Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
do you need springs with the hotcam?
roller rockers?
timing chain?
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
uke

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
do you need springs with the hotcam?
roller rockers?
timing chain?
Depends on the cam.

For any decent size cam, you will need stronger springs, pushrods, valve locks, and retainers.

Rockers and timing chain can stay stock.

I'm running a 232/236 .600 .600 112LSA cam in my LS2 (fairly decent sized cam) with the above things swapped out.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON SUPPORTING PARTS!! Saving $200 by keeping stock springs that can't support the lift of a bigger cam will cost you thousands after your engine goes boom.

As for warranty, a cam will void your *powertrain* warranty for certain. However the non-powertrain parts will still be covered. After my cam install, I needed a strut mount replaced, malfunctioning stereo head-unit replaced, plastic backing to steering wheel spokes replaced, and front brake rotors resurfaced, all covered under warranty with no issues on a car with a VERY obvious bigger cam. Just don't expect your engine/transmission to be covered.
uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by uke View Post
Depends on the cam.

For any decent size cam, you will need stronger springs, pushrods, valve locks, and retainers.

Rockers and timing chain can stay stock.

I'm running a 232/236 .600 .600 112LSA cam in my LS2 (fairly decent sized cam) with the above things swapped out.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON SUPPORTING PARTS!! Saving $200 by keeping stock springs that can't support the lift of a bigger cam will cost you thousands after your engine goes boom.

As for warranty, a cam will void your *powertrain* warranty for certain. However the non-powertrain parts will still be covered. After my cam install, I needed a strut mount replaced, malfunctioning stereo head-unit replaced, plastic backing to steering wheel spokes replaced, and front brake rotors resurfaced, all covered under warranty with no issues on a car with a VERY obvious bigger cam. Just don't expect your engine/transmission to be covered.

Buy a matching cam package.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
uke

For reference, below is the entire cam package I got with my car that included everything that needed to be swapped out to support the bigger cam:

Quote:
LSX “MAX-AIR” Custom Camshaft Kit
Custom “MAX-AIR-16” Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
FTI GEN4 Dual Valve Springs - Max Lift .650”
FTI Hardened & Machined Spring Locators
FTI Seven Degree Titanium Retainers
FTI Hardened Seven Degree Valve Locks
Viton Valve Stem Seals
FTI Pro-Series Hardened Pushrods
$950 complete, with FREE shipping!
Also, if you want the best expertise possible, check with Ed Curtis at flowtechinduction.com. He knows his stuff. Tell him your goals for the car and he will hook you up with the cam and cam package that works best. Bigger is not always better.

And yes, parts for these cars are expensive. Unfortunately, not much you can do about it.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
uke

Also, if you want to do it right, get a decent pair of longtube headers on your car before swapping out a cam.

Otherwise, it's like making your engine breathe through a coffee stirrer. Do it right.