Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #29
KARBON

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
Been racing and building cars since the mid seventy's. This article is DEAD ON !! This whole 3000 mile thing is to get you in to the shop to sell you some more service items. In the end it is your money and your investment. Do what you feel comfortable with. Unless you are racing your car or running it hard every time you drive it, 3000 mile oil changes are a waste of money !!
*RPM TH400 with Brake
*Precision 3600 Converter
*850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
KARBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #30
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARBON View Post
Been racing and building cars since the mid seventy's. This article is DEAD ON !! This whole 3000 mile thing is to get you in to the shop to sell you some more service items. In the end it is your money and your investment. Do what you feel comfortable with. Unless you are racing your car or running it hard every time you drive it, 3000 mile oil changes are a waste of money !!

Gotta love the Stealerships that put the sticker in the window for premature "mileage" scheduled oil changes because the customer doesn't know how to RTFM and tell the stealership to pack sand.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Wxplain to us how you know your oil is dirty? Sight, smell or feel have absolutely no validity on the condition of the oil. Oil analysis is the only way to know the condition of your oil. At 3000 miles you have hardly even touched your oils capabilites.

Here's some hard cold facts in black and white.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=analysis
+1
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Wxplain to us how you know your oil is dirty? Sight, smell or feel have absolutely no validity on the condition of the oil. Oil analysis is the only way to know the condition of your oil. At 3000 miles you have hardly even touched your oils capabilites.

Here's some hard cold facts in black and white.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=analysis
I will rescind what I said slightly but not totally since you have the V6. In your case every 3000 is still premature, but not a a total waste.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
My first change was at 500 miles, second was 2000, third was 4000, fourth was 6000. I have 7700 on my car now and its 1 1/2 years old. I always did it to keep clean oil in it and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. After reading the article and facts I guess I have been doing nothing but pissing money away. Thanks for pointing it out and I will surely change my habits.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
With an LLT, DO NOT follow the DIC!

Here is my statndard post to V6 (LLT engines) oil posts when asked about the DIC or questions about oil changes:

Newer 2011 and those that had the ECM flashed the OLM is now pretty much mileage based and will zero out at right around 5K, regardless of the driving condition. My guess is they did this because of the LLT engine/timing chain issues and people letting the OLM zero out.

Also I've yet to have to top it off at any time, although at 4K miles I've lost about a 1/4 a quart, well within my expectation given how I drive.

As with all V6's (espicially the LLT), I suggest the following:
1- Check your oil frequently; I do mine at every fill up
2- IGNORE the OLM
3- Oil changes:
Conventional <= 3K
Synthetic (Preferred) <= 5K. I use Mobil 1 and change at 4K

These little steps can help save your V6 from the dreaded timing chain/oil loss issues

Last edited by nyrfan; 09-19-2012 at 09:56 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #35
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
With an LLT, DO NOT follow the DIC!

Here is my statndard post to V6 (LLT engines) oil posts when asked about the DIC or questions about oil changes:

Newer 2011 and those that had the ECM flashed the OLM is now pretty much mileage based and will zero out at right around 5K, regardless of the driving condition. My guess is they did this because of the LLT engine/timing chain issues and people letting the OLM zero out.

Also I've yet to have to top it off at any time, although at 4K miles I've lost about a 1/4 a quart, well within my expectation given how I drive.

As with all V6's (espicially the LLT), I suggest the following:
1- Check your oil frequently; I do mine at every fill up
2- IGNORE the OLM
3- Oil changes:
Conventional <= 3K
Synthetic (Preferred) <= 5K. I use Mobil 1 and change at 4K

These little steps can help save your V6 from the dreaded timing chain/oil loss issues

I've had the timing chain issue (replaced them at 34k'ish). I change my oil with mobile 1 every 5k. I did buy the car used (21k miles), so I don't know what they did prior.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #36
WarWolfX0

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Manual
I got my Camaro used ( only 3000 miles) and it was still under warranty. Ii was able to get free oil changes for 3 year with the car. The first time i ran the the oil to about 7000 miles, that was about 15% left on the computer. the 2 time i changed it at 3000 then again at 4000 now 1 month ago i tried to change my oil at 4000 mile and they would not cover it. they said that the computer need to have less then 15% to get my oil changes. I think the oil marker is set at 7000 miles because that is around how many miles i had when it was at 15% (give or take a few hundred miles). Keep in mind that sticker still says 3000 miles when i left the dealership. So if the consumer has to buy the oil then it is 3000 mile if the dealer has to buy the oil it is around 7000 miles (15% on the computer) BTW I also have a gold plug and a filter mag.
WarWolfX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #37
1sweet11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro
I conduct three extensive tests.

First is the eye test..............If it's black, it's whack. Time to go...

Second is the smell test.......If it reeks, it must be weak! See ya....

Third is taste test..............If it's tastes crappy, I'm not happy. Bu bye...

Better safe than sorry.....Feel free to try these out. Time to go jackalope hunting.

1sweet11SS is offline   Reply With Quote