Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Crashnburn7

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Well shortly my car will be tuned, so I can just imagine the dealer will blame it on that, although I could be wrong. Just an assumption
Crashnburn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Crashnburn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerisbetter View Post
i dont know why the spark plug wire causes it i think it is something to do with limp mode but it does. just check them when u can i bet thats what it is.
Limp Mode? lol.. sorry Im fairly new, although I am on this forum almost all the free time I have and learned a lot.... still a ways to go
Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
The engine is considered a part of the Stabilitrack system. A fault with the engine will trigger the Stabilitrack indication. Is your Service Engine light on? Usually if a miss in the engine is detected, this will set the Service engine and Stabilitrack lights.

Another possibility is... since the car was stored for a while, check under the hood for chewed up wiring by rodents.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Crashnburn7

Checked my car, spark plug wires are snug, no signs of rodents (I took precautions on this). I did start it up, and no warning..

Pretty tempremental huh?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Timing and fuel management work with stabilitrac, an engine misfire could cause a service stabilitrac because the engine management will not be able to pull timing properly. If you are getting that code at start up and you are not driving the vehicle that could mean that the wheel sensors are not receiving signal. If you drive the car does it go away? Pull it out of the garage and drive it back in, that maybe enough to get the wheel sensors to register with GM LAN...let us know what you find
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
Cruz-lo

Drives: 2010 2ss RS
Weak Batt or slow cranking etc will cause it as well.
Goes away after
Overnight sit or
Reflash of the ECM or
After disconnecting the batt for a while.

Ask me how I know!

I would add when it happens to me the tach no longer works and the car runs like crap!
Cruz-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
talltom

Drives: Silver LS
Had the stabilitrack service light, too

The warning came up Friday and car would not accelerate properly. I think the notification indicates a misfire. Of course the engine light came on and stayed on. The acceleration problem went away when I drove it later in the day, but the engine light stayed on. I suspected the injectors might need cleaning so had that done today. Tech said it was a misfire code and cleared it. Been fine since.

Silver LS - manual, white stripes, black interior, and those swell 18" black steelies! (18" Bavarian aluminum in the garage).
talltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn7 View Post
Checked my car, spark plug wires are snug, no signs of rodents (I took precautions on this). I did start it up, and no warning..

Pretty tempremental huh?
Could very well be a low battery, Make sure you keep a battery tender on the car while in storage, Or disconnect the Battery.

There have been Multiple complaints about batteries when storing the car.

The SCT can Scan for any codes and report them to me and I will help.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
pretty sure our car uses that service stabilitrak for a lot of things. mine used it for a cracked sparkplug....
Old 03-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
Crashnburn7

I will scan it with the SCT and let you know Ted, thanks

**Side note: I did not have my battery on a tender, asked a few of my "knowledgable friends" if I should, and they said you shouldnt need unless you are storing your car for more extensive periods of time. And it did sound a tad weak starting up, like the battery was drained.

-Steve
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #25
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
It'll never hurt to have a battery tender on a stored vehicle.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn7 View Post
I will scan it with the SCT and let you know Ted, thanks

**Side note: I did not have my battery on a tender, asked a few of my "knowledgable friends" if I should, and they said you shouldnt need unless you are storing your car for more extensive periods of time. And it did sound a tad weak starting up, like the battery was drained.

-Steve
Battery tender is a great investment or get in the habit of disconnecting the battery.

Batteries have a Self discharge rate that varies with manufacturer and type of battery.

High end batteries have a very low Self Discharge Rate.

The cars today have a lot of electronics that run at very low amp draw but it is still a draw just the same.

Battery Tender or Battery disconnect is the only solution for storage.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
MARKS5LTRETR
I'm a lucky dude

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS #1226
I had a service stabilitrac warning activate when I downshifted from 6th to 5th at about 75 and ran to just over 120ish, it goes away as soon as I get back to just under 80. Happened twice, no cel, so far I haven't had an opportunity to check with a scanner? Ideas?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #28
Beaukz28

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Stabilitrac works with the ECM and abs to keep the car from loosing control. Similar to trac control. But takes into account the steering angle from the steering wheel position sensor as well as the amount of yaw from the yaw rate sensor. It will close throttle and reduce timing as well as apply different brakes through the abs motor all in an effort to keep the vehicle going in the right direction and from loosing contro. Trac control keeps tires from spinning, abs keeps brakes from locking, and stabilitrac keeps car from loosing control! Anytime there is a trouble code stored it disables the system which is why you get the message. Could be from the abs (wheel sensor issue), or engine code ( stored with engine light on or off), or one of the sensors for the stabilitrac itself. A lot of time you will get a service trac control or service abs message as well since they all work from mostly the same components. It will not come on just from sitting still and not seeing wheel speed. Probably caused by one of two things I see every day. First is low voltage from sitting. Low voltage affects so many things. You could have ten camaros with low volts and they might all have a different symptom. Second, is a code stored. May be a low voltage code. May be a misfire code from loose plug wire which is common. Or I see a lot of chewed wires from stored cars which would probably cause a code of some sort also disabling the system. Did two this week. Get a code pulled and PM me and I will be glad to give some direction. Also, if it is not from an engine related issue, then most likely it is a code stored in the abs module which your programmer may not read.
Beaukz28 is offline   Reply With Quote