Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Snow Tires?

Apparently there is a Perelli snow tire that fits the ZL1 rims.
My X son-in-law works on the line, his uncle in an engineer at GM.
GM put a set of snows on a January, 2012 ZL1 and drove it to a whole bunch of dealerships, back when they were promoting them. He said the Perelli's were $700 each.

In the thread here with the Dealer prep sheet, in one of the picutres where they describe the lower front valance, the picture has a snow tire.

I'm not planning on driving it in winter, but if i did, i'd be looking for 7" or 8" rims. And really good snow tires.

I have a set of Dunlop WinterSport SP on the Monte SS, which is now my winter-beater
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #58
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
The risk of a wreck is greatly increased in the snow. And the rust and paint damage.
Not to mention the more likely someone will slip and slide into your ZL1 in the snow.
Everyone has the right to drive their car in whatever weather they like. I have never and will never drive my "hot rods" in the snow.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #59
lopoetve

Drives: 2001 Firebird Formula, 2011 Triumph
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Well, that's odd.
My DD is a 08 Malibu and has been driven through every winter since the car was bought and runs just as fine as the day I bought it, and NO, this car is not babied in any way.

No parts have fallen off, no connectors have failed, no rust is visible, and the seats are still just fine.

How is that possible?
Give it another 5 years, and it'll start showing. The question is - do you really care about how it's like in years 10-15, or in years 30-40? I bought this car to keep for a lifetime and possibly pass on - I fully plan on driving it, but at least to me, I don't feel like exposing it to a bunch of caustic mess if I can avoid it. It won't show now, or in that 10-15 year period, but farther on, it absolutely will - and I, at least, care about that.
lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #60
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER View Post
NO HEAVILY MEDICATED FOR YOUR PROTECTION! !!
VIETNAM 68-70

MORPHINE, METHADONE, OXYCODONE AND A LITTLE GRAND MARNIER ON A DAILY BASIS! !
:flag2:
Old 02-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #61
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
I like how a bunch of folks on here can't just answer the question. I just saw a 2012 AMG 550 Class Mercedes, I yelled him at him and told him to go get the beater and park his $130K car. He yelled back "Okay that would be the ZL1."

490RWHP + 4200 lbs + snow tires = okay
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #62
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Holly crap...why is everyone so concerned about what someone else does with their car and their money??? Drive it in the snow, park it in the garage, baby it, or wreck it in a frickin derby...who cares??? Just enjoy what you drive, whatever it is and however you drive it.

Now quit the whining and give some valid feedback on the question the OP had or move on.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #63
Bam K

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillz View Post
Awesome stuff. Glad some guys are enjoying there cars and not getting too worked up about keeping the car perfect.
Haha. True. I have only this car for my DD. I love to enjoy with it as much as i can. After that just clean it. That what i did.
Bam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #64
Bam K

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Holly crap...why is everyone so concerned about what someone else does with their car and their money??? Drive it in the snow, park it in the garage, baby it, or wreck it in a frickin derby...who cares??? Just enjoy what you drive, whatever it is and however you drive it.

Now quit the whining and give some valid feedback on the question the OP had or move on.
👍👍👍 for me it is true that salt will effect to the car, but clean it with water after drive should be fine. ( my opinion and i did this) snow tire is good to have incase of emergency w/o DD
Bam K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #65
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Not to mention the more likely someone will slip and slide into your ZL1 in the snow.
Everyone has the right to drive their car in whatever weather they like. I have never and will never drive my "hot rods" in the snow.

Takes one guy whos driving a winter beater with no snow tires and no ABS to slide into you and total whatever car you have.

Honestly, ZL1 would be great in snow with the right tires, the car would survive and face it, its a car. But I love my car, and honestly would cry everyday if some f***er crashed into me and totalled it. Yes its a possibility in any driving condition, but put snow and ice into the equation and the odds get even larger!

PS Finally Satisfied, the pic of the Z covered in snow is a badass pic
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #66
ZL One

Drives: '12 ZL1 M6 IOM (1 of 107) #1252
Just get a 2013 Super Crew Ford SVT Raptor as your daily driver.

And for the zombie apocalypse?
ZL One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #67
crangie

Drives: Camaro ZL1 #641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL One View Post
Just get a 2013 Super Crew Ford SVT Raptor as your daily driver.

And for the zombie apocalypse?
+1
crangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #68
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6

This was my DD before the ZL-1 (It would've been perfect for the zombie apocalypse). It's a shame I couldn't keep both but I was missing having a car too much
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #69
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF1 View Post
Apparently there is a Perelli snow tire that fits the ZL1 rims.
My X son-in-law works on the line, his uncle in an engineer at GM.
GM put a set of snows on a January, 2012 ZL1 and drove it to a whole bunch of dealerships, back when they were promoting them. He said the Perelli's were $700 each.

In the thread here with the Dealer prep sheet, in one of the picutres where they describe the lower front valance, the picture has a snow tire.

I'm not planning on driving it in winter, but if i did, i'd be looking for 7" or 8" rims. And really good snow tires.

I have a set of Dunlop WinterSport SP on the Monte SS, which is now my winter-beater

I have the Pirelli winter tires that fit with the stock ZL1 rims. They look good and car handles fine in the cold weather. I wanted to drive my car through the winter - didn't want to risk driving on the stock Goodyears on cold pavement. I have driven the car throughout the winter months but have never driven it in snow or salt. Plan to keep the Pirellis on the car until the weather warms up and then swap in the Goodyears for summer driving. A bit of a pain to change the tires out each season but there's a kid at my local tire shop who does an awesome job at swapping. Not a single scratch on my rims yet..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #70
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
With stock tires, my SS can't even get out of its own way in the snow. I used to drive the 99 Z28 in the snow with arctic alpine tires, but quite because of the sand, etc. on the roads.
djnice is offline   Reply With Quote