Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #99
maroman1138

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Hey ahole, come over here to baton rouge and I can set you up with a couple dozen or more auto cars that will hand you your ass. But I know, you'll say "I missed a gear". Please. It's a fact that auto is the Trans of choice for speed heads or gear heads or whatever you wanna call them. Go to the frigging drag strip and count how many 10 second cars are running a manual. Then count the 11 second cars. Then 12 then 13..... And report back. Your gonna feel like an idiot. Because as the cars get faster, the less they use a manual.
Dude, there is no reason to go there. You are entitled to your opinion. And if you read my earlier posts you will see I don't care to race. My life is full of more important things than trying to appease or prove things to people like you. Believe me son, if I cared to, I would and I would do it well. Quit getting rowled up there tough guy and understand what I'm stating here.
2011 1SS/RS LS3 - Stage II Ported Heads, Stage II Comp Cam, Ported T.B., Hurst Shifter - 0BX LT Headers - CAT delete, Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Muffler delete - 4.5 Resonated tips, Spectre CAI, - 480 RWHP 442 TRQ. Dyno tuned by ARD.
maroman1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #100
maroman1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I still own manual cars. That's not the point. I just ordered a 2013 GT500. The question was why in a ZL1. I said it makes sense because it's what the people wanted ,and it's not a true sports car anyhow. I hate to tell you but a ZL1 owner in an automatic can be just as manly or just as much as a *ussy as in a manual SS. The car or the transmission doesn't make a man. It goes far deeper than that.
What's a true sports car? I'm not arguing the fact that it's what people wanted.
2011 1SS/RS LS3 - Stage II Ported Heads, Stage II Comp Cam, Ported T.B., Hurst Shifter - 0BX LT Headers - CAT delete, Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Muffler delete - 4.5 Resonated tips, Spectre CAI, - 480 RWHP 442 TRQ. Dyno tuned by ARD.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #101
maroman1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
It depends I said "Some" of the manual guys not "All". You seem uptight. Are you of the "Some" i'm referring to?
Maybe.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #102
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman1138 View Post
What's a true sports car? I'm not arguing the fact that it's what people wanted.
For starters, a true sports car doesn't have a back seat. This is a different argument for a different thread though.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #103
REVENGE

Drives: 1999 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaro2011 View Post
Why would you want to have a sports car automatic?
If they are not insecure men compensating for some short coming they get the auto because usually its faster and more usable in traffic.
REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #104
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Dude, there is no reason to go there. You are entitled to your opinion. And if you read my earlier posts you will see I don't care to race. My life is full of more important things than trying to appease or prove things to people like you. Believe me son, if I cared to, I would and I would do it well. Quit getting rowled up there tough guy and understand what I'm stating here.
I see. Your just one of those people that for some reason that cant be explained, you "think" a manual is faster. When your stock, and still slow....I'll admit, the manual is faster. I guess that has NOTHING to do with the fast the the L99 has 26hp Less. You didn't consider that did you? But really dude, go look at the fast list for heavily modified cars. I won't even bother, because I know the answer. But Really now that I think about it, who cares what you think.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #105
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVENGE View Post
If they are not insecure men compensating for some short coming they get the auto because usually its faster and more usable in traffic.
Agreed. And with 26hp less mind you.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #106
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Hmmm.....to say an auto shouldn't/doesn't belong in a "sports" car, you'd have to say the ZL1 is not a "sports" car since it has an A/C, cup holders, stereo, heater, etc...

I guess one would need to define what a "sports" car is.

Now for you manual enthusiast, if you really want to "drive" a car and work it, become a part of it, I suggest you drive a 1980 - 1986 911 with a 915 tranny. Then you'll really know what it's like to race on a road course with a manual transmission.

For me Ive grown out of wanting a manual, or maybe I'm just spoiled now that my dd is a Lexus isF.
Now take this isF on a road course and it will put some "Sports" cars to shame.
The shifting is simply awesome in this car and the paddle shifting is very crisp and quick, even on the downshifts.

However, I'll take a ZL1 in with any tranny, I just won't take it with a sunroof because "sports" cars don't have sunroofs....
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #107
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Look at the $200K and up supercars! All have DCT or automatics in them! Look at the $2.8 million Veyron - it more automatic then DCT - the latest model of it!
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #108
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Most people consider the act of rowing the gears (manly) and a traditional stick shift. In a F1 car you do not row the gears. You shift the gears on the steering wheel like in todays auto cars. This is the only comparison I was intending to make.

But if we want to get techie about it.

However, in 1997, the Berlinetta (a Ferrari) was the first ever road car to be equipped with the innovative F1-style gearbox management system. Derived directly from Formula 1, where it made its debut in 1989 winning the Brazilian Grand Prix, the electro-hydraulic system was operated by paddles behind the steering wheel.

Seems like the F1 tech is in production cars
My response was poorly worded,my apologies. What I meant was the PDK,DCT,and DSG are in no way similar to the trannys that GM uses. I know that Ferrari's first paddle shift car got much of its technology from their Formula 1 car.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #109
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
My response was poorly worded,my apologies. What I meant was the PDK,DCT,and DSG are in no way similar to the trannys that GM uses. I know that Ferrari's first paddle shift car got much of its technology from their Formula 1 car.

No problem you have been taking the high ground, unlike others that have posted I see you have a nice little stable of cars, have you ordered the 2013 Shelby. I would like to see some members with both cars.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #110
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Quote:
Cmon buddy, you know I'm right. ....
No, "buddy", I don't know your right. Further, I think you're dead wrong on many counts. But you are welcome to your "opinion". Hopefully this particular opinion is only expressed here.
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #111
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiceman View Post
I have always like a stick > I auto-crossed for many yrs and prefer the auto.Keep in mind back then they only had 3 speed auto, in vett,s.
I am 69 and if chevy doesn,t get on the stick when my ZL-1 gets here I will be 70.Camaro team 1/4 mile times are so close only the pro would be concerned.The auto will no doubt have a better resale value as well as more appeal to a large group of people.Not many younger set can afford or want one of these wow go getter's.
Auto's are worth less then stick. Everytime I go to Autotrader, I see what my 10 SS with auto is worth versus a manual and the manual is always worth more then stick. So I paid $1200 more for an auto and it is worth anywhere from $1200 to 1500 less then stick.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #112
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
For me I chose the manual because no matter what, the driver ALWAYS has more control with a stick over auto. And for me who only does road course I know for a fact I will be faster with a stick and have more fun in it.

I have raced DSG cars, SMG, autos, sticks, you name it on road courses all over the world and still prefer stick, but again it is my opinion! If I wanted to be fastest at down the 1320 auto FTW.

Quote:
F1 cars use paddle shifters like the auto ZL1, and you could say they race on tracks Besides the fact most high end sports cars (GT-R, 911 Turbo, Lambo Aventador, Ferrari 458 Italia) come with or only as autos, its all about options. Chevy gives you the option to choose unlike Ford
Quote:
Most people consider the act of rowing the gears (manly) and a traditional stick shift. In a F1 car you do not row the gears. You shift the gears on the steering wheel like in todays auto cars. This is the only comparison I was intending to make.

But if we want to get techie about it.

However, in 1997, the Berlinetta (a Ferrari) was the first ever road car to be equipped with the innovative F1-style gearbox management system. Derived directly from Formula 1, where it made its debut in 1989 winning the Brazilian Grand Prix, the electro-hydraulic system was operated by paddles behind the steering wheel.

Seems like the F1 tech is in production cars

F1 tech is used, correct! And Ferrari was at the forefront with it in street cars but the transmissions in the above mentioned cars are manual style transmission but with a electro-hydraulic operating system to control the clutch and shift. A wet converter style auto tranny has nothing in common whatsoever with these cars besides that it shifts it self.

The only late model Ferrari to be had with a true auto (4L80) was the Ferrari 456GTA and it was a horrible slow pig lol.

Lambo has run their E-Gear which breaks down every 10 min, and now recently went over to VAG's awesome DKG (double clutch gear box) which is still a non-converter style transmission.

Even though Ferrari did bring F1 tech into street cars, there is still very little on common hardware wise. You should see the size of the clutch on an F1, it is the size of a CD, whereas ours is the size of a pizza lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucedd View Post
I find some of these posts funny.

Some of the same people that defend the ZL1 vs the GT-500 by quoting faster ring times say they choose the automatic because it is faster in the 1/4.

It was a manual on the ring. So which is "faster"?
Actually, the CTS-V that had the sedan record run was an auto! Both for sure have their benefits
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote