Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
SpectroBR

Drives: Renault Duster 1.5 dCi 4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop11 View Post
what would you use, just over the county line I can get 91 octane gas
that is NO ETHANOL.
my owners manual states at least 91 octane but 93 for better performance
the county I live in has 93 octane gas with 10% Ethanol.

what would be the way to go 91 no ethanol or 93 with 10% ethanol.

thanks for any replies
it's pretty simple, actually. Ethanol is more knock resistant, but packs less energy per gallon compared to gasoline. So, with the gas-ethanol blend you get higher knock resistance (hence the higher octane rating) but less MPG.
SpectroBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #16
SpectroBR

Drives: Renault Duster 1.5 dCi 4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Well, 100 years ago or so, premium was called ethyl. I have no idea if it had ethanol or not. The pumps here all say there may be up to 10% ethanol. I would guess the 93 does not contain that much ethanol but I don't have any way to conduct an analysis.

I use the 93 mix most of the time. Ran some 91 a few times on a road trip and I didn't notice any difference.
Ethyl is actually another name for the infamous leaded gasoline.

"The addition of tetra-ethyl lead (TEL), a soluble salt added to gasoline was common until it was discontinued for reasons of toxic pollution. Lead dust added to the intake charge will also reduce knock with various hydrocarbon fuels. Manganese compounds are also used to reduce knock with petrol fuel."
SpectroBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
So what popular brands have 93 with no ethanol in Texas? Does Kroger have ethanol in their gas?
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroBR View Post
it's pretty simple, actually. Ethanol is more knock resistant, but packs less energy per gallon compared to gasoline. So, with the gas-ethanol blend you get higher knock resistance (hence the higher octane rating) but less MPG.
Exactly! Additionally, considering how sensitive the knock sensors can be on our LSX motors ( good thing; detonation in a hi-po engine is BAD ), you'll increase the chance your ECM falls back to the low-octane advance table anyway... then you're losing ~30 HP.

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
mopar75110

Drives: 2010 camaro SS
My youngest son has a small-engine repair business and he can't keep up with the work people are bringing him.....ethanol in the fuel gums up the little orifices and passageways in the small carburetors. People need to use Stabil or a similar product and always buy the higher octane rated fuel for small engines. Ethanol is a curse......more of our wonderful government in action!!!
mopar75110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
RumRunner

Drives: '12 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar75110 View Post
My youngest son has a small-engine repair business and he can't keep up with the work people are bringing him.....ethanol in the fuel gums up the little orifices and passageways in the small carburetors. People need to use Stabil or a similar product and always buy the higher octane rated fuel for small engines. Ethanol is a curse......more of our wonderful government in action!!!
You should see what it is doing to the fiberglass underground tanks at gas stations. This picture is the resin being eaten by a 10% Ethanol fuel.
Attached Images

RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
bluebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTSS View Post
[...] though ethanol isnt too great for fuel lines, fuel pumps, or injectors.
Er... Bollocks. All US cars/trucks have been built with ethanol blend compatible fuel lines, hoses, injectors, internals, etc. for nearly two decades, to the point that it's a non-issue today. (I work for a company that supplies rubber and polymer materials to the industry...). Filling your tank often is the only concession with eth blends to eliminate any potential water condensation.

Several cars, several hundred thousand miles later, never ever had a problem. Off-brand stations would be much more of an issue, if they don't turn their tanks over often enough.

Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
bluebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
You should see what it is doing to the fiberglass underground tanks at gas stations. This picture is the resin being eaten by a 10% Ethanol fuel.
That sure looks like MTBE contamination, which was taken out of fuels years ago (replaced with ethanol, of course). It's known to leave a red stain in concentration.... But I'm going from old recollection here.

Then I'm done, I swear.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectroBR View Post
^^ This is correct. You would get slightly more performance with 93 octane ethanol because the ECM will allow a little more timing advance. Your fuel ecomomy is the trade-off.

I've run 93 10% ethanol gas since I bought mine because I do not have non-ethanol 93 in my area, just 91. Runs great, and I couldn't care less about MPG.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
special request

Drives: looking ofr bumblebee
demande spéciale

Bonjour,

je tente ma chance sur votre club. Je suis à la recherche d'une camaro jaune pour quelques heures. Je m'explique: Mon fils aura 6 ans en juillet et il capote sur bumblebee. Pour son anniversaire j'aimerais le surprendre et aller le chercher en camaro jaune pour l'amene à son party de fête. J'ai appelé toute la compagnie de location de voiture et aucune n'ont les camaro, encore moins une jaune. J'ai contacté quelques concessionnaire chevrolet et il ne font pas de location ou de prêt pour 1 journée. Je suis de la région de Gatineau et quitte à payer j'aimerais soit louer une camaro pour 1 journée ou demandé à un propriétaire d'une camaro jaune de venir me chercher moi et mon fils et nous amener au party d'anniversaire. Si vous connssaisez quelqu'un qui serait prêt à faire cela je suis intéressé en entrain en communication avec. Merci beaucoup
special request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
I think this may be more personal preference.

If I had the option I would stick with the 91. I have become anti-ethanol. :(

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #27
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrchris View Post
I have proven this time and time again with my Honda Pilot & Dodge Durango. While I save an extra 5-10 cents per gallon on 10% ethanal I loooose .5-3mpg.

Sure it depends on driving style and conditions but I have had the same results numerous times. Not ONCE have I ever gotten better MPG with ethanal over pure.

Scenario:
15,000 average miles per year / 20 miles per gallon = 750 gallons X $0.10 savings for ethanal = a mere $75.00 savings PER YEAR... Now deduct the lower mpg and you will end up a little worse than just running without ethanal.

No savings in my book.
Yeah, I commute 435 miles a week in my Olds daily driver. I only use that car to commute and nothing else, plus I only work nights, so traffic, stoplights, and all of my driving variables are extremely consistent from tank to tank. I have run multiple tanks of ethanol compared to multiple tanks of pure gas, again, all with very, very consistent driving conditions.

I've found that the E10 blend nets between 6-8% fewer MPGs every single time. I can get pure gas for 8 to 14 cents a gallon more (my station varies from time to time), but given the mileage drop on E10, at $3.50/gallon, the break even point is 21 to 28 cents a gallon, so I know I'm coming out ahead.

And as an added bonus, I don't have to take the time to fill up as often (30+ more miles a tank), and the car starts easier and runs smoother when cold or only half-warmed up on pure gas, whereas it stumbles on E10 until warmed up.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #28
RumRunner

Drives: '12 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox View Post
That sure looks like MTBE contamination, which was taken out of fuels years ago (replaced with ethanol, of course). It's known to leave a red stain in concentration.... But I'm going from old recollection here.
The red is just the color of the resin. I have had tanks that are only 7 years old fail. They are built for a 30 yr life.
Will a E10 blend ruin your car? Probably not but I would avoid it if I had the choice.
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote