Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Soundplus

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
Technostalgia Afterburner install in under 2 hours.

OK sports fans.
I got my lights and did my install in under 2 hours. and it was a snap.

First you remove the rear fascia .. you can use the DIY video I made. that takes about 15 minutes to remove. then you have the lights and the wiring harnesses at you command. real simple to remove the bezels from the back side once the rear is off. then the lights .. I installed my harness in the rear fascia instead of inside the trunk. simply taped it to the existing harness. ran a single wire inside the trunk to make my power connection..
then put the rear back on..
easy as pie.

AND as an extra feature. I used a relay to connect the show mode wire to my reverse lights . so when I back up they go into show mode automatically.. can't miss when I am backing up..
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
PICS???
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundplus View Post
OK sports fans.
I got my lights and did my install in under 2 hours. and it was a snap.

First you remove the rear fascia .. you can use the DIY video I made. that takes about 15 minutes to remove. then you have the lights and the wiring harnesses at you command. real simple to remove the bezels from the back side once the rear is off. then the lights .. I installed my harness in the rear fascia instead of inside the trunk. simply taped it to the existing harness. ran a single wire inside the trunk to make my power connection..
then put the rear back on..
easy as pie.

AND as an extra feature. I used a relay to connect the show mode wire to my reverse lights . so when I back up they go into show mode automatically.. can't miss when I am backing up..

OKAY......I went to the DIY SECTION.......its not there....SO WHERE is the DIY VIDEO you speak of???? HMMMMM????
Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
Soundplus

Pics are coming. and here is the link for the rear fascia removal.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Soundplus.....THANK YOU, very good informative video!!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
ChriSS84
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS
Thanks for the Video.
ChriSS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Yeah i removed my rear bumper cover to install mine also.

Thanks for the idea about show mode with the backup lights..great idea
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Great video of the rear bumper removal.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:

Soundplus...can you show or tell us how you did this? That's an awesome idea!
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:

Now that is a good idea.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
NewDivide
NewDivide

Drives: SW '13 1SS/RS & '12 Honda CRV
Great video! What would say the bumper cover weighs? Hard to get back on?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Soundplus

OK I AM BACK. with good news and bad..

First the good news.
The bumper weighs in at about 20 pounds I would say. and it is easy to get back on..
I have the pic and will be posting them on this thread..
The relay to make the lights work with the reverse lights was 8 bucks at the auto parts store.

Now for the bad..
Everything worked as planned... until I stepped on the brake.. After contacting Todd at Techno. I found out that the programers (IN THE MINDSET OF SAFETY) programed these lights to shunt the show mode if the brake pedal was pressed. and by shunting the show mode the only way to reactivate the show mode was to turn the switch off then back on. So if you shift into reverse with your foot on the brake. they will not flash. but if you shift with your foot NOT on the brake . then it works great.. until you push the brake.. then they stop flashing and work like normal.

BUT NEVER FEAR>>> I think I have a way to correct it.. IF I install a reverse relay in line after the relay I installed on the purple wire. and to the power side of the brake light. then when the brake pedal is pressed it will break the ground connection on the purple wire and thus reset when the pedal is released and start blinking again. I might need to make it a delayed rev relay.. I will post more when I have it perfect.

Go get yourself a standard 4 post 30amp 12v relay. it should have the numbers 30--85--86--and 87 on it.. picture 1..
Picture 2 shows the bumper on the ground with the new lights installed. here you can see the tabs on the bezels and how easy it is to take them out when you can get to the tabs.
Picture 3 shows how you should strip back the casing on the wires of the drivers side reverse light.
Picture 4 shows how the connections at the relay should be made..
Purple wire to point 87 You will take points 30 and 85 and twist them together and attach it to the black wire at the reverse light. (ground) and point 86 will attach to the green wire (positive) of the drivers side reverse light as shown in picture 5..
complete your relay assembly by taping up the end of the relay and taping it to the OEM harness as shown in picture 6.. Don't forget to tape up your connections at the reverse light.

and that does it for the reverse light hook up..

pictures 7--8--and 9 show how I ran the techno harness along side the OEM harness
picture 10-- 11--12 and 13 show how I ran the power wire for the Techno harness. I used a pick tool to make a whole in the rubber grommet and feed the power wire threw it. then made the connection with the fuse holder in the driver side tail light bay.
Picture 14 is the passenger side completed.
and the last 3 pictures are of how I wired the duel intensity circuits for the AAC sidemarkers/turnsignals into the rear bumper instead of running the wire threw the relief vents in the rear quarter panels..
picture
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
oramaCamaro

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Any luck bypassing the shutdown of show mode when you hit the brakes?
oramaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Soundplus

Not yet. I have had a busy week. but I plan on trying to get it worked out this weekend. My electrician says my plan should work.. we will see. I will keep you posted..

Tags
bumper, rear bumper removal