Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #57
blk96gt

Drives: 11 SS(sold),96 Mustang,12 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree completely but $200000 for inflation? I seriously doubt itll be that much lol. Look at how thigns are going, no way what you buy for $40k will cost $200000 in 30-40 yrs. If thats the case, look for half the nation to be homeless living under an overpass near you.
I'm not saying a car will cost $200k. But the annual inflation rate is around 3-4%. 3.5% over 40 years is ~$160,000. As an example, an item that I bought in 1964 for $2000 is equivalent to $14,000 today.
blk96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #58

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I agree that "someday" these cars will be considered "collectible" at some point in the future...perhaps as the last of the dinosaur-fueled performance cars...I enjoy keeping my car nice and clean and well-maintained, but not with an eye on making money off of it in 30-40 years...If it happens to some degree, fine, I'll take it.

Just an observation though, I never imagined that these cars would get the "looks" from such very young (middle school, high school) kids as these do. I think that bodes well for the near future as far as used car values...These young kids will definitely remember which car "put the hook in them" when they were still too young to drive, the same as it did with a lot of us who were too young for the first gens. Not only IMO are they a Gen that is very popular now, but will be 2nd in line of the gens in value behind the first gen.

Collectible? Desireable? Valuable?...I think we are at least in a position for that to be the case to some good degree for the years ahead.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #59
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
WGAS. Buy the car, enjoy the hell out of it and move on
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #60
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Interesting I guess...but I have never bought a car hoping its gonna be a collector's item. haha! I buy a car knowing the second I take it off the late it is going to depreciate, and keep depreciating. I buy it and make it mine with all the mods and I enjoy the hell outta her...and then a few years later (usually 4 or so) I will sell it and buy another one. Maybe its just me.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #61
02SS#214

Drives: 2002 Camaro NBM Hartop SS
The main reason that those older muscle cars are worth so much is because of the gas shortages that caused everyone to get rid of their Hemi's and any other gas guzzler. And alot of them got scrapped, which made a car that was built with 3,000 other cars of the same model down to 1,500 left (example #'s), making it more rare. Now I love the 5th gens, but why do you think a re-make of another camaro would become worth so much more in the long run? The 5th Gen is just an updated remake of a 1st Gen and Chevy did that to satisfy everyones craiving for the old muscle car with new style. So just enjoy it for what it is
02SS#214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #62

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SS#214 View Post
The main reason that those older muscle cars are worth so much is because of the gas shortages that caused everyone to get rid of their Hemi's and any other gas guzzler. And alot of them got scrapped, which made a car that was built with 3,000 other cars of the same model down to 1,500 left (example #'s), making it more rare. Now I love the 5th gens, but why do you think a re-make of another camaro would become worth so much more in the long run? The 5th Gen is just an updated remake of a 1st Gen and Chevy did that to satisfy everyones craiving for the old muscle car with new style. So just enjoy it for what it is
I agree...No way of knowing what may happen in the future. I don't think it's worth "investing" in one of these cars just to "hope" it becomes more valuable. I think that is pre-mature for sure. I could be wrong, but my guess is based on "popularity" of this gen compared to others, and with the styling, the demand for these as drivers will probably be more than any of the other gens. It's que's that harken to "the old muscle car style" may eventually translate into something down the road as it did for the first gen...but for sure, there's no reason enough to not drive and enjoy them now.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #63
walter085

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvincent4708 View Post

when it becomes the age of say at 69... say 30-40 years old

it'll be something...

the 02 anniversary edition isn't worth anything yet..but will be.. patience people..patience.
I agree, I doubt any one back in the late 60's thought that era's muscle cars would be worth what they are today. 40 years is a long time but no one can say for certain these cars will not be collectible. I think it is almost certain they will be, if the V8 is ever discontinued. However it really doesn't matter to me, I bought the car to enjoy and someday pass down to my son to enjoy. It's one hell of a nice car.

Last edited by walter085; 06-20-2012 at 05:42 PM.
walter085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #64
02SS#214

Drives: 2002 Camaro NBM Hartop SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter085 View Post
I think it is almost certain they will be, if the V8 is ever discontinued
That's not going to Happen. You would have a better chance of mullets becoming the "Cool thing" again... that and Parachute pants
02SS#214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #65
Dr. Love

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
I agree with the op. However, to go into it further, I can see maybe someday a special optioned car or ABM possibly being worth more some day than the regular mass produced cars. Not a whole lot more money, just a little more. I hope nobody walked onto a car lot and picked up a 5th gen with the hopes that it will be worth double or tripple it's price in the near future. These cars will just be used cars for the next 20 plus years. Either way I love mine for the enjoyment I get from driving it, not for what it could be worth 40 years from now.
I have an all original stock ABM. I rarely drive it. If it stays in the same, prestine condition for 40 years, it will be worth something. Will it be hundreds of thousands of dollars? No. I will never sell it, but it could put some money in the bank for my kids or grandkids way, way into the future.

On another note, I enjoy my car in my way. I don't drive it because I don't have to. I don't want to mod it. My husband has a car he spends time and money on doing that. I enjoy the occasional Saturday or Sunday that I take it out of the garage and down the road for a bit.

Dr. Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #66
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
If thats the case, look for half the nation to be homeless living under an overpass near you.

Someone finally gets it. That's exactly where we are headed if you didn't notice.

Cost of things keep going up, salaries aren't.

Obama extended unemployment for 99 weeks to try to slow down the fall of the so called middle class, but its still gonna happen.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #67
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Watch Mecum or Barrett Jackson auctions and see all the late 70's and 80's Camaros (and Trans Am's) going for next to nothing.

Only 60's and early 70's sell for a decent amount.

If that math holds up, even you 20-somethings will be old men before 5th Gens are considered classics and sell like classics.
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #68
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I respectfully disagree on the OP. To hard to predict the future on this one. A whole host of things in society could change in 40 years that could alter what people want and don't want. However, if people want to think they won't eventually hold their value and treat their cars as such, more power to those that take care of them!
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #69
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I could care less if the 5th gen will be collectible. At my age I probably won't be around in 40 years so I am going to enjoy mine while I can!

The best way to buy a car for future collectibility is to watch the used car values of the cars you feel may appreciate in the future. When the prices start rising over a couple years buy then and hold on to it. Right now second gen Camaros and Firebirds are starting to go up, but only the best of the best. Z28s,TAs and Formulas for the most part.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #70
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I could care less if the 5th gen will be collectible. At my age I probably won't be around in 40 years so I am going to enjoy mine while I can!
Amen. Value of my car in the future is my son's problem! I don't plan on getting rid of it.
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote