Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #57
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
So what are my options on buying the catch cans and maybe links to vendor sites or any info would help.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #58
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Either way, I'd rather drain a catch can every time I change my oil then pull appart half the induction system and screw around with sprays and vaccuum hoses to clean it out.

And just for the sake of arguement. The "snake oil" salesmen would "create" a need for something (as you put it) that same way a repairman (technician) would tell you its not a problem, just bring it to me every 3 months and pay me to clean it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Firstly, my qualifications:

1. Associates degree in automotive technology
2. ASE Master Certification in A1-A8, plus L1
3. Ford Senior Master-Certified technician, the third tech in the nation to achieve this
4. 18 years as a professional drivability, engine, and electrical technician
5. Former drag and dirt track racer

Yeah, I'm qualified.

You can get a can of BG induction cleaner for $15. Anyone can learn how to apply the cleaner using nothing but a plain old vacuum hose. The results are 100% effective (no, I don't sell the stuff, and have nothing to gain by promoting it). If used every 15k miles, the throttle body, intake, valves, and even the tops of the pistons will be restored to like-new condition.

That said, over the course of 100,000 miles of driving, one would spend $100 to do what an expensive catch can does. Add to the fact that you are required to drain the can every few thousand miles, it makes the can method a less desireable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.

Last edited by Infinite-T; 06-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #59
45anni-gen5
Chevy 4 Life

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary RS Vert
picked up my full aluminum catch can from irocanSS who is a member of this site. for 15.00 i thought it was a steal
Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45anni-gen5 View Post
picked up my full aluminum catch can from irocanSS who is a member of this site. for 15.00 i thought it was a steal
That is a steal. Unfortunately, that's not the normal price. He was demodding his car to trade it in.

The RX can is the best and you have to order via paypal. I think his email is rxproducts@aol.com. I'm sure he will chime in to verify.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #61
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Website is live now!

The deposits already on the valves can be cleaned somewhat from a upper induction cleaning, but to get them back like new it takes removing them and cleaning manually. Thats what the BMW Mini motors are having to do at as little as 30-50K miles it is so bad.

Upper induction cleaning will loosen a good deal of the deposits, but once they are there the volumetric efficiancy of the entire runer, port, valves is decreased. The motor will never flow as efficiently as when the valves, piston tops, and combustion chamber were new and as designed.

The real benefit is after installing the can that does catch all, or nearly all the oil you will have little to no additional deposits from the intake air charge contamination.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #62
sprint17

Drives: 2012 ls
Just to update I haven't got a catch can yet but I ran some sea foam through it and today I took the manifold off to see what I got and surprised that about 85% of it was gone. And while I had off I cleaned the intake valves and got majority off. I got a slim look at the top of the piston #2 and it looked good, I've seen worse on race motors.

On a side note I was thinking of taking the left head breather and putting a one way breather on it from one of our sb2 motors and plugging the hole on the intake. but Ive read it mess with the fuel trims? I don't quite understand how the pressure in the head messes with the fuel trims. if someone could explain much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by sprint17; 07-12-2012 at 12:21 PM.
sprint17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #63
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Simply install a clear glass inline fuel filter between any can and the IM and see it fill up. Then do it w/the RX can and see no oil ingestion period. Thats why I have shown so many pictures of engines using the RX can from new vs no can....or a poor functioning can.

Look close at the cutaway RX to see just how complex the routing, baffeling chambers,coalscing, and condensing....as well as the flow controlling check valves,etc. No other can has even a fraction of the internal design and with over 10,000 sold, it continues to outperform any period.
Well I, for one, appreciate having the Rx Catch Can under my hood. Snake oil? I don't think so. I did my homework on catch cans and their functionality and effectiveness. True... they are not all highly functional but the Rx product is, according to test results, photos, and customer feedback. I sleep better at night knowing my engine is protected from the harmful crap being recirculated through the PCV system.

Thank you, Rx.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #64
Johnny Kanuk

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS
I have to ask this, why doesn't GM put one on from the factory? If it is this bad, and from seeing the pics in the thread I have to say there is deffinately some legitimacy to the need for a catch can or the chemical cleaning. Has GM even come out with a statement going either way on this? I know how a dealer would go anything to make a buck I guess. Looks like I am adding to my mods list and moving this to the top. If I can prevent it why not. I imagine the chem way, if done by me, would put out nice big plumes of white smoke? Kinda like when I tried to clean the carb on my old '83 CJ way back in my college days

Rember, Beauty is fleeting.
Crazy, that lasts forever.
Johnny Kanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #65
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Kanuk View Post
I have to ask this, why doesn't GM put one on from the factory? If it is this bad, and from seeing the pics in the thread I have to say there is deffinately some legitimacy to the need for a catch can or the chemical cleaning.
GM would have to raise the price of every vehicle to include one, plus they lose out on the money from the induction system cleaning.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #66
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
GM would have to raise the price of every vehicle to include one, plus they lose out on the money from the induction system cleaning.

That and the average car buyer today never even thinks of these things. They want to be able to use the cheapest low octaine fuel, the cheapest oil, and not have another service procedure and a catchcan has to be emptied unless it is like some out there (maggie does this which is horrifing on the mopar kits) return the condensed oil that has also condensed all the damaging compunds with it back to the crankcase. This defeats the PCV's purpose of removing these compounds before they cause the damage.....
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #67
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
OK time for me to chime in.... Is a catch can needed... NO it is not, all makes and models are designd not to have one and as everyone knows last for 100s of thousands of miles.... all car engines are designed to have the oil burned up though exhust... I have a an elite catch can it works and looks great... I pour at least 1/4 can every oil change, and I take car of the things I own so I just see this as an added step in ensuring the car last for as long as possible and runs well...
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #68
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Volvos been using the concept forever and thats just how long their engines run.

But, valve deposits are normal guys. No reason to freak at whats in post #1.

No reason not to have a can either.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #69
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint17 View Post
Just to update I haven't got a catch can yet but I ran some sea foam through it and today I took the manifold off to see what I got and surprised that about 85% of it was gone. And while I had off I cleaned the intake valves and got majority off. I got a slim look at the top of the piston #2 and it looked good, I've seen worse on race motors.

On a side note I was thinking of taking the left head breather and putting a one way breather on it from one of our sb2 motors and plugging the hole on the intake. but Ive read it mess with the fuel trims? I don't quite understand how the pressure in the head messes with the fuel trims. if someone could explain much appreciated. Thanks
85% of your manifold was gone?
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
texasrebel

Drives: 2012 Silver Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
That's what my dealer said, "If GM wanted it that way, they would have designed it that way." This came from the same person who, when asked, did not even know what a catch can was . Admittedly, I didn't hardly know either, but I'm not a service manager. Maybe if I had said "oil separator"? In any case, I could tell right away that the words "aftermarket" and "modification" to him equals "warranty voided".

So in a case where someone is about to turn 23k miles with no catch can, would it be recommended to do the cleaning first, then the install, or just live with what has already accumulated and install a catch can to prevent any further ingestion?

The idea of leftover deposits being knocked loose and swirling around doesn't make one feel warm and fuzzy...
I dont think you will void your warranty, there have been many people on here with the catch can that have had warranty work done. if your dealer service manager gives you hard time about "aftermarket" or "modifications",I would take to another dealer and they also have to prove that your mod is what caused the problem.
texasrebel is offline   Reply With Quote