Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #29
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
The clutch feel in the V6 is much softer than in the SS. Stock for stock, I'll bet the SS clutch is stiffer than that in an '86 Iroc. You've got a centerforce clutch in that thing, so I don't know how stiff or soft they are in relation to stock. Point is, the stiff clutch comes in the V8 model, always has

I test drove an ss right before i bought the v6. same feel and actually i drove the v6 better (less jerking) than the v8 because i was getting used to the feel. As far as being stiffer than my iroc, i dont think so. Someone has never driven a z-bar car

1986 Camaro IROC-Z - 305 TPI, cammed, GMMG exhaust, t56 6Spd swap, custom headlights with halos
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #30
az2ss
HMFIC

Drives: 2016 1SS
1. wish it came with a locking fuel door
2. wish the little openings between the seats and the center console werent there. my cell phone always likes to drop down there and the only way to get it out is grab underneath the seat from the front
az2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #31
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
I have a tint strip that is two inches below legal. Works great. Sunglasses too. The only time I used my visors is to hold my sunshade against the windshield while the car is sitting at work, lol.
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #32
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
sorry - monitoring posts and don't have time to go into this - but I've explained the sunvisors at least a dozen times on this site - do a search ....

Short version: They cost much more than the corporate lighted sunvisor -and they are they way they are due to a 5-star crash rating. Putting the corporate sunvisor in the Camaro and having it extended can cause harm to both passenger and driver in a severe crash..........thus the reason.

Something to think about: The Camaro team drives Camaros every day. If something 'appears' to be foolish, know that we're driving the cars as well - and there's usually a good reason for why something is the way it is.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #33
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
sorry - monitoring posts and don't have time to go into this - but I've explained the sunvisors at least a dozen times on this site - do a search ....

Short version: They cost much more than the corporate lighted sunvisor -and they are they way they are due to a 5-star crash rating. Putting the corporate sunvisor in the Camaro and having it extended can cause harm to both passenger and driver in a severe crash..........thus the reason.

Something to think about: The Camaro team drives Camaros every day. If something 'appears' to be foolish, know that we're driving the cars as well - and there's usually a good reason for why something is the way it is.

NONSENSE! Just because the Camaro Team drives Camaros every day doesn't mean they are doing so safely. Any crash, corporate sunvisor or not, can cause harm to passenger and driver. I'd rather be in a wreck and receive a severe concussion or broken ribs while operating a vehicle with an effective sunvisor than get broadsided (which could easily be fatal) because I missed a red light due to momentary blindness, the result of driving in the direction of the sun with an ineffective sunvisor. Why even have sunvisors if they don't work properely?

Look at it from a probabilistic and legal point of view. Which automobile is more likely to be involved in an accident under adverse conditions due, say, driving in the direction of the sun. One with a visor that is effective at blocking the sun or one that is not? Just look at train crossing accidents (which happen every year) due to the low angle of the sun and drivers not being able to see effectively. This example fittingly serves as a model for driving conditions with an ineffective sunvisor. And as the number of accidents increase, the risk of serious injury and/or death increases proportionately. The bottom line is this: Do you want one accident with injuries while driving with an effective sunvisor or 10 accidents while using an ineffective sunvisor? I know what I want.

Finally, the number of repeated and well documented complaints in this forum about the problems with the existing sunvisors, and your knowledge of these complaints, will place GM in a perilous position come litigation. It's only a manner of when. My recommendation is to go back to the drawing board and design a fix.
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #34
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #35
Iroc-z86

Drives: 86' Iroc-z 14' Camaro SS 98' Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
couldnt agree more... I hardly use the sunvisors (mainly because they are so tight im afraid they are going to break)

1986 Camaro IROC-Z - 305 TPI, cammed, GMMG exhaust, t56 6Spd swap, custom headlights with halos
Iroc-z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #36
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Good lord give it a rest.

Please, PLEASE show me the perfect car.... Go ahead... I'll wait.

No? oh ok cool, good effort.

If you want to sit and rant about every single minor detail that isn't absolutely flawless on this car - do us a favor and trade the car in and be on your way.

It amazes me how many things people can find to complain about sometimes. Congratulations, Captain Hindsight. You are smarter than all of us.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #37
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
I read through this a few hours ago but held off on commenting until I could verify this myself. I just looked through my windshield and put the visor down...I could not see the tail lights of the Honda Pilot in front of me. Furthermore I have the seat as low as it will go (my 2SS has adjustable seats, including height...I'm assuming the other models have this with the possible exeption of the LS). If I raise the seat I can get another few inches higher and almost totally block everything but a couple of inches over the end of the hood, so I don't see what the problem is. Perhaps I am taller than those complaining about the visors but I don't consider myself that tall (6'0" and shrinking by the day). If the sun is low enough on the horizon then NO visor is going to be large enough to be effective, short of blocking your entire view.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Only thing that irritates me is the gas tank on the passenger side. Can't tell you how many times I've pulled up to the pump on the drivers side & wonder why people are staring at me.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #39
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN3WMN View Post
Only thing that irritates me is the gas tank on the passenger side. Can't tell you how many times I've pulled up to the pump on the drivers side & wonder why people are staring at me.
I bet you also have never opened your camaro door and hit one of those safety post at the gas station because the gas tank is on the other side, and these big heavy doors open pretty wide.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #40
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I bet you also have never opened your camaro door and hit one of those safety post at the gas station because the gas tank is on the other side, and these big heavy doors open pretty wide.
Haha can't say that I have.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #41
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
The rake of the windshield is pretty low... thus the references to gun- port windows. It therefore take very little vertical hanging material (your sun visor) to obscure a significant percentage of the field of view. In my seated position, the visor obscures more than 50% of my windshield field of view... sufficient for me, as covering up much more than that would be... a safety hazard!

If these visors were mounted on a Silverado, a VW Bus, or a Kenworth, they would only obscure a tiny percentage of the field of view, and would then be "a joke." In the Camaro, they seem perfectly sufficient to me.

Plus, I'll bet that if they were any bigger, folks would complain about how ungainly and giant they are, how difficult they are to lower and raise, how they block too much vision... and, I'll bet they'd buy aftermarket "sport" edition sun visors, that were tinier... and boast about that on their lists of mods!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #42
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I wish...................I wish..................................I wish..............................
That morons would spend more time researching, test driving and actually look at the f***ing car they are buying before they buy it! That would eliminate 99% of the bitching that goes on here.
Have a Coke and a smile and STFU!
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote