Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
Bola1103

Drives: 2001 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I would've been happy with the ZL1 if its competition didn't have 82 hp more than it, in addition to weighing less and demonstrating a marked difference in acceleration.

IMO the zl1 needs to get closer in the competition with the gt500.
it's not about acceleration now it's about going around curves now.that's what chevy says.I bet you would like it better if the Shelby had 580hp and the zl1 had 662.both cars are cool to me if I had the cash I would have both
Bola1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #16
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough View Post
I believe the Cadillac ATS is a front wheel drive platform. Hopefully the Camaro won't go there.
The Cadillac ATS is on the alpha platform which is GM's smallest rear wheel drive platform. I am pretty certain that it has already been stated that the gen 6 Camaro will be on this platform.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #17
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
I'ts has more go than I thought it would! Still breaking it in!(slipped to 5k rpm a couple times) I think another 100 plus hp would make it a thrill ride! What a fun car!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
I think it's pretty awesome. The ZL1 off the showroom is hard to beat overall.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04svtsnke View Post
I think the '14 will get a slight bump in power to 600. I also think with the next platform being a lot lighter than the current I don't believe gm will give it more power but a means to control it better. Realistically gm loses this round, not by a lot but enough to warrant victory to ford. I think the power at some point will stop rising and weight will become the deciding factor. I'd hate to see these cars having 7 and 800 hp but weigh in at 5k pounds. A 34-3500 lb 600 hp car would be magic.

Victory to Ford? Eery review I have read so far gives the nod to the ZL1.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bola1103 View Post
it's not about acceleration now it's about going around curves now.that's what chevy says.I bet you would like it better if the Shelby had 580hp and the zl1 had 662.both cars are cool to me if I had the cash I would have both
Its not all about handling either. This car should be competitive on all or most of the performance parameters with its direct competitor. Unfortunately, a significant parameter of performance happens to be acceleration.

Sure, I'd love it if the tables were switched around, but I know that ford wouldn't sit still with having less hp for long. I am having my doubts as to whether chevy will do anything to close the gap between the camaro and (oops almost said firebird lol) the gt500.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
04svtsnke

Drives: '04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Victory to Ford? Every review I have read so far gives the nod to the ZL1.
Hp wise. Im not going to debate suspension and track times with you. This thread seems to be mainly about wanting more hp for the zl1 to get it moving quicker and keep up with its rival. Suspension wise there no doubt the Magnetic ride suspension is easier to control around the track. Personally if I see you out on the street I'm not going to ask where the nearest track is so we can battle it out, I plan for you to see my taillights. That isn't For just the zl1 but any car worth wasting a little gas over.
04svtsnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
The alpha platform ATS-V is rumored to get a twin turbo V6. It has also been mentioned that the LSA would fit in there but GM thought that would cannibalize CTS-V sales. I don't see that being a problem for the ZL1. If the Camaro weighs in close to the ATS, we will be looking at a 3400-ish pound muscle car sporting (hopefully) over 580 hp. Now that is something to be excited about.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
04svtsnke

Quote:
Its not all about handling either. This car should be competitive on all or most of the performance parameters with its direct competitor. Unfortunately, a significant parameter of performance happens to be acceleration.

Sure, I'd love it if the tables were switched around, but I know that ford wouldn't sit still with having less hp for long. I am having my doubts as to whether chevy will do anything to close the gap between the camaro and (oops almost said firebird lol) the gt500.
I'll agree with you. As far as this platform goes I don't think Chevy will do anything to close the hp gap enough between the two cars to make straight line acceleration relevant enough to warrant another 180+ page zl1vsgt500 thread. Now as someone said, a 3400 lb 580 zl1 would be awesome. I'm anxious to see how both company's adapt their power trains to the new lighter platforms
Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
The ZL1 begs for a stage 2 upgrade. Moving the nearly 4,200 lb car from a standing start is a challenge. At speed with momentum it's quite a different story. The chasis and body with such a sound, almost magical MR suspension is so well equiped to handle much much more power. Taking it through it's paces it's almost surealistic. However, one can readily feel the need for additional power at certain points. The LSA is underpowered and is a fine candidate for a factory upgrade. Bring it on Chevy, one can of stage two whoopass please.

I loved the poll from last week. I'd change my input in that I'd love to do the install myself, however, if it came down to warranty, I can't argue. But I digress...

Like I've mentione before - chassis-wise - no complaints. Power-wise - if GM wants to be taken absolutely seriously: I believe ZL1 needs more power. If it got anoter 40-50 horsepower, I really don't think these comparisons would be as far as they are, in some aspects. In acceleration tests, I'm sure that power wouldn't put ZL1 past the 500, however, in track tests, it could be almost a blow-out (depending on the type of track). It would be nice to see GM bump power to at least LS9-levels, but I'm not sure that's reasonable to ask, though, I almost don't care what's reasonable. I think ZL1 needs that power to be taken as seriously as GM wants. The rest of the package is there - MORE POWER

FWIW - I don't own or have driven ZL1. I can read and comprehend comments and reviews, though

Quote:
I would've been happy with the ZL1 if its competition didn't have 82 hp more than it, in addition to weighing less and demonstrating a marked difference in acceleration.

IMO the zl1 needs to get closer in the competition with the gt500.
Yeah - I'm not sure GM saw that coming. I will absolutely give credit for the 500 putting the power down as well as it does. I don't think it does in all regimes, but it does make use of a lot of it at the strip, and I take my hat off for that

As a CAMARO-FANATIC - I don't want to eek by the competition. I want it to stomp it. Reality is not always what we want though

Quote:
I think the '14 will get a slight bump in power to 600. I also think with the next platform being a lot lighter than the current I don't believe gm will give it more power but a means to control it better. Realistically gm loses this round, not by a lot but enough to warrant victory to ford. I think the power at some point will stop rising and weight will become the deciding factor. I'd hate to see these cars having 7 and 800 hp but weigh in at 5k pounds. A 34-3500 lb 600 hp car would be magic.

You'll be surprised to read that I agree (mostly), but I do It was only because the 5th Gen was so massive that a 4100-pound ZL1 is making me excited, but you feel that weight. While I can appreciate anything and everything about the 5th Gen, weight was probably the biggest issue in the Community. I believe GM is addressing that in the next generation, and I think that's great. I'd rather have 500-horsepower in a 3200-pound car than 580 in a 3900-pound car. I think GM is moving CAMARO to a true Sportscar and think the 5th Gen represents that movement. I think ZL1 is as near as we have right now, but there are certainly some gains that can be made. I can't say I agree GM's lost (I think it's the opposite), but it's closer to a tie, in GM's mind, than they wanted.

Quote:
Hp wise. Im not going to debate suspension and track times with you. This thread seems to be mainly about wanting more hp for the zl1 to get it moving quicker and keep up with its rival. Suspension wise there no doubt the Magnetic ride suspension is easier to control around the track. Personally if I see you out on the street I'm not going to ask where the nearest track is so we can battle it out, I plan for you to see my taillights. That isn't For just the zl1 but any car worth wasting a little gas over.
I think this is the mindset of most people in these parts. Let's not take it past this, though, because wasting gas on the street is plain dangerous and stupid. I don't think anyone here can honestly say they haven't partaken in the past, but at least now we know that's about the most rediculous risk.

The only reason I don't bring up that street racing stories aren't allowed here, is because I definately think I see your point, and think, by-and-large, this is a point most car-guys/gals look at and appreciate, too. It's an important consideration, because there are certainly faster cars for the track, but we want a car to drive on the street. That car needs to be fun, which means, among many other things, must make us feel good, and there's about nothing that makes a car-guy/gal feel better than going fast and beating the other guy.

Let's, please, try to stay away from any street racing implications, though. Again - I think I see your point, but this is a serious subject

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^Right now my distant hope is for the 5th gen to be competitive (if not dominant.....domination is going to require a lot or a combo of more power and less weight). I would rather the 5th gen to go down fighting as opposed to conceding anything.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
04svtsnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

I loved the poll from last week. I'd change my input in that I'd love to do the install myself, however, if it came down to warranty, I can't argue. But I digress...

Like I've mentione before - chassis-wise - no complaints. Power-wise - if GM wants to be taken absolutely seriously: I believe ZL1 needs more power. If it got anoter 40-50 horsepower, I really don't think these comparisons would be as far as they are, in some aspects. In acceleration tests, I'm sure that power wouldn't put ZL1 past the 500, however, in track tests, it could be almost a blow-out (depending on the type of track). It would be nice to see GM bump power to at least LS9-levels, but I'm not sure that's reasonable to ask, though, I almost don't care what's reasonable. I think ZL1 needs that power to be taken as seriously as GM wants. The rest of the package is there - MORE POWER

FWIW - I don't own or have driven ZL1. I can read and comprehend comments and reviews, though

Yeah - I'm not sure GM saw that coming. I will absolutely give credit for the 500 putting the power down as well as it does. I don't think it does in all regimes, but it does make use of a lot of it at the strip, and I take my hat off for that

As a CAMARO-FANATIC - I don't want to eek by the competition. I want it to stomp it. Reality is not always what we want though

You'll be surprised to read that I agree (mostly), but I do It was only because the 5th Gen was so massive that a 4100-pound ZL1 is making me excited, but you feel that weight. While I can appreciate anything and everything about the 5th Gen, weight was probably the biggest issue in the Community. I believe GM is addressing that in the next generation, and I think that's great. I'd rather have 500-horsepower in a 3200-pound car than 580 in a 3900-pound car. I think GM is moving CAMARO to a true Sportscar and think the 5th Gen represents that movement. I think ZL1 is as near as we have right now, but there are certainly some gains that can be made. I can't say I agree GM's lost (I think it's the opposite), but it's closer to a tie, in GM's mind, than they wanted.

I think this is the mindset of most people in these parts. Let's not take it past this, though, because wasting gas on the street is plain dangerous and stupid. I don't think anyone here can honestly say they haven't partaken in the past, but at least now we know that's about the most rediculous risk.

The only reason I don't bring up that street racing stories aren't allowed here, is because I definately think I see your point, and think, by-and-large, this is a point most car-guys/gals look at and appreciate, too. It's an important consideration, because there are certainly faster cars for the track, but we want a car to drive on the street. That car needs to be fun, which means, among many other things, must make us feel good, and there's about nothing that makes a car-guy/gal feel better than going fast and beating the other guy.

Let's, please, try to stay away from any street racing implications, though. Again - I think I see your point, but this is a serious subject
I totally understand what you're saying and I'll keep the obvious details to myself, although we both know its prevelant in the muscle car wars we are having right now. with that being said, both cars do what theyre meant to do really well. I'm surprised theyre compared about as much as they are when both seem to tie. one is good at one thign while the other is better at the other. It can be manipulated by many but this is fact. A lighter platform will only make things funner and maybe a bit more challenging althoguh gm has done a great job making the zl1 near idiot-proof on the roadcourse. I know we will have to agree to disagree as far as who actually won this round as far as the pony wars go and thats what its going to be. you have by far have been the best to debate againdt as far as these cars go. I look forward to having more once the new, lighter platforms come out
Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
I totally understand what you're saying and I'll keep the obvious details to myself, although we both know its prevelant in the muscle car wars we are having right now. with that being said, both cars do what theyre meant to do really well. I'm surprised theyre compared about as much as they are when both seem to tie. one is good at one thign while the other is better at the other. It can be manipulated by many but this is fact. A lighter platform will only make things funner and maybe a bit more challenging althoguh gm has done a great job making the zl1 near idiot-proof on the roadcourse. I know we will have to agree to disagree as far as who actually won this round as far as the pony wars go and thats what its going to be. you have by far have been the best to debate againdt as far as these cars go. I look forward to having more once the new, lighter platforms come out
I think this is easily the Post of the Day because I completely agree and it sums up a lot of excellent points. These cars are catored to two different types I think - strip-guys and track-guys; I am not counting the troops from both camps because I'm not more interested in getting a '500 as much as you are ZL1 - and I think that's fine. You are totally right about trying to make justifications - I can't lie I'm a strip-guy but am starting to appreciate more aspects of driving. I think it's fair to say the '500 is based around the strip, but I also think it's wise for Ford to offer customers options to go to the track, and be pretty dang effective at using that power to turn. I really don't think you can reasonably make a car do both and remain dominate in both. I think it's nice that the '500 buyer can get almost exactly what he/she wants without having to spend much on what they don't. I guess I can't agree on being a good debater, but I appreciate your comments I DO look forward to the next battles, though. It will be very interesting to see what Ford does and the technology they'll bring.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #28
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I hope they concentrate on the interior, some better seats and redo to make it look more like the Supercar it is. I think Carbon Fibre ground effects would look nice on certain colors maybe all. Then drop a little weight, change the pulley belt and a tune and you have maybe a 650HP MONSTER!!!!!
this has been my biggest complaint with the car. The engine is superior to many foreign competitors (i.e. BMW, Audi, etc.) but the interior is lacking (as most American performance cars are like the Corvette)...hopefully GM steps up the new C7 corvette interior and the 6th gen Camaro. But I think a CF ground effects kit like the ZR1 would be soooo SWEET on the ZL1! Maybe aftermarket will come up with something soon because I would definitely buy one
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote