Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
JBA Headers

I'm planning on buying MRT axle back v2 exhaust and I also wanted to get the JBA shorty headers but everywhere I look it says it's only for 2010-2011 Camaros. So my question is, will they fit my 2012? And if not, what comparable headers would fit?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm still new and learning lol
b1gr3dmachin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
There are no headers for the 2012 LFX. None. The engine has built in headers/manifold into the engine. Look at yours, theres just one hole on each side. But the upside is that its like headers, one of the reasons the 2012 Camaro makes more power than the 2011. And one less thing to have to buy. Best bets for bolt on power are exhaust, (axle back or complete), CAI and ported throttle body. Use search most of us here have posted and/or bought all of them.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
axle back exhausts add absolutely no power...zero, zilch, nada. They are only good for sound/tone. The CAI and throttle body will increase power along with a proper tune.

Whether the manifolds being built into the engine are better is a matter of opinion. A primary reason why the LFX (2012+) makes more power is because it's a differently designed motor.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
Alright thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. So axle backs add 0 power? Is that why cat backs are more expensive? I'm gonna have to look into the throttle body
b1gr3dmachin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The exhausts on the LFX flow quite well, therefore, changing it out merely changes sound.

Spend the exact same $$ on a CAI brand intake, add a scoop and order a ported intake. You'll be back in this thread thanking us afterwards.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
two overlooked benefits of new exhaust:

1) Looks better than the stock suitcases!
2) Weight reduction... those stock mufflers are HEAVY!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I was in the same boat on headers until I found out recently they are integrated. I was looking into high flow cats and found these until I seen the price tag.

http://solo-performance.com/camaro-v...tic-converters

I have the MRT V2.0 and even though it doesn't add performance they really sound sweet and I don't regret buying and installing mine and if I had to do it over I would do it again in a heartbeat. The following is from Marano's website and there is another there that is a good watch if you are on the fence about it. It does have some drone to it at interstate speeds but I don't mind it at all. I also heard that replacing the resonator makes it worse. I have not done that as it sounds great the way it is.

I put the CAI on and even though Injen claims 10-15HP I really never noticed it but I think it made a difference in MPG, I actually hit 29.1 MPG and since it sounds so awesome taking off and getting into the pedal I figured I could easily hit 31MPG if I could drive normally but that is not going to happen. There is a delay on them but I am going to get the machined throttle body as a present to myself. I have read there is a noticeable difference after installation so can't wait until I get it.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote