckblock of epic proportions!
^I'm with this guy.
I mean seriously, do you believe it is going to be any worse than him getting something like a Focus, Malibu, or anything else? It really will depend on the kid, and I am sure he will speed in anything he drives at some point or another. There aren't too many cars nowadays that aren't close to or surpassed the performance 0-60 or 0-100 of the V6 Camaro. I like the idea of regulating stupidity and taking the keys when he does something bad.

In closing, do any of you remember that girl who had the overprotective parents? We all know what happened to her once they cut her loose. I say give him some real responsibility now so you avoid the "wild streak" he will have if you stick him in a Corolla or Sentra for the next few years.

I also say go find a nice used one instead, no way a new car for a first car.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #95
CamarOBX

Drives: 2011 2LT Camaro 1996 Nissan Sentra
Get it if u can. Im 18 and pretty responsible. I just cant see a kid getting a car like that and not being careful with it. But i also bought mine so its that much more special to me not to mess it up or ill be driving the 1996 sentra again....
Old 04-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #96
RallySS

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow RS/2SS Vert M6
You could always have a friend bring over an decent Corolla, Cavalier, or Sentra first and act like you are giving him the keys, even let him drive it for the rest of the day so he gets the feeling of driving a "beater" for a day first, the pull the Camaro swap on him while he sleeps as a reminder of how good he has it the next morning (make sure you have a camera ready for first "permagrin"). I would appreciate my old man doing this to me with the right intentions and the constant reminder of "what could have been" as well as a cool memory.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #97
martyhalmi
NJ Camaro 22

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
My parents got me my camaro at 16 so I could practice driving manual with them in the car until I could get my license at 17 and be comfortable with it. If you can do it get it for him, I literally love my car and makes driving it everyday amazing. I have the 2lt so the 304 hp is plenty, I would definitely love the SS but I cant complain
Old 04-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #98
Mikey193

Drives: 2012 black ss/rs camaro
Parents got me a ss in a stick I'm 18 I say get it.

Closed Thread