Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Question Automotive designs and features that make NO sense at all

I never noticed this til the other day (must been blind) that the full size GM crossover SUVs which are NOT truck based at all, have 6 lug wheels, why in gods name would a car based SUV have 6 lug wheels? I remembered the last of the GM minivans before they were retired (the ones with the more horizontal looking noses) had em too. any others you can think of, post em, I am curious .
Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Cup holders right behind the shifter on a manual trans car.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
I never noticed this til the other day (must been blind) that the full size GM crossover SUVs which are NOT truck based at all, have 6 lug wheels, why in gods name would a car based SUV have 6 lug wheels? I remembered the last of the GM minivans before they were retired (the ones with the more horizontal looking noses) had em too. any others you can think of, post em, I am curious .
I think the reason for six lug wheels has to do with the EPA and how vehicles are classified when calculating their mpg for CAFE.
Crossovers are designated as "trucks" and get away with lower mpg's without having to pay the gas guzzler tax.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The one thing that I've never understood is why the clock/radio display is almost always mounted in the dash such that when you are holding the wheel properly, you can't read it because your wrist is in the way. Put it higher, or put it lower. Just don't put it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McFly View Post
Probably because they've got a GVWR of about 6500 lbs and a GCWR of nearly 10,000 lbs. For comparison, the Colorado & Canyon (also with 6 lug wheels) max out at 5300 and a little over 10,000.

But while on the subject of 6 lug wheels, I am curious as to why the SRT Viper has 6 lug wheels. Just noticed that the other day when reading a review of it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
They are uni-body but it is not "car based". They are on dedicated SUV chassis. DGthe3 and upflying pretty well nailed it. It is all about size and towing.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I know, right? I haven't even slept for about two weeks... been laying in bed, awake all night, wondering why-- why?--- WHY, OH, WHY?!?!?----- do they use 1-1/8" clips on some of the door trim, when it is so blatantly obvious that a 15/16" clip should be there instead? I think that it may be part of a dark conspiracy within the ranks of deep- cover GM operatives to disguise the need for a truer classification of door trim fastener construction. I've got to look into this a little further, do some more investigation, but this is dangerous work... if they catch on to the fact that somebody is suspicious of their actions, they might "make me disappear."

(Will report back later, under a different name... must cover my tracks, burn THIS screen- name... just too dangerous...)
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I know, right? I haven't even slept for about two weeks... been laying in bed, awake all night, wondering why-- why?--- WHY, OH, WHY?!?!?----- do they use 1-1/8" clips on some of the door trim, when it is so blatantly obvious that a 15/16" clip should be there instead? I think that it may be part of a dark conspiracy within the ranks of deep- cover GM operatives to disguise the need for a truer classification of door trim fastener construction. I've got to look into this a little further, do some more investigation, but this is dangerous work... if they catch on to the fact that somebody is suspicious of their actions, they might "make me disappear."

(Will report back later, under a different name... must cover my tracks, burn THIS screen- name... just too dangerous...)

Did someone wake and bake?

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
cupholders are always iffy.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But while on the subject of 6 lug wheels, I am curious as to why the SRT Viper has 6 lug wheels. Just noticed that the other day when reading a review of it.
1st gen CTSV too
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
The one thing that I've never understood is why the clock/radio display is almost always mounted in the dash such that when you are holding the wheel properly, you can't read it because your wrist is in the way. Put it higher, or put it lower. Just don't put it there.
Well, if they moved the clock up or down, that still wouldn't help all people. Most, if not all steering wheels move up and down to where your wrist will get into the way.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
When the Viper originally came out they actually used a handful of truck parts, being that back then Dodge didn't have a much of a performance division, in order to get a strong enough hub they went to the trucks. Why they are still 6 lug, I couldn't say.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I believe that their are 4 things that classify a "truck" and to qualify I think you have to have 3 of them. 4WD, 3rd row seats, ground clearance of a certain height and flat load floor...................something like that.

Also 6 lugs are probably on the largest SUVs, i.e. GM's Lambdas (Traverse, Acadia and Enclave). These are large vehicles by any standard and with the max GVW likely require 6 lugs to manage the weight and towing.