Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #281
jdogscam2013

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray
Newer member to the Camaro forum website. Just purchased a 2013 Blue Ray 2ss w/RS package. The color is awesome and actually looks black at night under lights.
jdogscam2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #282
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Sure, we are talking about apples and oranges, so lets through pears into the argument as well.

It is ASSUMED, that if you are comparing the processing ability of multiple pieces of hardware, that the source files are all the same. Thus the compression does not matter. Yes it affects the quality of the sound, but this is concerning the processing ability of the various devices. Not how the source files affect sound quality.

Four major components involved here: storage (digital data) > DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) > processing/enhancements (bass/treble/EQ/Dolby/etc.) > amp > speakers

The argument that the Zune is better than the iPod (which varies depending on the iPod model - a few iPod models are equal or better) is found to be in the enhancement and amp stages. The iPod performs no extra processing, simply passing the true audio. Whether this is good or bad, is a personal preference. The Zune performs processing to "clean" up the signal and it has a better amp. Better amp equals cleaner sound and the ability to drive the speakers better.

Having said all of that, as previously noted, when a digital device is connected via digital connection to another device (in this case, the car stereo), the DAC and everything after it is removed from the equation. So a Zune being "better" than an iPod is irrelevant. It's simply being used as a storage device. The only way processing ability would matter is if it is being connected using an analog port.

So, back to my original question, has anyone tested BOTH in the same car to provide any real feedback? I have no doubt that some brands/models interface better with the radio. But I wouldn't expect "sound quality" to be an argument to choose one device over another.
We disagree. You say the original data has little or no impact on sound quality once it gets processed to analog I say it does. CD>MP3 (anything above 128)>XM If all of what you said was correct we could compress music all the way down to 1bit and it would have no impact. The head unit can only process what is there it can't add fidelity. ZUNE is far better at the way it compresses the music, period.

You can continue to post on the subject if you like. I only posted to be polite... to let you know I read all that you posted and have enjoined derailing this thread with you.

EDIT. Jim I am NOT talking about the ZUNE processing anything... i am talking about the software and the methods MS uses to compress music.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #283
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm saying compression doesn't matter when testing hardware to see which performs best, as the same test files should be used in all of the hardware being tested.

I completely agree (and I stated such already), that file compression affects sound quality. But it's not a factor in hardware testing. And the initial question had nothing to do with compression. The Zune (or iPod for that matter) don't compress music. They playback (ie: uncompress) music. Any compression is a result of whatever software used to create the files (could be MS for WMA or any number of tools for mp3).

You sound like you know how this stuff works. So it shouldn't be this hard to get a simple answer.

In summary: someone said Zune was better. I asked if anyone tested a Zune and iPod in a Camaro to actually see if there is a difference (there should be none if connected by digital connection). Then you wanted to debate why music compression affects sound quality.

You win. If you don't know the answer, change the subject.

It's all good. All the bantering aside, I'm curious if there is a difference in device types (USB key, iPod, Zune) when connected to the radio. I don't expect there to be any difference. But we need someone to confirm.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #284
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
So, back to my original question, has anyone tested BOTH in the same car to provide any real feedback? I have no doubt that some brands/models interface better with the radio. But I wouldn't expect "sound quality" to be an argument to choose one device over another.
I think Tramtwo's first post was about the 2013's MyLink's big disappointment of not supporting the Zune HD. I don't think anyone has been able to get it to work with the 2013's infotainment system.

I have only tried connecting it via USB (with no success). I have not tried it via AUX. Maybe another option to try would be if you could connect a Bluetooth dongle to the Zune and try to connect to MyLink that way.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #285
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmink View Post
I think Tramtwo's first post was about the 2013's MyLink's big disappointment of not supporting the Zune HD. I don't think anyone has been able to get it to work with the 2013's infotainment system.

I have only tried connecting it via USB (with no success). I have not tried it via AUX. Maybe another option to try would be if you could connect a Bluetooth dongle to the Zune and try to connect to MyLink that way.
It gets worse if you have an android phone... i can stream Bluetooth but have no functionality with Pandora app.

The 2013 has come a long way over the 2011 I had!! Not so crazy about the minimum compatibility with non apple devices.

I will give a +1 to the navigation.... lovin it!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #286
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
It gets worse if you have an android phone... i can stream Bluetooth but have no functionality with Pandora app.

The 2013 has come a long way over the 2011 I had!! Not so crazy about the minimum compatibility with non apple devices.

I will give a +1 to the navigation.... lovin it!

Yeah, I personally haven't tried my Samsung Galaxy Note II yet, but my son did. Like you, he had to connect via Bluetooth to use Pandora. Keeping fingers crossed that this could change with updates!

EDIT: Sorry misread your post. Thought you were able to connect via bluetooth & use Pandora. I'll have to check with my son to verify that he got it to work. I'll also test it myself & see what my results are. I'll let you know how it goes.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #287
kmmink

Quote:
Yeah, I personally haven't tried my Samsung Galaxy Note II yet, but my son did. Like you, he had to connect via Bluetooth to use Pandora. Keeping fingers crossed that this could change with updates!

EDIT: Sorry misread your post. Thought you were able to connect via bluetooth & use Pandora. I'll have to check with my son to verify that he got it to work. I'll also test it myself & see what my results are. I'll let you know how it goes.
OK, so I tested my Note II with MyLink. It does not work connected via USB. Says it's indexing, but only keeps sending out tones(beeps) through the speakers. However, I was able to connect via Bluetooth and use Pandora on MyLink.

On MyLink, you have to go to Config, Phone Settings, and pair your device. You should then be able to control Pandora via the MyLink touch screen.

Haven't tested the Note II via AUX as I don't have a cable.

So Tramtwo, maybe there is hope with the Zune HD and MyLink via Bluetooth if there is such a thing as a Zune HD bluetooth adapter. I know there are ones for the iPods, but have not tried to purchase one for the Zune.
Let me know if you go this route and the outcome.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #288
kmmink

Quote:
OK, so I tested my Note II with MyLink. It does not work connected via USB. Says it's indexing, but only keeps sending out tones(beeps) through the speakers. However, I was able to connect via Bluetooth and use Pandora on MyLink.

On MyLink, you have to go to Config, Phone Settings, and pair your device. You should then be able to control Pandora via the MyLink touch screen.

Haven't tested the Note II via AUX as I don't have a cable.

So Tramtwo, maybe there is hope with the Zune HD and MyLink via Bluetooth if there is such a thing as a Zune HD bluetooth adapter. I know there are ones for the iPods, but have not tried to purchase one for the Zune.
Let me know if you go this route and the outcome.

UPDATE: I dug up an AUX cable and was able to connect the Zune HD to MyLink. Couldn't control the Zune on MyLink (like you can via a USB connection), but just used the device to play music through MyLink.

Maybe with Bluetooth (if possible), the Zune HD could connect to MyLink and be controlled through MyLink.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #289
tramtwo

Thanks for posting.... not sure which direction I will go. I will let ya know.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #290
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Do the standard (non hd) zunes still work with the car? I absolutely refuse to own, support, or even touch one of those bastard hipster apple products. No itunes malware is accepted here ever.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #291
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogscam2013 View Post
Newer member to the Camaro forum website. Just purchased a 2013 Blue Ray 2ss w/RS package. The color is awesome and actually looks black at night under lights.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote