Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
LFX - 6th gear shift speed?

Was going to put this in the problems forum, but was more interested in responses from LFX folks so here goes...

Does anybody notice shift lag in the LFX's? For instance I drive the highway every morning into work and the car takes forever to shift into 6th, like it doesnt want to shift. I will be running over 70 and the car will be humming along over 2500 rpms and I'll barely be touching the throttle to maintain speed, and this will go on for several miles if I left it, until it finally shifts. Recently I've taken to swapping into manual and making it shift as it drives me nuts.

I've started to notice it in 4th & 5th randomly here and there so I was wondering if I'm just paranoid. I do have the CAI intake and ported TB, I don't remember this happening before the intake but I didn't have the car long before I bought the intake so maybe its bad memory.
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
I notice that! Mine sometimes doesnt want to shift up from 1rst gear when in sport mode flooring the pedal. Also I sometimes see a late gear change to 6th but not all the time. One other problem i notice is a metal pipe and metal pipe sound effect when just driving in D.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Your saying your gears are getting stuck? Yea Ive noticed that on several occasions. To fix this, floor it for a split second and the car will up-shift.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
MistyBlu10
GOBLIN

Drives: 2015 SS Convertable Green Flash
get a manual no issues

2015 2SS Green Flash Edition
2012 Camaro LFX 45th born 9/24/11 sold 4/1/15
2013 Equinox LTZ
2013 Cruze LTZ
2010 LT2 BLUE RS CAMARO TRADED FOR 45TH
2011 COLARADO Z71 TRADED FOR MALABU
2011 MALABU LTZ TRADED FOR BLUE CAMARO
2007 Z71 Avalanche LTZ
1987 K5 Blazer
BOWTIES AS BLOOD CELLS
GM RULES
MistyBlu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
SimpleGreen

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Mine will lolly gag before it gets to 6th too sometimes. It's just the programming I imagine. You don't want the car to hunt gears so it waits and makes damn sure it can go to 6th before you make it hunt around again. If I recall you can just tap the up shift paddle and it will go to the next gear. Doesn't bother me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyBlu10 View Post
get a manual no issues
I'm personally way too lazy for that non sense
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
I think it stems from the torque converter isses we have. I noticed it after I cut my mufflers off but it may have been happening the whole time.

It does exactly like you say. It holds 5th gear out WAY longer than you should. I even made a thread or posted in a thread about it months ago with no real response.

When I get mine changed I'll let you know. I'm no mechanic either, just my thoughts on it.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
b1gr3dmachin3

Drives: 2012 Camaro IOM LFX
has been happening to mine since I've had the car, I'm guessing a tune would fix it right?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Quote:
get a manual no issues
... The manual....she rocks!

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Quote:
get a manual no issues
This
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Henry G.

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX,CAI,DynomaxVT,RX CC
Quote:
get a manual no issues
Everytime I put my manual in 6th or any other gear it goes right away. :-)
The dealers order almost nothing but autos and brainwash peeps into thinking manuals are weird or something, the fact is this car is 3 times as fun with a manual. I test drove an auto when I shopped for my car, it was such a dog I ordered a manual and the 7 week wait was worth every day. Potential owners unless you have bumper to bumper traffic to contend with or are have no right arm, buy a manual you will be so much happier!!
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
down8

Drives: 2014 Corvette Z51
I've noticed it lolly-gag a bit as well.

I do contend with Bay Area traffic, but I had a manual in my Jetta. I got the auto to protect my license. I was constantly chirping tires with the Jetta. I'd be in trouble with a stick in something with 4x the horsepower.

-bZj
Old 01-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
Was going to put this in the problems forum, but was more interested in responses from LFX folks so here goes...

Does anybody notice shift lag in the LFX's? For instance I drive the highway every morning into work and the car takes forever to shift into 6th, like it doesnt want to shift. I will be running over 70 and the car will be humming along over 2500 rpms and I'll barely be touching the throttle to maintain speed, and this will go on for several miles if I left it, until it finally shifts. Recently I've taken to swapping into manual and making it shift as it drives me nuts.

I've started to notice it in 4th & 5th randomly here and there so I was wondering if I'm just paranoid. I do have the CAI intake and ported TB, I don't remember this happening before the intake but I didn't have the car long before I bought the intake so maybe its bad memory.
Mine does it. I live in the frozen north and it is really noticeable. On the way to work in the morning when I get onto the highway it will shift through the gears fine through fourth, fourth to fifth is slow but from M5 to M6 it takes forever I just hit the tapshift if it goes for more than a half mile at 60. I also notice the torque converter is slow at locking also, this is also known as overdrive on most vehicles. You do not have to switch to manual or sport mode to use the tapshift, just hit the up tapshift paddle in drive mode, it works in both modes. I see your profile says Florida but if you have some 40 to 50 degree mornings you will notice it more. Also, it the way it shifts automatically makes a difference if you have it in drive or sport mode. If you have it in sport mode and do not use the paddles the transmission is still in a performance type mode and the shifting will be more drawn out and/or more aggressive and it will shift on its own in sport mode provided you have not hit the tapshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
I notice that! Mine sometimes doesnt want to shift up from 1rst gear when in sport mode flooring the pedal. Also I sometimes see a late gear change to 6th but not all the time. One other problem i notice is a metal pipe and metal pipe sound effect when just driving in D.
If you are in sport mode and have used the tapshift it is not going to shift up at all, it is completely manual. When in sport mode instead of drive and you have used the tapshift your car will not upshift on it's own in any gear. It will downshift on it's own when coming to a stop but since the tapshift was used and you are in sport mode it will not upshift on it's own when you accelerate from stop. My car does this. I use sport mode once in a while if I want it to shift more aggressively and it will shift up and down like a normal automatic as long as I have not used the paddles. If you want to use sport mode but have use the paddles and want it to shift on its own shift into drive then back into sport. I have used the tapshift in drive mode also to downshift when passing that way I don't have to actually get on the pedal to make it downshift and it will upshift once I let off a little.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Sweet didn't know you could shift manually when it's in drive, I'll have to try that
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
I'm personally way too lazy for that non sense