Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
cleopatra

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS/RS , 2007 Dodge Ram
Question What type of exaust

I am looking into changing my exaust.I want a realy aggressive sound.I want more aggressive than normal
cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
If you're meaning axle back....Borla or Corsa are pretty loud or some have simply eliminated the trash can mufflers for a really loud sound. Cherry Bomb is loud also.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Well if you truely want an aggressive sound I would recommend long tube headers first. You can run a loud axelback/catback or even cut your mufflers off but it won't get over the top loud untill you have some long tube headers. If you want a loud exhaust that also happens to sound amazing look into a full Stainless Works system with the retro chambered mufflers. Epic sound! You can always add cut outs for some extreme volume as well.

Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
cleopatra

That sound is close to what I'm looking for,however I would opt for more volume.A friend who has the same car has a borla exhaust sound had the extreme volume,but yet almost sounded trashy if that makes since . I ask what all he had done to it,but before he had time to tell me I made a comment about the trashy undertone I heard....I should have kept my mouth shut,because it made him mad,now I have no way of knowing....thanks for the recomendations. I will keep them in mind on my journey to HOT ROD my camaro out
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Sounds nice!!!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
The Kooks "Street Sleeper" is a great system. Here is an info thread we posted a while back.

Quote:
We have had some request for a quieter system than the current Kooks 3" system. In working with Kooks, we found the 3" system is loud, and on occasion can drone because the large 3" pipes create a low pressure area in the center of the exhausts. In simple terms, this allows the sound waves more room to bouce around and vibrate in the exhaust, which creates more sound, and in some cases drone.

Earlier this month, Kooks sent us a 2.5" version of this catback to test. In testing this, we did it in a "worst case" scenario. An automatic car always drones before an M6, so we chose to install it on my wifes L99 SS. To make the task even harder for the exhaust, we added high flow cats to the car. The cats add sound, and can induce drone with other exhausts. To round it out, we left the car otherwise bone stock with AFM still active.

The exhaust itself is all CNC bent, TIG welded, 304 stainless steel. It comes with Kooks straight through oval mufflers, and 4" double wall tips. It will connect to your stock mid pipes, or any aftermarket mid pipes/headers that retain the stock barrel clamps under the seats.

The videos and pictures below tell the rest of the story. Basically, this exhaust is awesome. It has a great deep rumble, but as the video shows, does not drone. Especially listen towards the end where the car is floored. It goes from being a complete beast under full throttle to so quiet at cruising you can hear only wind noise. Keep any eye out in the sponsor forums for an upcoming introductory sale on these!

Think the stock L99 center muffler creates some friction and restriction?
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleopatra View Post
That sound is close to what I'm looking for,however I would opt for more volume.A friend who has the same car has a borla exhaust sound had the extreme volume,but yet almost sounded trashy if that makes since . I ask what all he had done to it,but before he had time to tell me I made a comment about the trashy undertone I heard....I should have kept my mouth shut,because it made him mad,now I have no way of knowing....thanks for the recomendations. I will keep them in mind on my journey to HOT ROD my camaro out
The Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back is louder than anything Borla makes and about as loud as you are going to get without high flow cats or headers. It also has a much deeper tone. A while back we filmed two exhaust videos. The Borla ATAK (Borla's loudest cat back) went first and then the Retro Chambered. When we went to start filming the Retro Chambered the audio equipment had to be readjusted because the levels we used on the ATAK were too sensitive and the Retro Chambered was peaking out the equipment.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Somebody"ll sell you somethin'.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
If you want over the top loud, Follow these three easy steps.
1) Buy some SW Headers, any primary, I have 2"
2) Buy a Magnaflow competition 3" Exhaust
3) Install, and wake all the neighbors up.

Here's my setup (just idling because I was in the neighborhood)

It splits eardrums above 4k

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
cleopatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
If you want over the top loud, Follow these three easy steps.
1) Buy some SW Headers, any primary, I have 2"
2) Buy a Magnaflow competition 3" Exhaust
3) Install, and wake all the neighbors up.

Here's my setup (just idling because I was in the neighborhood)

It splits eardrums above 4k
. NOW where talking, I like the idle sound of that...thanks for sharring that.....would love to hear it reved up
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
I could probably get a video with revving tomorrow and post it up. People tell me that they think an older muscle car is about to come up, but it never is!

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #12
cleopatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
I could probably get a video with revving tomorrow and post it up. People tell me that they think an older muscle car is about to come up, but it never is!
I thought they had pretty much reinvented every muscle car.....but I realy don't care if u ask me ill take my camaro over ford or dodge any day,and I was a hard core mustang fan not anymore.....video is much appreciated......thanks