Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Had the exact same problem with a chain carwash a long time ago w a different car.
They did the exact same thing. Wouldn't pay for damages. Sent me a useless coupon for free washes.
I complained all the way up to corporate and still no dice. The damage was only 100 bucks so I wasn't gonna spend money on a lawyer or anything like that and they probably know this.

Good luck

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 AM   #30
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a picture of the ice and the managers statement of seeing the ice.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #31
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Bad luck, but I feel you are fighting a losing battle.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #32
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
If ice fell from your house and it damaging anything, insurance would pay for the damage including medical bills. These huge corp companies have insurance for their insurance. Just because they are a large multi million dollar company do not be afraid to take them to court even if you go in expecting to lose. The negative publicity will probably be enough for them to make things right.

I have to use their self serve bays myself because washing vehicals where I live is prohibited, so I understand the pain. I take up a bay for about an hour at a time on the weekends. I use my own wash, rags, and towel dry no matter how long the line is behind me. I've never had an issue with it either, hell I might have even brought business to mikes sitting there. (or atleast I can think that )
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Damn car washes. I had a similar experience once with a mustang I had. I was leaving the carwash and at the end of their driveway there was a huge pot whole that was filled with water. The sun was glaring so I didn't see that it was 7" deep. I went through slow but once I was in it, it was too late. Ripped the hell out of my Cobra R front end. I left pissed off as hell but returned shortly after I regained myself and went and talked to the gentleman running the car wash. I then proceeded to call the police so I would have something for my insurance company. The owner called me two days later and we met at his place of business (car wash). He looked at the damage, we looked at the huge hole in his exit area and he asked all kinds of questions about if my car was lowered and what not. He attempted to get out of it because he thought my car was to low, but it was factory height for the car. He then tried playing the card that that potion of the driveway was on the city to maintain. He failed at that as well. The pot whole that I had hit was actually a sink whole where the concrete had no rebar in it for structural support. End state was he decided to settle out of court for the replacement of a new bumper and have it painted where I wanted to have it done. Took two weeks to get that done. The sink whole was fixed less than a month after that but has since failed. Needless to say I have never been back to that carwash. All I can say to the OP is stay after them. More times than not, they will just pay for it because they don't want to deal with it in court. Best of luck.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Could you post the pics for us to see,I think that you should get them to pay for the damage they are at least responsible for keeping the facility maintained to prevent damage to persons or property,I've lived where huge ice spikes form and when the sun comes out they start falling off the roof edges if you don't get them first and they can do some damage,it was in the winter so no denying that there was ice right.
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #35
bdsdnfam
NoJoken

Drives: Synergy Green SS
Wow there are a lot of harsh comments considering that Adamz is just asking fellow members for some advice! My advice is to take it to Small Claims Court. Doesn't cost much and they may want to settle versus the hassle created by your filing. Don't listen to the negative comments like "it's just a rock chip". Your car is a significant investment and you have a right to expect reasonable compensation for damages created by someone else's carelessness. And yes, if some idiot trucker hauling gravel would throw a rock at me, I'd chase him down!!!!
bdsdnfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #36
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
It's very difficult to get a judgement in a case like this. How can a business be expected to be responsible for falling ice, falling tree branches, etc. To collect you would have to show some form on negligence on the owner's part.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #37
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsdnfam View Post
Wow there are a lot of harsh comments considering that Adamz is just asking fellow members for some advice! My advice is to take it to Small Claims Court. Doesn't cost much and they may want to settle versus the hassle created by your filing. Don't listen to the negative comments like "it's just a rock chip". Your car is a significant investment and you have a right to expect reasonable compensation for damages created by someone else's carelessness. And yes, if some idiot trucker hauling gravel would throw a rock at me, I'd chase him down!!!!
Thank you. I tried to make that clear in the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
It's very difficult to get a judgement in a case like this. How can a business be expected to be responsible for falling ice, falling tree branches, etc. To collect you would have to show some form on negligence on the owner's part.
The ice was formed from a leaking pipe/ceiling. That is negligence.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #38
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Quote:
The ice was formed from a leaking pipe/ceiling.
Do you have proof of this?
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #39
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Do you have proof of this?
Nope...The manager saw it and said they will need to get it fixed. But he told me they would definitely cover it so I didn't think I would need to open an all out investigation . I'm sure I can't get him to admit to that though.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #40
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
If you have a lawyer buddy who could draft you a letter with that info, not sure if it would help, but maybe it would get them to realize that your serious before filing small claims.

I didn't realize that the manager admitted the leak was a problem and that he told you they would cover it. If you take them to court and either the manager doesn't lie or the judge can see that he isn't telling the truth then you have a shot. Good luck.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #41
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Keep in mind a small claims court victory does not always equal payment of damages awarded. You can win your case but it is your responsibility to try and collect the judgement.
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #42
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
Keep in mind a small claims court victory does not always equal payment of damages awarded. You can win your case but it is your responsibility to try and collect the judgement.
This is very true.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote