Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #29
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
A racing guy told me if I put in a throttle body spacer and a larger throttle body that I would get a 30HP easy. He said you need to put the spacer in with the new throttle body.
Russ
I'm certainly no expert but it's my understanding that TB spacers have been pretty well debunked as providing much of any benefit.
Traded-in car: K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
1cdub

Drives: rzr
Has anybody had Peak Speed do any intake work?.. here is a pic off their website...

http://www.peakspeedshop.com/attachm...cal_Ported.jpg

They appear to take the porting much further than others I've seen.
1cdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
G8-4-Speed

Drives: 2009 Pontian G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cdub View Post
Has anybody had Peak Speed do any intake work?.. here is a pic off their website...

http://www.peakspeedshop.com/attachm...cal_Ported.jpg

They appear to take the porting much further than others I've seen.
Doesn't matter how far they port, porting doesn't change the restriction. It will still flow the same as a stock manifold. The only thing you can do is increase the cross section size of the port which hurts more than helps.
G8-4-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
No I am not kidding, that is exactly what he told me. He claims he rebuilds racing engines but I don't know for sure what he does. He said it's a little known fact.

Russ
On racing engines w/single plane intakes a spacer with antireversion rings machined in will help in the upper RPM bands, but to date have not seen a single LS based engine benefit and I build this all the time. We are testing the Vram one coming up and our ported stock LS3 intake. Have always shown good gains in the past tests through the years but since we have the new eddy current loaded dyno installed were doing testing again on several products and will post the results.

Lots of good, and some not so good info in this thread so it can be confusing but I have to agree, I see most that port the OEM intake end up with no gains or go backwards if hogging them out and not just working the areas where results are to be had.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
On racing engines w/single plane intakes a spacer with antireversion rings machined in will help in the upper RPM bands, but to date have not seen a single LS based engine benefit and I build this all the time. We are testing the Vram one coming up and our ported stock LS3 intake. Have always shown good gains in the past tests through the years but since we have the new eddy current loaded dyno installed were doing testing again on several products and will post the results.

Lots of good, and some not so good info in this thread so it can be confusing but I have to agree, I see most that port the OEM intake end up with no gains or go backwards if hogging them out and not just working the areas where results are to be had.

When, when, when ??? Ha-ha. I want to order one of the VMAX ported intakes (possibly painted white as well), but I need to make sure it's worth my while. I'll either wait until I see the results, or I'll throw it on the car and dyno it, and literally send it right back to you if you'd like just so we know how the car responds with the ported intake, or I'll pay for the intake if it tests out alright.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8-4-Speed View Post
If you have the blade then you can use the Proform 4" MAF tube but the Airflow tables have to be re-mapped for it to run. There is no way you will pick up anywhere close to 15 hp not to mention 40 hp. The only way to pick up that kind of power is with a Maggie application where the supercharger pulls thru the MAF and TB. In this case you can pick up 1+ psi of boost which would be closer to 25-30HP in a perfect world.

The only way to see a 15whp difference N/A is if the AFR has a big swing between the two dyno pulls. Even that is a stretch, but whatever gets the cash out of your pockets...If you pick up .15 and 1.5 mph at the track, let me know. If I could get all the HP from all the "claimed" gains out there, I could run 11.80-11.50's with bolt-ons.
What advantage would buying a 4in maf have over increasing the diameter of the OEM tube and recal the blade? You'll have to change the intake tube either way and both have to be retuned.

Several CAI intakes for the Camaro have been shown by most everyone to produce HP increases in that range. Proven on the dyno and at the track. They were also on the stock tune and AFR's were right where they were suppose to be. Once you tune it, 20+whp increase is easily attainable. Increasing the size of the straw that feeds the engine gains even more. I'm not saying they are the end all be all, and also doubt most of the manufacturer claims, but there are proven gains to be had.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #35
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
Quote:

When is this test on Birm's car happening?
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Next week! Stay tuned.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #37
TCAT

Quote:
Next week! Stay tuned.

Thankfully. I really need a tune, so I've been waiting to buy the intake before the tune.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #38
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
When, when, when ??? Ha-ha. I want to order one of the VMAX ported intakes (possibly painted white as well), but I need to make sure it's worth my while. I'll either wait until I see the results, or I'll throw it on the car and dyno it, and literally send it right back to you if you'd like just so we know how the car responds with the ported intake, or I'll pay for the intake if it tests out alright.
Buy it from us and if it doesn't show a positive gain, I'll refund ya 100%.

How's that for confidence in what the Rx CNC TBs will do for a customer?

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #39
TCAT

I like the way that sounds Ivan . Damn, your awesome, lol. Just to clarify, your offer refers to the ported intake (because I already have the throttle body), correct?

I'm curious how much of a gain I'd expect on my car, as the gain would really determine is worth the price of the ported job on the intake. The throttle body was worth it just for the throttle response, but the intake makes me wonder from a power standpoint . I may be giving you a call or PM next month to order one, as $600+ right now is not a good idea after paying tickets, and having birthdays coming up.

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #40
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
I saw this post by Tony Mamo and I am not sure how it applies to the LS3/L99 throttle bodies but here goes. It is somewhat in line of some 8hp results I have seen posted. Here is the post.

"I have been porting alot or TB's for the 2009+ CTSV, and Escalade/truck crowd as well (same unit).....these things are horrible out of the box and a properly ported TB just transforms the drivability of car a huge amount and it adds about 10 RWHP or so....has to be the best bang for the buck on the planet"
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote