Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1807
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
The quickest way (albeit not exactly my preferred way) to diffuse that situation was to simply drop your firearm. You were totally outgunned no matter how you look at it. As long as they saw whatever firearm you were holding as a possible threat, there could still be the potential of someone acting on nervous impulse and shooting both you and your woman. As to placing your body between your wife and them, that's very honorable, but I personally wouldn't have given them two easy targets to hit. Besides, based on your post, it doesn't sound like they were very far away and standing in front of your wife would've only made it easier for them to kill both of you with even just one well placed (or totally accidental off-the-wall lucky) shot from, perhaps, a nervous hand. As to prosecuting then, I hope you got a good look at these guys or know them well because you will positively need to identify them to the police.

Honestly, if it was my "neighbors" that did that, I would make a one time attempt to visit them and discuss the situation in an entirely different setting. It's hard to argue with "nice". If they're civil people, it may make talking about it (without the guns around) something that everyone honestly regrets and does their best to avoid in the future. If you work it out, and you still plan on target practicing, work out a location that is acceptable to both homes. That way they can then expect to hear gun fire from your direction not interpret it as hostile. After all, unless you plan to move, they WILL be your inlaws neighbors for whatever amount of time to come. If theyre a bunch of yahoos - or gung-ho-back-land "F" off and-die-I hate-you people, or drug dealers, it may not get you anywhere to visit them. Then you can decide if you want to file charges.

We have a private campground located out of town that we spent the weekends at. We have a next door neighbor who owns a house a few hundred yards through the woods next to us. Both places like to enjoy shooting lots of firearms (.22s all the way up through Military and big bore hunting rifles). We have met with the owner of the other place and worked out solid "shoot-only-in this-direction" for target practicing as well as acceptable hours during the day to shoot. Works for everyone and no one gets pissed off.

My .02 cents worth.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #1808
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I wasn't saying to place himself in front of his wife as an honorable gesture. It's harder to hit two people if they only have one body signature

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #1809
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Actually its not harder. If the 3 men were at a close enough range (as was implied) it would be very easy for 1 round to kill both people by going through the first person and striking the 2nd person behind them, whether directly or indirectly. SKS = 7.62x39 round. I've shot AK47s and SKSs through houses and cars and impacted targets on the other side. I was simply suggesting that you not give them the chance to take out 2 people with what might be 1 unintentionally fired round.
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #1810
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
I have taken down trees about 15 inch diameter with an SKS (Really fun BTW!)

Anyway Sheriffs Office said they can't do anything without the persons name even though I know where they live. Then the S.O. said the people could just deny it ever happened. Sheriff deputy did say it was "Assault" and a felony, if there was anything he could do about it.

My boss at work said they were probably guarding their "Business" by flexing thier muscle to warn us to stay away from the area. Seems like every other house in the area is a Meth house.
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #1811
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog1911 View Post
I have taken down trees about 15 inch diameter with an SKS (Really fun BTW!)

Anyway Sheriffs Office said they can't do anything without the persons name even though I know where they live. Then the S.O. said the people could just deny it ever happened. Sheriff deputy did say it was "Assault" and a felony, if there was anything he could do about it.

My boss at work said they were probably guarding their "Business" by flexing thier muscle to warn us to stay away from the area. Seems like every other house in the area is a Meth house.
Meth is bad out in the country. I am just glad that you are OK.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #1812
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
BTW, those with the Comp-Tac holsters.
I'm guessing this is new but the kydex part of my holster has the initials CT and the gun model going down the side.
I thought it was a pretty cool touch.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #1813
11BEE
11 BEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
BTW, those with the Comp-Tac holsters.
I'm guessing this is new but the kydex part of my holster has the initials CT and the gun model going down the side.
I thought it was a pretty cool touch.
Cool. What do you think of it? Did you get Smarties?

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #1814
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Yeah, got the smarties. They were gone in 5 minutes, haven't had any in a while.
The quality is really good and it's comfortable. But I don't have the gun I'll be using it with right now, so I'll have to wait to actually judge it in a month.

I'm still concerned about printing. I wore it with a similar weapon that fits and I thought it was noticable but that's maybe because I know it's there. This is my first concealed carry holster so I'm not sure what to expect.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1815
11BEE
11 BEE

The first time I carried, I was wearing a jacket and was IWB. I could have sworn people were staring at me and everyone could see it. Now, I usually don't think about it. Not one person ever has questioned me.

A friend once told me he can see every concealed gun on everyone. He is LEO and trained. So I went out to lunch with him with two IWB, one on my ankle and one on in my pocket just to prove a point. He never noticed. You will over think it on your first few carries, but remember not one person is looking at your waist, unless of course you are an 18 year old hot girl with a belly shirt.

I am a member of a forum dedicated to Concealed Carry. On this forum it is a tradition to have a new carry person do the Wally Walk. Conceal your gun and spend 60 minutes at Walmart. Shop, look around and go to the bathroom when there. You get bonus points if you buy ammo or take pictures and post them. I think this is a good tradition for you to start here. LOL I am expecting to hear your Wally Walk report and to see photos of you walking around with your weapon, concealed of course.

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #1816
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

My Wally Walk will be kinda like getting thrown in the lion's den.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1817
11BEE
11 BEE

That is the reason for the Wally Walk. Not like my first carry experience ever. I got my CHL on Christmas Eve. My first time was to midnight mass. I was so excited after waiting 3 months to get it, I was going to carry it that night. Talk about feeling self conscious.

11Bee and I♥My45th
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #1818
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

It'll be interesting for sure.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #1819
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I felt the same way when I first started carrying. Nobody has ever said anything or noticed it. Seriously go walk around wally world and just be natural its good practice and will seriously build confidence. Just don't drive your Camaro there we don't need another door ding or parking to close thread

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #1820
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
I felt the same way when I first started carrying. Nobody has ever said anything or noticed it. Seriously go walk around wally world and just be natural its good practice and will seriously build confidence. Just don't drive your Camaro there we don't need another door ding or parking to close thread

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
I carry when walking through my neighborhood. More concerned about coyotes than thugs, but they do exist. One day I meet up with a neighbor and the topic of guns came up. I reached into my pocket and they gasped as I drew my... Iphone to show them a picture of a pistol. (haha)

Ironically, no one seemed to notice my Glock tucked away IWB.

But dont kid yourself. Although the general public wont notice, LEO are good at spotting concealed weapons.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun