Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
RayYork
LordVader

Drives: 2011 RS 2SS 99 BMW 328i 96 K1500
OBD2 (MX Scan Tool) and Service Stabilitrack

OK, I'm on my 2nd OBD2 port adapter (the first was the Auterra OBD II Scan tool) and both have generated the Service Stabilitrac message. Has this happened with anyone else?

RayYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
OK, I'm on my 2nd OBD2 port adapter (the first was the Auterra OBD II Scan tool) and both have generated the Service Stabilitrac message. Has this happened with anyone else?
Strange. I've never heard of an OBD II reader causing an error message. My MX works fine...

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
RayYork
LordVader

As soon as I unplug it, all is well again

Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayYork View Post
This happened the other day with my Range AFM delete unit that plugs into the OBD2 port. Car is not running, but the ignition was in the on position. Not sure if there is a relationship to your problem, just wondering if aftermarket devices that use the OBD2 port create this problem.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
This happened the other day with my Range AFM delete unit that plugs into the OBD2 port. Car is not running, but the ignition was in the on position. Not sure if there is a relationship to your problem, just wondering if aftermarket devices that use the OBD2 port create this problem.
I could understand the AFM delete doing it because it is able to write to the car. But I dont understand how cables or Bluetooth plugs that can't write or software that cant write would cause it.

Like I said, my MX Bluetooth dongle works perfectly.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
it's called noise - the plug is just not a simple switching device that distributes power and data when called upon. it is an interface into a network that has data on it all the time. when noise is introduced into a data stream it will either cause collisions or create errors both of which are unpredictable. on one vehicle you may not have enough to create the light(s) and errors but on one built identical to it you may have the issue.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Hey Ray,

Did you ever get your MX problem resolved?
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
Hey Ray,

Did you ever get your MX problem resolved?
I've come to the conclusion that the issue is my phone. I went to a different system but had similar issues and then took that system to a different car and had issues. The only common piece is my phone.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Thanks for the reply Ray,

I have a ZL1 using the MX and a Nexxus 7. It worked perfectly for about an hour until we made a stop at a gas station. Got back in and cranked it up and the dash board was lit up with warning lights and the electric power steering was real sluggish.

Turned it back off and let is set for a couple of minutes and the tried again. Some of the lights went away but not all and power steering was still acting up.

Powered down again, unplugged the MX, tried it again and everything was fine.

I guess I am going to jump on the Scan Tool site and see if there are any firmware updates.
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
RayYork
LordVader

My guess is that it's the phone. I think that it is just doing too many things at once and is introducing lag into the system that the pcm is not expecting so it throws off the whole works

Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
hiddenangels89

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro L99
I had the same issue, here is the fix: Make sure you do not start the application before you start your car and it should never happen again. Anytime you turn the car off, you have to turn the app off as well.
hiddenangels89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
hiddenangels89

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro L99
Here is my set up, I literally use it EVERY day and everywhere I go.. I did have the issue for probably a few weeks before I realized its the order i started it... I wanted the app to constantly run, which is what caused all of the lights to come on (not just stability track, but the brake light, abs etc all came on)... so i figured it was the OBD II reader i had... i did a few tests and was able to get it to happen on demand each time so i could figure out what the error was, probably took a good week worth of tries to figure out it was me starting the app before starting the car, as if the app was sending communication to the computer or something and interrupting the initial boot of the car - my 'theory'

Name:  CamaroInterior-AndroidTablet.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  132.2 KB

-May
hiddenangels89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenangels89 View Post
I had the same issue, here is the fix: Make sure you do not start the application before you start your car and it should never happen again. Anytime you turn the car off, you have to turn the app off as well.
OMG! If it is that simple..... That makes sense....

Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
RayYork
LordVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenangels89 View Post
Here is my set up, I literally use it EVERY day and everywhere I go.. I did have the issue for probably a few weeks before I realized its the order i started it... I wanted the app to constantly run, which is what caused all of the lights to come on (not just stability track, but the brake light, abs etc all came on)... so i figured it was the OBD II reader i had... i did a few tests and was able to get it to happen on demand each time so i could figure out what the error was, probably took a good week worth of tries to figure out it was me starting the app before starting the car, as if the app was sending communication to the computer or something and interrupting the initial boot of the car - my 'theory'

Attachment 566089

-May
Great looking setup! Now I need to buy a tablet :-)