Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
ZL1KO

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Change thermostat after dyno?

Had my 2013 ZL1 dyno/tuned this morning, but it appears that it is running about 25 to 30 degrees hotter. The thermostat gauge needle is at 210 degrees straight up. The needle was a little left of center before the tune, but now it is the same distance to the right of center. Do I need to change the thermostat and if I do which one do I need?
Thanks
ZL1KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If you change the thermostat, I think the tune must be modified to change the cooling fan temps and to prevent a code from being thrown due to the longer warm up time for the engine. I wonder why a tune would cause the car to run hotter? Mine only saw 210 during the hottest days of Summer.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
I would defiantly take it back to your tuner.Something is not rite.
What does the DIC say your temps are?

The fans usually are set to come on sooner so your temps stay lower when Tuned.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
ZL1KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
If you change the thermostat, I think the tune must be modified to change the cooling fan temps and to prevent a code from being thrown due to the longer warm up time for the engine. I wonder why a tune would cause the car to run hotter? Mine only saw 210 during the hottest days of Summer.
May not be anything to worry about, but it seems to me its running a tad hotter. Really hard to know how much with the needle gauge. I'm gonna keep my eye on it. After JRRacing emails me the numbers on the dyno, I will post it. Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
ZL1KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
I would defiantly take it back to your tuner.Something is not rite.
What does the DIC say your temps are?

The fans usually are set to come on sooner so your temps stay lower when Tuned.
Sorry, what is the DIC? Temp appears to be somewhere between 215 - 220. Will definitely call and ask about the fans. I'm a greenhorn at this
Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
The DIC is the Driver Information Center, this little screen between your Tach and you Speedometer.
You can change the display to show many different things. Check your manual, put the DIC to display 'Performance Mode' and cycle through till it displays the actual water temp.
Mine normally reads around 195-200.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Well if the tuner leaned the car out a little to make more power then it could in fact be running hotter. Extra fuel in a boosted car helps keep it running cooler. If some of the fuel was removed then running leaner could be the reason why it's running hotter. Also if the spark timing was altered that can also have an effect on the engine operating temp.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Well if the tuner leaned the car out a little to make more power then it could in fact be running hotter. Extra fuel in a boosted car helps keep it running cooler. If some of the fuel was removed then running leaner could be the reason why it's running hotter. Also if the spark timing was altered that can also have an effect on the engine operating temp.

Exactly.

Did you have any mods done when it was tuned? If so, make sure the coolant is also topped off.
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
ZL1KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Innovations View Post
Exactly.

Did you have any mods done when it was tuned? If so, make sure the coolant is also topped off.
Thanks guys for the suggestions and info. I didn't do any mods.....just dyno...definitely gonna check the digital temp on the DIC.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
drrm123

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro A6
Whoever tuned it, did he tell you what type of changes he was making to the original tune? A competent person should be able to explain what they did and why, that's one reason I'm hesitant to take my car some place and have someone tune on it that does not know what they are doing. There are too many variables that can be changed on these cars in the maps for someone to think that just leaning out something is the only why to make power. Not saying that is what they did.

Last edited by drrm123; 02-19-2013 at 08:40 AM.
drrm123 is offline   Reply With Quote