Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #43
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
People that get ZL1's must be "compensating for other areas where they lack".

How dare they say ZL1' s are REAL Camaros and our SS's aren't.

More maintenance costs, more things can go wrong with a ZL1.

Who needs that much power?

All of this this ring a bell to some people?

OP, get what you want and what you like and enjoy.
lol...I say the same thing about SS's to V6's. >_>
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #44
big papa

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlack View Post
People that get ZL1's must be "compensating for other areas where they lack".

Who needs that much power?

19 GMC CC 4x4
2019 Harley RGS
big papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #45
casvg5
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS
Save yourself 10K and buy an SS and throw money in the motor until you spank the pants off a ZL-1, like me!
casvg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
SSBlack
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS JFB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
lol...I say the same thing about SS's to V6's. >_>
That was obviously sarcasm on my part.....
SSBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #47
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by casvg5 View Post
Save yourself 10K and buy an SS and throw money in the motor until you spank the pants off a ZL-1, like me!
Along with throwing away your warranty and still not have the ride and control of a ZL1.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #48
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
ZL1?

I'm sorry but not for the $60k+ they want for them.

I'd go used C6 Z06, '08+ GT500, used '04+ Porsche 911, used '04+ Viper, used C5 Z06, '12 or '13 BOSS Mustang...and those are just starters. All far better cars, all far less money.

Unless you are a die-HARD Camaro fan, the ZL1 is simply WAY overpriced. As many have said before, you can build a much faster SS for much less. Yeah, the ZL1 comes with a warranty. As a dealer employee though, I'd like to see a dealership stand behind it...countless claims are going to be denied on a car like that because of "abuse", whether true or not, and that's the nature of factory performance cars. Not to mention, how many people do you think are going to buy a ZL1 and leave it stock? Next to none.

I would go SS if it were me and save $20k+. Unless you drive road courses professionally. Then maybe the suspension upgrades would be worth it. But I've said since the ZL1 came out that the blower on that thing must be made of solid freaking gold because there's simply nowhere near $60k in that car, no matter what the fanboys will say to the contrary.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #49
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post
ZL1?

I'm sorry but not for the $60k+ they want for them.

I'd go used C6 Z06, '08+ GT500, used '04+ Porsche 911, used '04+ Viper, used C5 Z06, '12 or '13 BOSS Mustang...and those are just starters. All far better cars, all far less money.

Unless you are a die-HARD Camaro fan, the ZL1 is simply WAY overpriced. As many have said before, you can build a much faster SS for much less. Yeah, the ZL1 comes with a warranty. As a dealer employee though, I'd like to see a dealership stand behind it...countless claims are going to be denied on a car like that because of "abuse", whether true or not, and that's the nature of factory performance cars. Not to mention, how many people do you think are going to buy a ZL1 and leave it stock? Next to none.

I would go SS if it were me and save $20k+. Unless you drive road courses professionally. Then maybe the suspension upgrades would be worth it. But I've said since the ZL1 came out that the blower on that thing must be made of solid freaking gold because there's simply nowhere near $60k in that car, no matter what the fanboys will say to the contrary.
Sorry dude, but you are apparently clueless when it comes to the ZL1 ... There is a lot more to it than just a blower.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #50
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Sorry dude, but you are apparently clueless when it comes to the ZL1 ... There is a lot more to it than just a blower.

Someone needs their sarcasm meter adjusted and not to take things literally.

Yeah, I know all the tweaks to the ZL1...so your assumption that I am "clueless" shows the reverse is true. It doesn't change the fact that, as I said before, there simply isn't $60k worth of value in that car. Period. It's a novelty car, which there is nothing wrong with at all, but the price is absolutely stupid. That's not to say the people that buy them are, but I'm simply saying that, in my personal opinion, if the car could handle like a ZR1 Corvette and had 1000 HP bone freaking stock, it wouldn't be worth $60k to drive a damn Camaro. It just isn't.

For that kind of money, you can have a thoroughbred performance machine...no, the ZL1 IMO does not qualify as that...it qualifies as what would be a nice top-end model, if it wasn't so inflated in price...making it no different, to me, than the top-end SRT Challenger models and their price inflation. Yes, there's a big difference between an SRT Challenger and a ZL1. I'm simply saying that, in my opinion (you have to say this on this forum...otherwise the damn fanboys will go BALLISTIC), the price is just as ridiculous on either one.

$60k can net you a much better car than a brand new ZL1. That said, it's all in what you want. If you want the ZL1, good for you. But there are many people out there who see spending that kind of coin on a Camaro as sheer lunacy...and I fall into that crowd.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #51
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowSStopper View Post

Someone needs their sarcasm meter adjusted and not to take things literally.

Yeah, I know all the tweaks to the ZL1...so your assumption that I am "clueless" shows the reverse is true. It doesn't change the fact that, as I said before, there simply isn't $60k worth of value in that car. Period. It's a novelty car, which there is nothing wrong with at all, but the price is absolutely stupid. That's not to say the people that buy them are, but I'm simply saying that, in my personal opinion, if the car could handle like a ZR1 Corvette and had 1000 HP bone freaking stock, it wouldn't be worth $60k to drive a damn Camaro. It just isn't.

For that kind of money, you can have a thoroughbred performance machine...no, the ZL1 IMO does not qualify as that...it qualifies as what would be a nice top-end model, if it wasn't so inflated in price...making it no different, to me, than the top-end SRT Challenger models and their price inflation. Yes, there's a big difference between an SRT Challenger and a ZL1. I'm simply saying that, in my opinion (you have to say this on this forum...otherwise the damn fanboys will go BALLISTIC), the price is just as ridiculous on either one.

$60k can net you a much better car than a brand new ZL1. That said, it's all in what you want. If you want the ZL1, good for you. But there are many people out there who see spending that kind of coin on a Camaro as sheer lunacy...and I fall into that crowd.

Without spending time behind the wheel, your opinions are nothing more than pure speculation on your part. Comparing apples to apples, I really can't think of another new car that will give the same ride, handling, and performance off the floor that the ZL1 brings for $60K ...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
It's a respectable debate. The ZL1 is indeed quite pricey (like an SRT-8 and GT500). I think the 2SS breaching/nearing 40K is already 5K alot but the near 20K price tag increase to jump inside a ZL1 is arguably just too much, even for peeps who can easily afford them. Have to draw the line somewhere, but then again many new car manufacturers nowadays have pumped their MSRPs more than expected. Alot of these new high-performance cars are overpriced at least 10% more than their true value... my 2 cents.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #53
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

Without spending time behind the wheel, your opinions are nothing more than pure speculation on your part. Comparing apples to apples, I really can't think of another new car that will give the same ride, handling, and performance off the floor that the ZL1 brings for $60K ...
Can you maybe point to where I said I had never driven a ZL1?

Any questions?

Side Note: My pre-Camaro car, an '03 Cobra, cost me $23k used with 40k miles on it. Less than $10k later, it was breaking 9's at the track on drag radials. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #54
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
It's a respectable debate. The ZL1 is indeed quite pricey (like an SRT-8 and GT500). I think the 2SS breaching/nearing 40K is already 5K alot but the near 20K price tag increase to jump inside a ZL1 is arguably just too much, even for peeps who can easily afford them. Have to draw the line somewhere, but then again many new car manufacturers nowadays have pumped their MSRPs more than expected. Alot of these new high-performance cars are overpriced at least 10% more than their true value... my 2 cents.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #55
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Magnetic Ride and Dual Mode Exhaust from the $120,000 Corvette ZR1. 580 supercharged horsepower via the LSA. Look at almost all other cars in the upper echelon, they are way more $$$ and have substantially LESS horsepower. A lot of money @ $60k? Yes; however, that is the world we live in (inflation). It would be nice to walk into dealer and pay under $4,000 for a brand new, loaded to the hilt Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, GTO, Superbird, Corvette, Cuda, Challenger, etc., etc.. It is not 1969 anymore. $60k is a value when you compare the ZL1 head to head with similar vehicles. One thing I can say, I thought my SS was pretty nasty; however, when I rode in my Dad's ZL1...it was a whole different experience. My head was pasted in the headrest and the thing handled like it was on rails!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #56
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Magnetic Ride and Dual Mode Exhaust from the $120,000 Corvette ZR1. 580 supercharged horsepower via the LSA. Look at almost all other cars in the upper echelon, they are way more $$$ and have substantially LESS horsepower. A lot of money @ $60k? Yes; however, that is the world we live in (inflation). It would be nice to walk into dealer and pay under $4,000 for a brand new, loaded to the hilt Camaro, Mustang, Chevelle, GTO, Superbird, Corvette, Cuda, Challenger, etc., etc.. It is not 1969 anymore. $60k is a value when you compare the ZL1 head to head with similar vehicles. One thing I can say, I thought my SS was pretty nasty; however, when I rode in my Dad's ZL1...it was a whole different experience. My head was pasted in the headrest and the thing handled like it was on rails!
Meh... of course if you compare it to other 'highline' marques. With different perspectives, the ZL1 is a good bang for the buck. BUT it would be a great value if say for example a ZL1 can be had for 50k tops otd especially pretty much loaded. 60k IMHO is overpriced for a Chevy. Just like 65k is overpriced for a Ford, or 55k is overpriced for a Dodge. And just like 90+k is overpriced for a base new 911... damn.

I really like the ZL1 but in my case I'd have to give up both SS and the Boss to step into one... can't say I didn't have thoughts about it...
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote