Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
SoCalGrndR

Drives: 12 LFX SIM M6
Idle question - 12 LFX

First want to say what a great site!! 1st post

I just purchased mine in Feb and have enjoyed reading all the information on this site!

I want to see if anyone else experiences the same idle tendencies as mine with a cold start up. It will start up, idle high and steady then slowly go down (not to cold in SoCal). The idle will settle down to steady 500 rpm.

Question is this - it feels like little tremors, random shakes as it idles down. The tach stays steady and no change in rpm with the tremors. But after it settles to regular rpm they are no longer there.

Anyone else feel this? Is this normal?

Thanks!
SoCalGrndR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Really hard to say without seeing for myself in person, but sounds perfectly normal really. Unless the car really shakes like its miss-firing or something as it idles down then I doubt it is anything to worry about. Its just little bitty shakes...I wouldn't worry.

Welcome to the site!!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
2012_1LT/RS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT/RS
i have a 12 and mine does the exact same thing but never really thought anything of it.. so good ? anyone have a answer
2012_1LT/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Mezzmo

Drives: 2012 45th RS
I get the same thing. Only does it as it idles down to normal. Has never thrown a code and honestly, it's not very noticable. I'm taking mine to the dealer tomorrow to have a new headlight installed (moisture inside). My cousin works in the service department. I'll ask him. I'm sure they're going to say it's normal or wait for a code. If I have any news, I'll post it.
Mezzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
CPT_Hoolie

Drives: 2012 1LT RS
I've not had this problem with my '12.
CPT_Hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
every GM direct injected vehicles have it. its called cat warm up mode. strictly emission related only to warm up your catalyst converter super fast. it does this by commanding your car's idle to run high super rich, usually at 1k rpm for 20-30 seconds. Just make sure you keep your eye out while in this mode. There's been many guys including myself which include all GM SIDI brands that had their cat warm up mode misfire, causing rough idle, missing, shaking, during this 20-30 seconds. sometimes it will throw an actual misfire codes. There's a TSB for this. it supposed to reflash your ecm with higher idle. Some of us with a tune can't take advantage of this tho... little trembling and just a little shake here and there is completely normal. You will know if your cat warm up mode need attention.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Might just be the air pump. When the air pump kicks on during cold starts you might have a higher idle.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGrndR View Post

I just purchased mine in Feb and have enjoyed reading all the information on this site!

I want to see if anyone else experiences the same idle tendencies as mine with a cold start up. It will start up, idle high and steady then slowly go down (not to cold in SoCal). The idle will settle down to steady 500 rpm.

Question is this - it feels like little tremors, random shakes as it idles down. The tach stays steady and no change in rpm with the tremors. But after it settles to regular rpm they are no longer there.

Thanks!
I've had two GDI engines and they've both done this.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I have wondered and felt this exact same thing, I have driven older vehicles that mis-fired and that is the best way to explain it. I understand the fan/idle up and all that but this is a distinct twitch very very similiar to a mis-fire. I have ruled it out but I am going to mention it to my dealer on my first (free) oil change.

It comes and goes meaning it doesn't do this during every cold start. Maybe 2 of 5 times...

Seems like this may be something more than just a little shake...
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
llt i rented for a week did it as well.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGrndR View Post

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!! Yes my 2012 shakes from time to time it's normal on these new engines.. Now let's see some pics of your car! : )
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #12
1979Z282012LTRS

Drives: 1979 Camaro Z28, 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
Does anyone have any issue with their LFX on cold start where they will get a very high pitched whistle? My LFX has 800 miles on it and its done it for awhile. I don't know if its normal but its definitely an annoyance. It seems to only do it on a cold start though and eventually goes away. The stereo is off, the fans are off so I know there's not interference through there.
1979Z282012LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Yup, mine too. But to me it's a non-issue. I love my car!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote