Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Im a detailer and know in my heart that our seats arent the best quality. Although leather itself isnt made to withstand the abuse of a 120k miles on a car, even if its italian leather in a ferrari lol.

Its going to wear. I too planned to just replace them every 6 years or something. Maybe i can just get recaros then.

I believe our leather has a thin plastic coating on it anyway, so that doesnt help.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #16
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I actually bought a full set of brand new take-off leather covers from SLP a few years ago when they were selling them while doing the ZL575 conversions...figured it was good insurance to have a brand new set in a box down the road... I didn't think I'd have wear in less than 10,000 miles though, and I hate to break up the set to replace one rear section of my seat...it's not bad, it just isn't perfect anymore, and I'm a perfectionist. That's why I'd consider just buying the backrest portion of the driver's seat if someone has the part #, I guess my dealer could look it up, but i'm pretty sure they won't be the cheapest place to order from.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #17
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
I just noticed today that my seat is cracking in the perforated part of the back rest. Car has 22000 miles and I only weigh about 145 wet. Any chance that this is covered by the warranty? Car is always parked in the car port and is not a daily driver.
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi z28racer,

If the issue is found to be a result of defects in materials or workmanship, then yes, the seat would be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Please let me know if you would like me to schedule an appointment for you at your local dealership!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
I just noticed today that my seat is cracking in the perforated part of the back rest. Car has 22000 miles and I only weigh about 145 wet. Any chance that this is covered by the warranty? Car is always parked in the car port and is not a daily driver.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I second the thought that the seat leather is not of very good quality. Perhaps not the quality of the leather, but the thickness. GM uses materials on the backside to keep the leather from tearing on its own. I did not know that leather could be sliced as thin as this leather. It almost looks like it was sprayed onto the fabric. I had to have the drivers seat cover on my Silverado replaced under warranty because it wore through. It is worn out again, but now out of warranty. My Camaro has less than 7000 miles and the seat shows wear and will need to be replaced soon.
Now on another note, my Jaguar which cost over twice what the Camaro did has almost 70,000 miles and the seats look new. I guess we just have to accept that we get what we paid for as far as seats go.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi z28racer,

If the issue is found to be a result of defects in materials or workmanship, then yes, the seat would be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Please let me know if you would like me to schedule an appointment for you at your local dealership!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you for your concern Jessica. I would appreciate anything you can help me out with. My dealer is Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa California. I usually deal with Rose in service..

Thank you for your concern and help Jessica.

Tom
z28racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi Tom!

I left a voice mail for Rose and am awaiting a call back to speak with her. In the meantime, if you could provide me with your last name, phone number, VIN, and vehicle mileage through a private message, I can add this information to our records. Thank you so much!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
Thank you for your concern Jessica. I would appreciate anything you can help me out with. My dealer is Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa California. I usually deal with Rose in service..

Thank you for your concern and help Jessica.

Tom
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #22
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Mine has this same issue at 34,000 miles and 4 years. Thankfully, I have an extended warranty for 2 more years.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
It's top-coated leather, and is the most common leather (something like 90%) used in cars. The top layer can flake away from the bottom layer. That's evident in some of the pics. It can also crack and delaminate. Common for all makes.

The quality of the leather itself can very greatly and influence the usable life of the seat material. In the end, all leather deteriorates and will need to be replaced at some point.