Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #3193
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
Ya it's nice to have a cushy car but honestly I like muscle to be raw and visceral. I'm an outcast I guess but I like delrin, tubular steel and aluminum, solid aluminum, hardened steel, billet steel, etc to make up my chassis and suspension. Electronic this and that are great in my fx35 but for my fun car, I like that race car non isolated, fully connected feel. Ya it's tougher to drive and rough but hey, I drive an fx daily for comfort, I like the idea of a viper or 65 Shelby cobra roadster more so than a cts-v or amg style car.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3194
HPT BANDIT

Drives: 1999 Ford Lightning
The comparisons remind me of the old Vettes vs. Vipers. Both great cars but in totally different ways.
HPT BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #3195
tt335ci03cobra

Drives: 03 cobra 5.3 4v fgt's+62's
That's a very good example. A 2002 gts was a faster car in a line and on some tracks back than a z06 of the time but it was more crude and had brake issues. It's issues we're non abs related consistency, today's gt500 comes its pedestrian grade brake fluid that's easily addressed for track goers.

Zl1 vs gt500 is suprisingly similar. One car is refined and exemplary for daily driving while being plenty fast and faster on some road courses, the gt500 is faster in a line and faster on some courses but it's brakes can fade on the factory setup fluid and pads.

One also has medium gearing, the other has gearing to get to the moon. Ones cheaper, ones pricier, etc.

All 4 are great cars, god bless America damnit.
-9.3/1 Livernois 5.3 modular, Diamond, Carrillo etc
-FGT heads stage 3 PnP'd, MMR stage 3 turbo grinds
-FR500c, custom split maf dual inlet, single blade etc
-Comp 62/65 T4's 3xbb, oil/water cooled, blankets etc
-CG Fab. ff headers, custom 3" hotside, Tial wastegates
-Dual in/out 3" cold side, Tial bov's, Truboost, SCT, NGk
-Custom 8qt oil, dual 405s return fuel with id2000's, etc
tt335ci03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #3196
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
Has anyone seen a Road & Track comparison between the ZL1 and the 2013 GT500??

Thanks, Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #3197
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
I bought a garage mate for my SS yesterday

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #3198
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post
I bought a garage mate for my SS yesterday

WoW! a vert in Maine? that puppy's going to have some low miles over it's lifetime or what? Very nice, I'm sure the boys(and some gals) will be interested in your review of that beast. Congratulations, many miles of smiles to you good sir.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #3199
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
My latest copy of Hot Rod Magazine showed up yesterday, with their take on the GT500-Atlanta press event. Seems as though their times were 12.2-12.3, tires had to be "just right" and LC/revs had to be "just right". Not an easy deal apparently.
Also, the lapping session at Road Atlanta saw each driver make ONE lap, and then pit-in. Get out of the car and go to the back of the line and wait for a lap in whatever car was there when your next turn came. ONE more lap, pit-in, wait.
Hardly enough time to get a real feel for its ultimate capabilities, and hardly a routine to truly test the brakes. ONE lap, stop, change drivers, ONE lap, stop, change drivers etc.
They look forward to a side-by-side comparo under unchaperoned, real world conditions.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #3200
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
My latest copy of Hot Rod Magazine showed up yesterday, with their take on the GT500-Atlanta press event. Seems as though their times were 12.2-12.3, tires had to be "just right" and LC/revs had to be "just right". Not an easy deal apparently.
Also, the lapping session at Road Atlanta saw each driver make ONE lap, and then pit-in. Get out of the car and go to the back of the line and wait for a lap in whatever car was there when your next turn came. ONE more lap, pit-in, wait.
Hardly enough time to get a real feel for its ultimate capabilities, and hardly a routine to truly test the brakes. ONE lap, stop, change drivers, ONE lap, stop, change drivers etc.
They look forward to a side-by-side comparo under unchaperoned, real world conditions.
That one lap, change drivers, one lap, change drivers method is pretty rough on a vehicle. Especially considering how driving styles vary between people.

At the AMG driving academy, during an autocross this was implemented. It wasn't terribly hot in Monterey, CA as it was in October. But, if a driver pushed the car (C63) to hard it would get hot and go into the reduce power mode. The next person in line would either notice before hand or find out in the middle of the course when the engine temp. increased.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #3201
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
That one lap, change drivers, one lap, change drivers method is pretty rough on a vehicle. Especially considering how driving styles vary between people.

At the AMG driving academy, during an autocross this was implemented. It wasn't terribly hot in Monterey, CA as it was in October. But, if a driver pushed the car (C63) to hard it would get hot and go into the reduce power mode. The next person in line would either notice before hand or find out in the middle of the course when the engine temp. increased.
IIRC, the Ford-Road Atlanta sessions were largely (if not all) chaperoned with Ford people riding shotgun. That would have kept banzai runs to minimum.
Heat issues in a relatively low-speed autocross would be more prevalent than a high-speed 1:40-1:50 lap (or so) at Road Atlanta. And the higher speeds with only ONE lap, combined with waiting/idling time, would reduce brake heating/fade as well.
One of the strange things I've found in these media reports of the ZL1 vs. GT 500 is, the only reference to engine heat soak was in Car and Driver's comparison, done in mid-May in Michigan (hardly a furnace that time of year). The one with the heat soak issue was the GT 500, NOT the ZL1.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #3202
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
WoW! a vert in Maine? that puppy's going to have some low miles over it's lifetime or what? Very nice, I'm sure the boys(and some gals) will be interested in your review of that beast. Congratulations, many miles of smiles to you good sir.
Thanks! Yes, the convertible season up here is about 27 minutes long

Once I get some miles on it I'll try to give a comparison. My wife's car is the CGM SS in the background, not a ZL1, but supercharged
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #3203
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT

Quote:
With a brand new generation of Mustangs looming on the horizon, you would think Ford would start pulling back when it comes to the power and performance of the outgoing Mustangs. But you’d be wrong. Take the 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet, which clicks off a 0-60 mph of 2.57 seconds and can run the quarter-mile in the high 8-second range at over 150 mph. That’s going to be a hard act to follow.

At the heart of the Cobra Jet’s success is a 5.0 liter V8 that comes in naturally aspirated and supercharged flavors. Ford Racing recently took one of the naturally aspirated models and strapped it to an engine dyno. If you’ve ever wanted to hear this engine in its most raw and primal form, here’s your chance.

Tested on Ford Racing’s 17G dyno, you would think we’d get dyno numbers to go along with this video. Alas, that is not the case, as the dyno numbers are not yet being released (most likely due to the highly-competitive nature of this vehicle). However, we can infer from previous passes at the drag strip that the naturally aspirated Cobra Jet 5.0 is making in the range of 600 or 700 horsepower at the crank.

The video itself is rather revealing as well. For a full 30 seconds, the 5.0 liter Cobra Jet engine revs higher and higher. Eventually the headers even begin to glow red from all the spent horsepower exiting through its pipes. The sight is at once inspiring, awesome, and a little scary. We wouldn’t want to run up against any Cobra Jet-powered car at the drag strip. That’s just an embarrassment waiting to happen.
http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-2...the-dyno-test/

stock boss heads and cams. so much for being maxxed out, eh.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #3204
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
That's pretty impressive, are you sure it's stock heads and cams though I don't know where you pull these things unless you are an insider or something?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #3205
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
That's pretty impressive, are you sure it's stock heads and cams though I don't know where you pull these things unless you are an insider or something?
Small correction. The intake cam is stock, the exhaust cam isn't.

Here is more info on the motor.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e/viewall.html
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #3206
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Small correction. The intake cam is stock, the exhaust cam isn't.

Here is more info on the motor.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e/viewall.html
Thank you sir, the engine screams.