Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
dkbmx993

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 6spdmanual
black stripe care?

getting stripes replaced on the hood and trunk after dealer burnt tthem with buffer. what is the best way to care for the new ones. I usually just wash the car with soap and water then hit with spray wax and micro fiber cloth. will that be ok on the stripes?

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
dkbmx993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I use car wash and turtle wax ice. Just make sure you don't use any waxes with carnuaba in it. Clear stuff is safest. 3 years and mine look just as great as when I picked the car up.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i had this problem when i took mine to a buffer who never worked on a new camaro...i used Adams VRT on the stripes habitually (every wash) for about 2 months to bring the orignal luster back to the stripes...i think im still taking white out of the edges lol

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I will say that if I get a newer Camaro, or found myself replacing the stripes- I would 100% have them painted on next time around. Washing, and especially waxing would be SO much easier.
For now, I second the Adams VRT. I don't have the time to do it every wash, but fortunately it lasts pretty long. I wax about quarterly, and in doing so I use painter's blue masking tape to mask off the stripes so I wax right up to the edge. And then mask the opposite direction so I can VRT the stripes to the edge. For the thinner pinstripes I apply the VRT with a Q-Tip and a steady hand.
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

id do the painted too...but ive already gotten a few blemishes that hit the stripes and did not effect the paint...if they hit the painted stripes it would just make my heart sink!

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
ckcamaro
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: Malibu.camaro/
stripes

i,ve found out armourall wipes work great!!!!!
ckcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroRS View Post
id do the painted too...but ive already gotten a few blemishes that hit the stripes and did not effect the paint...if they hit the painted stripes it would just make my heart sink!
How high up the hood are we talking?

I have VentureShield and I actually didn't want it to go over the vinyl in case either ever had to be removed. So the installer cut the Venture around the stripes. So the front 6-9 inches of my stripes are exposed where they would be protected if they were painted, so idk
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

one about 2 inches up...one about 3

Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
smokeylt

Drives: 2012 camaro SS 45th Aniversary Edit
Question 45th Anniversary stripes

Does anyone know if the Turtle Wax Ice Premium is Ok to use on 45th Anniversary stripes? Says it has Polymer blend and carnauba wax. Any help would be appreciate.
smokeylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I believe the 45th stripes are a combo of Red and Cyber Gray so you should be ok as far as the stripe but anything with Carnauba in it will have the potential to leave white residue along the edge of them so I'd avoid it myself.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
Danb79

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS with IO interior
the guys at paul masse say not to wax the stripes it can cause them to crack. i asked about spray wax they said that is fine! i have the hocky stripes and solid hood and trunk stripe so they are like a matte finish.
Danb79 is offline   Reply With Quote