Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
IndianaSPEED

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS Yellow
Should I add Flowmaster/Dynomax Mufflers along with Magnaflow 11386 Muffler/X-Pipe?

Hey guys and gals. It took me forever today to find a good shop around the Cocoa, Florida area but I did. :-) The sales/service rep suggested an h-pipe removal with a x-pipe and flowmaster dual mufflers that will replace the stock ones. Unfortunately, the shop didn't have any x-pipe parts so he suggested that I order one online. I purchased the Magnaflow 11386 Muffler/X-Pipe system on amazon.com for around $100.00 a few hours ago and will have it ready to take to the shop on Thursday. All videos with Flowmaster mufflers on V6 Camaro's sound very raspy from what I have heard.

I have looked at numerous videos with my 500watt sound system cranking... And the Magnaflow X-Pipe muffler videos sound the best to me along with the price. I am not looking at performance gain with this setup but more for deeper and louder tone.

Question #1 Should I get the shop to install the Flowmaster mufflers that they suggest with my resonated x-pipe setup? Will the car sound more like stock if I do? Would the X-Pipe 11386 remove the rasp sounds that I have heard with the Flowmaster products?

Question #2 Should I look into purchasing some Dynomax Race Bullets instead of using the shop suggested Flowmaster dual mufflers? Do you know the part number for the bullets? The bullets seem pretty cheap to buy!

Question #3 Should I just keep my original plan and have the Magnaflow 11386 Muffler with pipes out and no mufflers in the back?

Thank you. Narrowing down my choices one day at a time. Hahaha!
IndianaSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
crk5600

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
This is my .02 that I hope will help you out. I have the res x pipe and straight pipes out the rear diffuser. I would rate the sound at a 7.5 out of 10. This setup only cost me about 150 so I am happy with the sound. I only rate it there for a few reasons. At slow take off the car will at times remind me of a 4 cylinder and has in cabin drone between 2000 and 2800 rpm. I have a auto and I think it would sound a lot better on a stick because the only time I don't like the sound is after shift point. Anything above 3k rpm I am really happy with the sound. I have considered adding either magnaflow or flow master mufflers but fear it would take away volume of the exhaust bringing it back to stock volume but just a little better tone. You defiantly won't have an issue with rasp as my res x pipe took it all away.
1979 Cb650- Under Construction
crk5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
My thoughts

You are right to get the magnaflow resonated muffler. Good stuff!

1) yes it would remove the rasp. There is a video around here (likely in the exhaust sticky thread) of a V6 running the flowmaster American Thunder axle back with the resonated X. There is no rasp and has a great low tone, but it tames them down quite a bit as well.

2) If you want a more aggressive exhaust, but still no rasp, then I'd recommend this setup. My only fear would be how bad the drone is. Honestly, I'm running a magnflow res X with magnaflows out back. Awesome tone, but I really want more growl, so I'm thinking about taking a chance with a setup like this.

If you do this, PLEASE post up your thoughts and videos if you can!

3) This is the cheapest route, but will likely cause the most drone, and as the previous guy said, seems to have a bit of a ricer sound at certain rpm ranges. I've considered doing this as well, but have backed off b/c in the videos I've heard, it sounds a bit too "tuner" ish.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
My opinion, go with the dynomax race bullets because they sound great without the magnaflow x-pipe, "according to my YouTube research", and I've always wondered what they would sound like with the magnaflow x-pipe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2TZ1vqElHS8
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSPEED View Post
Hey guys and gals. It took me forever today to find a good shop around the Cocoa, Florida area but I did. :-) The sales/service rep suggested an h-pipe removal with a x-pipe and flowmaster dual mufflers that will replace the stock ones. Unfortunately, the shop didn't have any x-pipe parts so he suggested that I order one online. I purchased the Magnaflow 11386 Muffler/X-Pipe system on amazon.com for around $100.00 a few hours ago and will have it ready to take to the shop on Thursday. All videos with Flowmaster mufflers on V6 Camaro's sound very raspy from what I have heard.

I have looked at numerous videos with my 500watt sound system cranking... And the Magnaflow X-Pipe muffler videos sound the best to me along with the price. I am not looking at performance gain with this setup but more for deeper and louder tone.

Question #1 Should I get the shop to install the Flowmaster mufflers that they suggest with my resonated x-pipe setup? Will the car sound more like stock if I do? Would the X-Pipe 11386 remove the rasp sounds that I have heard with the Flowmaster products?

Question #2 Should I look into purchasing some Dynomax Race Bullets instead of using the shop suggested Flowmaster dual mufflers? Do you know the part number for the bullets? The bullets seem pretty cheap to buy!

Question #3 Should I just keep my original plan and have the Magnaflow 11386 Muffler with pipes out and no mufflers in the back?

Thank you. Narrowing down my choices one day at a time. Hahaha!
Well my first question is what kind of pipes are you running off the resonated xpipe? The stock 2.25" pipes are too restrictive "sound wise" and going with a 2.5" or 3" out of the xpipe will give you a much deeper and much much smoother sound.

For me, I plan on doing the 3" pipe with a 3" in and out tip on the end to round everything off. I figure this is much better than running a 2.25" restrictive pipe and then an artificial 4" tip on the ends.

Then again I have the gfx package so the tip isn't that big of a deal anyways but 3" is where its at for maximum sound from a rear muffler delete.

Only reason I'm saying this is I know someone with a '11 mustang who has the resonated xpipe and he bumped up his exhaust pipe size and it made a world of a difference. I know the Mustang is a completely different breed but we can still expect similar results.

In Alberta, most shops will quote around $325 including materials and labour to perform this mod. At the end of the day, you could also just add on bullets if your still not satisfied.... its a win win for you.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
cajun2010

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
i have the flowmaster with the magnaflow xpipe. it does quiet it down inside a bit, but over the yrs it has gotten a bit louder. it sounds great after i put the doug thorley short tube headers on it.

its a great setup in my opinion, plus a few locals have said it sounded great

cajun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
IndianaSPEED

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS Yellow
Thank you for all of your replies. I am going to go with the Magnaflow 11386 and Flowmaster Mufflers. I am more looking into better sound but what (if any) performance increase can I expect with this setup? I may try the Dynomax Bullets in the future though!
IndianaSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote