Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER SS View Post
I hope that's the case. Have some brand new hawk HPS pads ima install now with my new rotors hope they don't squeal
In my experience with three different cars, Hawk's HPS have proven to be relatively low-dust and generally quiet. The only noise I've heard has come from bits of grit that managed to get trapped between a pad and the rotor. A couple of hard stops normally fixes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Really blow their minds and tell them how a significant portion of the dust is the rotor
No lie. As anybody who might be running HP+ pads on the street would soon discover (along with stronger initial bite than you'd ever think could result from only a pad change).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Stock pads are great all around pads, but they are a bit too dusty and noisy for many Camaro owners. I think Pete sometimes overlooks the fact that some SS's will never see the track or conditions where that kind of braking is needed. Ceramic pads are good for street use or a show car, but I still prefer the HPS pads for street/somewhat aggressive driving.
If it could be guaranteed that a driver will never need all of the braking performance he can scare up from the way his/her car is equipped I *might* be able to let that go. However, I've found out over the last 50 years of my own driving and somewhere between 5 and 10 more riding with my Dad that about once per set of tires you'll be glad you put performance absolutely ahead of subjective considerations such as dust, noise, or tire treadwear rates. Either that or you'll find it too late to be wishing you had.

I wouldn't put ceramics on anything but a show car that would be rarely driven otherwise.

The HPS level is kind of a minimum for street or dual purpose street/occasional autocross (and I would guess street/strip to be an HPS situation as well), but that's about the limit for those pads. Street = reasonably sane street driving here . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-10-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #30
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Pete, stopping is highly overrated....I want quiet....LOL

Contact Tyler at JDP Motorsports and get some Hawk Ceramic brake pads...they will work just like the 350Z when you get them really hot, but they are definitely quieter...
Thanks man Will do!!!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

But the brakes were low noise and low dust
Whoa...yeah I would rather stay loud and safe...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
$180 a piece for resurfacing?? WOW! You can get new rotors for less than that and would likely be a better option.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Stock pads are great all around pads, but they are a bit too dusty and noisy for many Camaro owners. I think Pete sometimes overlooks the fact that some SS's will never see the track or conditions where that kind of braking is needed. Ceramic pads are good for street use or a show car, but I still prefer the HPS pads for street/somewhat aggressive driving.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call and we'll get ya setup.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Yep Tyler is cool...He sold me my Magnaflow exhaust and PFadt springs...I guess I will be on their website for brake pads!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #33
WEN_D's SS
2011 Camaro SS2 Topless

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2 Convertible
JusticePete, if the squealing bothers me, then it IS an issue. I am going to show KMCD's posts to my service guy at my dealership and see if he will consider his suggestions.
WEN_D's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEN_D's SS View Post
JusticePete, if the squealing bothers me, then it IS an issue. I am going to show KMCD's posts to my service guy at my dealership and see if he will consider his suggestions.
Disclaimer: I do NOT sell brakes. I only post in threads like this to provide accurate information and to dispel myths and disinformation.

You identified two issues in your original post within this thread. I replied to one.

1. The brakes make noise. The brakes are doing exactly what they should be doing. Nothing is wrong with them. There is no issue with the brakes.

2. You don't like brake noise and find it embarrassing on an expensive car. That is your perception. It impacts your level of satisfaction with your Vert which should be a concern to Chevrolet and your Dealer. Hopefully, your Dealer and Chevrolet can find a way to satisfy you.

GM vehicles frequently are critiqued for brake noise, because GM puts so much focus on brake function. Here is a prime example of the difference between how GM views brakes and Ford.

But wait, there's a catch. You see, Randy had another observation about the Shelby. "The brakes just don't generate confidence. They're not enough to stop this car on a racetrack. On the street, they're probably fine. But the Camaro brakes do stop the car." While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn't repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2hLwlE75L

We know Nissan thinks the same way as Ford, even on their NISMO performance vehicles. Customers want low noise and low dust so they give it to them. I completely disagree with that approach. The companies building performance vehicles need to educate their sales staff, service departments and customers so they understand why their performance car brakes make noise and other vehicles do not. Education up front is better than a goodwill gesture with a dissatisfied owner.

Last edited by JusticePete; 10-10-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #35
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
Yep Tyler is cool...He sold me my Magnaflow exhaust and PFadt springs...I guess I will be on their website for brake pads!!!
I bought my CTSV Brake Upgrade from JDP among other things...and Jordan races his Camaro, so you are buying from someone that actually tries out products they sell....
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #36
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hey WEN_D's SS!

Please keep us posted on what the dealership has to say. We are always happy to help if further assistance is needed.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEN_D's SS View Post
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi sonnydurden,

If you would like us to research further, we would be happy to locate a different dealership for a second opinion. You may send us a private message at any time with your contact information and VIN!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Jessica!!! I will try changing out the pads. From what I gather from the dealer and some of the vets on this site, the squeal is just the nature of the beast. My car stops fine and I feel safe...Will keep you all updated!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #38
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I bought my CTSV Brake Upgrade from JDP among other things...and Jordan races his Camaro, so you are buying from someone that actually tries out products they sell....
Thanks man..Thats good to hear!!!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #39
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Disclaimer: I do NOT sell brakes. I only post in threads like this to provide accurate information and to dispel myths and disinformation.

You identified two issues in your original post within this thread. I replied to one.

1. The brakes make noise. The brakes are doing exactly what they should be doing. Nothing is wrong with them. There is no issue with the brakes.

2. You don't like brake noise and find it embarrassing on an expensive car. That is your perception. It impacts your level of satisfaction with your Vert which should be a concern to Chevrolet and your Dealer. Hopefully, your Dealer and Chevrolet can find a way to satisfy you.

GM vehicles frequently are critiqued for brake noise, because GM puts so much focus on brake function. Here is a prime example of the difference between how GM views brakes and Ford.

But wait, there's a catch. You see, Randy had another observation about the Shelby. "The brakes just don't generate confidence. They're not enough to stop this car on a racetrack. On the street, they're probably fine. But the Camaro brakes do stop the car." While the Mustang was a half-second faster around the track than the ZL1 on its best lap, it couldn't repeat the performance. By the end of the first lap, the brakes had already begun to heat up so badly, we could smell them from the pits as the car passed by on the front straight.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2hLwlE75L

We know Nissan thinks the same way as Ford, even on their NISMO performance vehicles. Customers want low noise and low dust so they give it to them. I completely disagree with that approach. The companies building performance vehicles need to educate their sales staff, service departments and customers so they understand why their performance car brakes make noise and other vehicles do not. Education up front is better than a goodwill gesture with a dissatisfied owner.

My brakes squeak occasionally, too. I didn't know all this info, but now that I do, I will be proud to have "the squeaks." I'd much rather have a better performing brake that makes a little noise, than one that's not up for the job.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #40
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
JusticePete is correct about performance brakes squealing, but you can mitigate the noise greatly if you'll follow these steps:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=189890&page=1
I followed the lubing steps with HPS pads and never had the "dreaded" squeak some people complain about with HPS pads on the street.

Now using HPS pads on a road course... Just don't do it. Trust me. They generate a lot of heat and don't stop well. Ended boiling ATE Super Blue fluid. Never had that issue when running the stockers on the track in HPDE 1/2. Went to Motul SRF fluid and DTC 70 pads in front/DTC 60 pads in the rear for the track and everything was very happy for my first weekend with the HPDE 3 guys.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #41
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
You're welcome, and yes, please keep us posted!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
Thanks Jessica!!! I will try changing out the pads. From what I gather from the dealer and some of the vets on this site, the squeal is just the nature of the beast. My car stops fine and I feel safe...Will keep you all updated!!!
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #42
ps2ren

Drives: Camaro SS
I just had the same problem not too long AFTER I replaced both front and back pads. Obviously the low speed squeak isn't from the pads since the metal pieces are far from the rotors and I went with slightly softer stoptech pads. I went in to get them checked, and turns out rotors are grooved and need to be replaced. The outter edges of the rotors appear to be higher than the middle rings, which I assume is the problem. So they simply put on another set of stock rotors and now they are fixed~

On a side note, mine is actually 2010 SS, it doesn't even have the rollers on the front Brakes. I thought that might be part of the problem, but nope, just needed new rotors.