Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Here you go... let's get it on the Dyno... See you there.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33137
Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
The problem I have with tuning is that I live in the Cayman Islands and there is nobody here that could (or trust) tune it for me. I would be willing to pay for someones airfare to tune it for me. Would they also need a dyno? We use to have one but they took it to Jamaica
Old 07-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #17
Late Model Racecraft

Drives: 98 Camaro Race Car 3.96 @ 202 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaskier View Post
I installed them Saturday morning & have about 400 miles since. Sound is better, from inside at least. BUT, I don't really feel much of a difference "in the seat of my pants" as others have described after installing headers. Of course I didn't dyno it before or after so no real numbers. Hopefully I can get it tuned & dyno'd soon since baseline should be somewhat similar in all 2SS M6's.

No video camera & only an Iphone for a camera so don't hold your breath. Sorry.
If the Mass air flow sensor is not in the correct spot on your aftermarket CAI system it will cause a check engine light. Come on by the shop and we will get you taken care of with a complete dyno tune. We will show you before and after results!

2019 ZR1 LT5*9.00*@ 157
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55*@ 184*MPH
Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160**
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
FIRST 2010 CAMARO in the 9's-2010
713-466-9900
Latemodelracecraft.com
Late Model Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #18
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
The problem I have with tuning is that I live in the Cayman Islands and there is nobody here that could (or trust) tune it for me. I would be willing to pay for someones airfare to tune it for me. Would they also need a dyno? We use to have one but they took it to Jamaica
Although a dyno tune is preferable, you can work with one of the shops to tune your PCM based on your mods and ship it back to you. I think some are already offering a similar service.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #19
Deltaskier

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
If the Mass air flow sensor is not in the correct spot on your aftermarket CAI system it will cause a check engine light. Come on by the shop and we will get you taken care of with a complete dyno tune. We will show you before and after results!
You're on my list of people to call this morning.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
I wasn't really prepared to void my engine warranty just yet with a tune, but what the heck. It's just a toy. I have the Doug Thorley shorties & the new era CAI. I was hoping the car would adjust itself even if I didn't take full advantage of the gains possible.

Who knows of a tune shop in Houston?
i had long tubes on my WS6 and it had the Ls1 edit, and it threw the 02 sensor every once in a while. It might never go away. The worst case scenario is that its going to run rich and burn up your cats faster. The problem with the headers is that pretty much everything from the headers back is now going to VOID in your warranty, now when you throw in the tune your whole power train warranty could in a sense could be voided, but that comes with upgrading parts. Thats why I was going to wait 5 years until the warranty was up, im just not prepared to fork over dough in the first five years on the vehicle.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Is it normal for my car to give an engine code after installing CAI & headers? I know the comp needs time to recalibrate, but wasn't expecting the code. I unhooked the batt & it went away for a while but came back on.

what code is it giving?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #22
Deltaskier

I just went to Autozone to have the code read. They said something like 102 or 20something. Related to MAF sensor. I was chasing my daughter around so I wasn't really listening as I already figured it was related to the MAF.

It also seems to "buck"(maybe a backfire) every once in a while, when holding a steady throttle.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
I just went to Autozone to have the code read. They said something like 102 or 20something. Related to MAF sensor. I was chasing my daughter around so I wasn't really listening as I already figured it was related to the MAF.

It also seems to "buck"(maybe a backfire) every once in a while, when holding a steady throttle.
At least that narrows it down to the New Era CAI and not the headers...
Old 07-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
Deltaskier

Went out to lunch today & the check engine light was out.

I know I'm not taking full advantage of the upgrades without the tune, but can't afford it right now. As long as the car is happy, I'll drive like that a bit.

Pretty pleased with the sound. Really didn't have enough seat time to tell if the car is quicker or not. It seems to wind up the RPMs much quicker so I guess that means I'm getting there quicker.

I hope to have some track times this weekend.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
Deltaskier

Also, the new era CAI was a breeze to install. Headers were pretty easy as well but read the directions. My pass side manifold came out the top so I thought the header would slide in there too. OOPS. Kinda got stuck a little & scratched them up some. two extra bolts removed from the bottom & would have been no scratches & saved about 30 minutes.

Drivers side slid right down in there no problem.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Good deal... May just have taken a while to learn the new flow. I would really like to hear the headers or at least see them installed. It's one of the choices I have on the table for the next mod. Good to know about the passenger side too...

Are you going to make the Dyno session at LMR?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
well new headers are going to affect your warranty as well, unless its GMPP. But yeah headers will throw codes because if you get long tubes or short tubes the distance between the two sensors change and the readings are thrown off. So you will have to get a tune to change that. if you dont want to get a tune which without one you wont get the most out of your upgrades, to you could buy the cheap 50 dollar code reader and just delete the code.
Quote:
i had long tubes on my WS6 and it had the Ls1 edit, and it threw the 02 sensor every once in a while. It might never go away. The worst case scenario is that its going to run rich and burn up your cats faster. The problem with the headers is that pretty much everything from the headers back is now going to VOID in your warranty, now when you throw in the tune your whole power train warranty could in a sense could be voided, but that comes with upgrading parts. Thats why I was going to wait 5 years until the warranty was up, im just not prepared to fork over dough in the first five years on the vehicle.
Long tubes ONLY affect the complete exhaust warranty back. If you change out your entire exhaust, does anyone really think GM would warranty someone else's exhaust or even their own if you have GM stuff AFTER the aftermarket stuff?

Nah...

Long tubes are fine. It won't affect the powertrain warranty. I've talked to numerous people about this...and this is why I went ahead and did long tubes instead of shorties to get the most I could out of the exhaust.

i got my check engine light at about 2,000 miles after my long trip back home. Stainless is working on a program/download to fix this issue. Before I download anything, I'm checking with my dealer and some GM folks first to make sure it does NOT affect or void the manufacturers warranty.

I KNOW that tuning the computer AFTER getting headers to get the most from the system will void the warranty....just ask the San Antonio ZR1 owner who tuned her LS9 only to throw a rod, needed a new engine, and got the pleasure of spending 21k on a new LS9. No thanks...I'm not touching anything like tunes or anything.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #28
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Although a dyno tune is preferable, you can work with one of the shops to tune your PCM based on your mods and ship it back to you. I think some are already offering a similar service.
This is good to know. I was wondering about this option.

Quote:
I could deal with that. That makes sense voiding the warranty from the headers back. I could deal with changing out cats until the warranty is up. Wouldn't want to mess the the PCM yet.