Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #29
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I prefer wet sanding, I hate dust LOL
Old 05-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #30
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
I prefer wet sanding, I hate dust LOL
Haha very true! I think I may try wet sanding, since that has been recommended most from what I've heard
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #31
Aubrey64

Ok, so I got the dash trim piece all cleaned up! It really wasn't too bad, it took about an hour, and I just went slow. Here is a picture
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  99.3 KB

Then, I sanded it down, and I am gonna clear coat it tonight/tomorrow! Here is it sanded down:
Name:  12.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  91.4 KB

I haven't gotten a chance to do the A/C vent bezel yet, but I'll post some more pictures once the dash piece is finished up
Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #32
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
any updates?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #33
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
let us know how fitment is !
Old 06-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anymore updates?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #35
Aubrey64

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates! Work got unexpectantly busy. But, I ended up redoing both of these pieces the problem with the A/C vent was that the carbon fiber came loose from the bezel, and it didn't look right. Then, then the dash pieces came out okay, but it was cracked on one of the corners of the part I was tempted to just keep it as is, but decided against it. I'll post some pics of the mess ups when I get home from work later today. I do have some new carbon fiber coming in the mail and so I'm gonna try again as soon as the new CF comes in. So I'll keep y'all updated
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #36
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I was wondering about you're progress. Don't feel bad I had to redo several parts even 3 times...
Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #37
Aubrey64

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
I was wondering about you're progress. Don't feel bad I had to redo several parts even 3 times...
Yeah, I've heard from tons of people that it's normal to mess up multiple times, so I'm not to worried about it. I tried a few different times on these parts, but the main problem I am having is keeping the weave straight, and keeping it from seperating, but each time I do it, it gets better and better. I don't have any updates as of now though, because the fabric is still in the mail but when it comes in, I'm gonna get started again. As soon as I get past the stage I last updated ya'll on, I'll include more steps/pictures. I just don't want to confuse anyone with a bunch of posts about mess ups and screwed up attempts.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #38
Aubrey64

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I have been busy with other things, and I also wanted to do a bit more research before I wasted another 4 yards of fabric.

Anyways, I think I learned what I was doing wrong.
- When applying the fabric, you first want to apply the resin/hardener, and when I did that I applied the fabric immediately after applying the resin/hardener, and that is NOT CORRECT.
- What you want to do is, you apply the first layer of resin/hardner, and then you want to wait until that gets tacky. You want it to be very sticky, that way the fabric has something to bind to. It may take an hour to get tacky, or it may take 3 hours, but it is VERY IMPORTANT to wait until it gets tacky. After applying the fabric apply another layer of resin, and let it cure over night.

That is what I was doing wrong, I was applying the fabric too soon, and the fabric had nothing to stick to. If anybody finds my explanation of this confusing, please let me know!

Now for an update! This week I worked on this quite a bit, and today I worked on it for about 3 hours. I am almost done with the A/C vent bezel and the drivers side dash trim piece. All I need to do is clean them up a bit, and then clear coat them. So hopefully they will be done tomorrow
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  127.1 KB

I also started on the trunk drain lids! I applied the fabric and the first layer of resin/hardener. So I am gonna let that cure over night, and I’ll continue working on it tomorrow.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  135.7 KB

So far I'm really happy with how it is turning out with this batch of parts
Old 07-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
This is an awesome project man. I go to school in arlington and find myself in Plano everyone and then and would love to see this when it's done!
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #40
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
I'm excited to see how this turns out... just curious, why not just go for the vinyl wrap? Authenticity? Just want to tackle something new?

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
Aubrey64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrycamaro View Post
This is an awesome project man. I go to school in arlington and find myself in Plano everyone and then and would love to see this when it's done!
Thanks! Hopefully it turns out like I hope it will. But yeah for sure! PM when you are in the area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Est.July.4.1776 View Post
I'm excited to see how this turns out... just curious, why not just go for the vinyl wrap? Authenticity? Just want to tackle something new?
Yeah, so am I! Well, I have always liked the way true carbon fiber looks better than vinyl, and since its summer and I am not in school right now, I just thought it would be a good project to do that could take up my time.