Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
"Mode" confirmation question

Is it a fact that driving our cars without selecting any one of the 5 modes is when the car has the most Nanny's in use? I am trying to make this question as simple as I can because when I add to it, it sounds confusing.

Does driving in "Tour" and not selecting any of the modes mean you are using all of the cars Nanny's?

Is Wet Mode using less Nanny's than using none of the 5 PTM modes?
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
From what I understand, all of the nannies are in use when in default PTM mode (no mode selected). They are not as restrictive or intrusive as they would be in Mode 1. Mode 1 is most restrictive, and as you progress through mode 5, they become less and less restrictive if not shut off. I think the "default" mode is basically like being in mode 2.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
lopoetve

Drives: 2001 Firebird Formula, 2011 Triumph
I thought that it was more like traditional TC/SC when not in a PTM mode...
lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ZL1 View Post
Is it a fact that driving our cars without selecting any one of the 5 modes is when the car has the most Nanny's in use? I am trying to make this question as simple as I can because when I add to it, it sounds confusing.

Does driving in "Tour" and not selecting any of the modes mean you are using all of the cars Nanny's?

Is Wet Mode using less Nanny's than using none of the 5 PTM modes?
Don't feel bad. I just got mine Saturday and I asked basically the same question because the owners manual is not clear, at least to my own understand or lack thereof.

It tells you in order to use wet mode traction control and stability control will be shown as turned off yet available, which to me is confusing. It only speaks of these modes in terms of track use and not street use.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I think PTM mode 1 is the wet (most restrictive) I believe mode 2 is the same as tour and then mode 3 is the sport mode. Does that make sense?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Shoot Brandon that ? at "Chevrolet customer svc". He's on here daily.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Tour and Sport are just two settings for the mag suspension.

The PTM's are combinations of several settings which include the mag suspension, stabilitrac, traction control in varying degrees, etc, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

The PTM's are combinations of several settings which include the mag suspension, stabilitrac, traction control in varying degrees, etc, etc.

Don't tour and sport equate to PTM modes 2 and 3?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
If you really want to know and feel how responsive the mag ride shocks are find a long section of road that is a bit bumpy but not rough and cycle back and forth from tour and sport and you can feel the rear end firm up quickly. Mode 5 put's the shocks into "track mode" the same setting when all of the "nannies" are disabled. Learn the car before switching off the assists. The torque and semi-cold tires may get you. I certainly learned my lesson!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Don't tour and sport equate to PTM modes 2 and 3?
I believe they are. I think some were confused as I was when I first received my ZL1. I don't use the PTM modes that often. I have used 3 and 4 when driving in the mountains. The confusion comes from understanding the difference between using the console shock setting feature and when using PTM modes selected by the driver, which as you stated have the "shock settings" pre-loaded.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Yeah, what he said. PTM modes are theoretically for driving on a road course. Yes they can be used just as well on regular street driving. But in a PTM mode, for example, the nanny will takes over allowing maximum grip/torque. Without the PTM mode, in Touring or Sport, say you are going around a turn and the ass end starts to swing out the nanny will interrupt, but you would have to let off the throttle or risk losing control. Same turn and let's say its a wet driving condition and you are in PTM mode 1. For the record I've tried this, but was not able to do it because well let's say I just didn't have the balls to keep it wide open. In PTM 1 you put it to the floor, wide open throttle, and as the car starts to lose grip it will power down as necessary to maintain its grip. It will give the power to stay in control of the turn, while you STILL have it wide open. And it will keep increasing that power level eventually putting you the driver back in full control as you're coming out of the turn, no more nannying.

Like I said, I tried this, but before the car even started to lose grip I lost my confidence. It was going too fast and I didn't have the nerve to keep it wide open to let the nanny take charge. I normally take this turn at say 60mph entering, throttle up a little more and three quarters of the way punch it coming out of the turn. So I'm doing over 100 before I'm fully back into the straight. In PTM 1 I should of been able to keep it wide open and the nanny would take care of throttling. No I didn't pee my pants, but yes I didn't have what it takes to let the car do what it's suppose to do. I chickened out, alright I said it. ps. maybe I would've peed my pants had I enough nerve/skill to let the beast do its thing.?
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Five PTM performance levels or modes are available to accommodate the given ambient and track conditions, driver experience/vehicle familiarity and driver comfort levels. They include:
  • Mode 1 – Traction control set for wet conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
  • Mode 2 – Traction control set for dry conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour.
  • Mode 3 – Traction control set on Sport 1, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
  • Mode 4 – Traction control set on Sport 2, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport.
  • Mode 5 – Traction control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track. Launch control tuned for VHT-prepped drag strips.
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...amaro_zl1.html
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Thanks guys, I learned that we need to learn more with all these modes this car has.....I drive in tour almost 100% of the time, and my car will spin the tires if I want it to, and it turns like a dream when I push it. All I wanted to know is if the default mode in tour was the
mode with the most nanny's...and it sounds like it is not. Sounds like mode 1 is more restrictive. Mode 2 is more like not selecting anything and mode 3 would be similar to selecting sport?

Thanks for your responses...

Last edited by BAD ZL1; 02-15-2013 at 10:46 AM.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
What I wrote above, is what the PTM modes are designed for, the track. Everyday driving Touring gives the most comfortable ride. Yes the Nanny's kick in when necessary, but not overbearingly. Sport mode is a little more intense and the Nanny's kick in when necessary, but again not overbearingly. PTM Modes are to keep you on the track so the Nanny's kick in whenever it is necessary. PTM 1 is the most and fastest to kick in the Nannying. From a stop making a left or right in Touring or Sport you can swing the ass end around a little bit before the Nanny interrupts the fun. In PTM 1 that same maneuver will kick in the Nannying immediately.

But that's not the purpose/intent of the PTM Modes. Like I said earlier, I tried to get her to that point in PTM 1, but chickened out. I was not able, didn't have the nerve to keep it wide open, to do what PTM's are designed for, and that's take over throttle control and get you thru the turn safely. That's while keeping it Wide Open. I backed off the throttle because I didn't have the confidence or skill level required. You should be able to keep floored, not letting up whatsoever, and the PTM will safely adjust the throttle thur out the turn. Hope to reach a skill level to be able to experience that one day!

Nothing wrong with everyday driving in a PTM Mode. I'm just stating the actual track purpose of the PTM Modes. I have a hi-way split/merge into another hi-way that has a beautiful long sweeping turn with its own lane when it does merge. A good practice spot for PTM 1. OMG, how pathetic does that sound, I still haven't even mastered PTM 1, well at least I'm honest enough to admit it.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote