Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: POSER OR NOT
YES 55 71.43%
NO 22 28.57%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #29
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Besides my current ride, my 85 IROC was the best, most fun vehicle I have ever owned.....red, removable T-Tops, tan leather, TPI pretty high tech at the time copied from the vette, big directional gator-backs, great ground effects...no car during that time had anything like this, the black hood louvers were pretty unique and yes you had to take care of them in the Texas sun, great looking wheels.....come on guys, this was 28 years ago.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #30
Yellow Camaro

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS
I think this could be badass. There's a few "types" of current Camaro owners...and I'm definitely in the category of "grew up adoring third gens and drove them when they were $2-5k cars in the late 90's, also owned a fourth gen, and Chevy came back with the Camaro just as I started making real money and launched it perfectly with Transformers which I also idolized". I know I'm not the only one on the board...

The IROC holds a special place in Camaro history, and I understand they dropped it because of licensing issues. The fact that IROC is defunct, I assume would actually make the use name easier/cheaper. I'm also prepared to argue that the word "IROC" to MOST people, is MORE associated with the third gen than the actual racing series. If it looked as badass as that silver one posted, I'd be a serious player for one...
Yellow Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #31
SKYFALL

Drives: 2011 CGM LT
It wouldn't really make sense since IROC isn't around anymore.
SKYFALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #32
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
There is nothing you can do to a 5th Gen to pay homage to an IROC Z.

If that is what your goal is, get your hands on a real IROC Z and restore it if needed.

This isn't anything against you personally, so don't be think I am just picking on you.
I am not a fan of the "Clone" cars either.
We have all seen them at car shows, badged up as a SS 454 or Z/28 Clone.
I don't have a problem with clones as long as everyone know they're clones. Don't say it's a yenko or Baldwin car if it's not. Just say, It's a clone.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #33
MY2012RS

Drives: 2012 1LT
I think Dodge owns the IROC name now or at least it did...Chevrolet wasn't the last car company to put one out..It was called the Daytona IROC..what an insult to all Chevy IROCs
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #34
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
The Daytonas came after Chevy lost the IROC races but I think Chevy was smart enough trademark the name as far as models go. Chevy still made the IROC-Z when dodge was making the daytonas, circa 1989 if I believe.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2012RS View Post
I think Dodge owns the IROC name now or at least it did...Chevrolet wasn't the last car company to put one out..It was called the Daytona IROC..what an insult to all Chevy IROCs
NO one owns the IROC name ITs been sold off & disbanded

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #36
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Does anyone on here know what a Clone or Poser is? People keep saying not to clone the IROC, but putting IROC decals on a 5th Gen would not be cloning. To clone a vehicle you would need to use the same year of the original and copy every aspect. Engine, transmission suspension, body work and graphics. A poser is taking a lesser model of an existing car and up badging and matching the looks of a upper model of the same year.
Since no 5th gen IROC has never existed, it cannot be a clone, or for that matter a "Poser". The only thing you could truly call it is a "Tribute" car. Making a modern version of the original model.
Do you call the conversions that change a 5th Gen Camaro into a Trans am look alike a clone or poser?

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 10-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #37
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
I like that hood... that is badass. I would go with poser for the question though. Shouldn't try to label your car something it isn't... a Camaro, of whatever version you own, is already cool enough on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Here you go and yes that does say ls9
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #38
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
It's just a 1LE. Unless it's right hand drive I see more than one seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Here is a 1991 Camaro Chevrolet built and sold only to SCCA Pro-Comp license holders. There were about 200 built. Not many are left.

Thinner sheet metal (you have to be careful opening the hood). Lighter glass, reconfigured rear window (aero), heavier frame, full roll cage, fire suppression system, one seat...

Street legal and it will push your brain out your ear.

Probably similar to an IROC.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #39
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Just a little IROC-Z history:
Year by year history breakdown of the IROC-Z Camaro.
Source: IROC-Z Homepage :

1985:

The IROC (International Race Of Champions) began using the Camaro as the official vehicle. To commemorate this, Chevy made an IROC model for the Camaro. The IROC-Z was option B4Z on the option sheet and could only be ordered with the Z28 option package. The ride height was lower than a standard Z28, and featured performance-calibrated front struts and springs, Bilstein rear shocks and 16 inch aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle 245/50/16 tires. This new performance icon boasted skidpad numbers within the range of .90 g. The top offering under the hood was the brand new TPI 305 which boasted 215 horsepower and 275 ft/lbs of torque. This was the most powerful 305 automatic ever offered in the IROC. The 190 horsepower HO 4bbl 305 and the standard output 155 horse LG4 were the other available motors.

The IROC also came with a redesigned front fascia with a more rounded appearance and a deeper chin spoiler with lower ground effects. The new fake hood louvers were introduced on the Z28 and IROC. The IROC was available in Yellow, Bright Blue Metallic, Black, Silver Metalic and Red.

1986:

In 1986, the IROC received slightly different engine packages. The 86 IROC is the armpit of the entire run. The 305 block in 1986 now had a one piece rear main seal. The TPI 305 was the lucky recipient of the LG4 camshaft, and the result was a drop of 25 horses and almost a half second longer run to 60mph. Chevrolet did allow 50 IROCs out the door with the 220hp L98 350. Beware when somebody sells an 86 as a stock 350. CHECK THE VIN for accuracy. Chevy also let an undisclosed number of these cars out with the T5 five speed transmission as part of the 1LE racing option that also included air conditioning delete, radio delete, as well as the deletion of all power accessories. The 1LE option was not available with T-tops, but did come with specially calibrated springs, shocks and sway bars.

Visually, not too much changed on the 86 IROC. The government mandated 3rd brake light found its way to the top of the rear hatch near the roof line. Curiously, rear window louvers became a factory option this year. Some of the 86 IROCs came with the new 140mph speedometer. 86 was also the first year for the base coat/clear coat paint system as standard equipment.

1987:

1987 brought about only minor changes to the IROC. The motors now had the new center bolt style heads and manifolds had a revised bolt hole angle to accommodate the different heads. The motors also made the switch to hydraulic roller camshafts. This gave a 3.5% increase in gas mileage, and an extra 5 horsepower. The TPI 350 was now widely available, but only with the 700R4 automatic.

Visually, the 87 is identical to the 86 model, except that the third brake light moved from up on the rear hatch, to down in the rear spoiler.

1988:

1988 brought about some welcome changes in the horsepower department, as well as a somewhat revised exterior scheme. The Z28 was discontinued, and the IROC was now its own model. For the first time in the history of the Camaro, no carbureted Camaros were available. All motors offered fuel injection of some sort. The base IROC motor had the TBI injection that was very similar to what was found on the trucks. A new camshaft finally found its way into the 305 TPI and boosted horsepower to 195 horse in the auto, and a stout 220 horse when backed with the T5. The 350 also got a small horsepower boost to 225 horse. All of the V8s starting in 88 had “guided rocker arms” that featured a stamped-in lip on each side of the pad that contacts the valve stem.

The exterior of the IROCs received a mild update for 88. The most noticeable difference is that the wheels have been slightly changed. Instead of one line through the center of each spoke, there were now two lines, and the center area was a little different. Here’s an interesting tidbit: for the first time, the 16″ wheel was an option on the IROC. The car came standard with a 15″ version. Along with that, the IROC-Z decal was a little smaller and moved to the rear of the door instead of the front. The stripe along the ground effects line now had the black line above the silver. The silver Z-28 badges on the exterior have been replaced with orange IROC-Z logos.

1989:

1989 brought about some nice horsepower increases. The TPI 305 5 speed jumped to 230 horse if the dual catalytic converters were ordered, and with dual cats, the L98 350 jumped to 240 horse, with a staggering 345 ft/lbs of torque! The TPI systems changed slightly. For the first time, the 9th cold start injector was no longer used.

Visually, nothing changed from the 1988 model.

1990:

This is the first year the 1LE high performance option became widely known. The 1LE featured 4 wheel disk brakes, a 3.42 posi rear end, an aluminum drive shaft, large 12″ front rotors, aluminum calipers, engine oil cooler, larger anti-roll bars and gas tank baffles. There were also numerous spring rates available. The package could only be ordered without air conditioning or fog lamps. 1990 also marked the year the the TPI systems changed from the Mass airflow system to the Speed density system. These differences are explained in the TPI tech section. The Speed density system allowed an extra 5 horsepower from the 350, upping the ante to 245.

Visually, the exterior of the 90 IROCs once again did not change, but looking through the windows will show that they now had a driver side air bag as well as revised instrument cluster.

The 1990 IROC was only built through the end of 1989. In January the Dodge Daytona became the Official Car of IROC, thus the Camaro IROC-Z production ended.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Whatever makes you happy. Who cares what others think! Imagine if people knew that the stripes did not originate on the Camaro. They'd probably hate their car now since they would be "posers".
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casperadub70 View Post
80s also had a camaro known as a Baretta. The 5th gen is a way upgraded version of that, would you put those badges on yours?

I love IROC camaros but they belong to the camaro modeled after the IROC racing series. 5th gens dont.
Baretta is a pistol and/or a tv detective from the late 70's....

A Berlinetta is a Camaro package offered in the 80's.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
Baretta is a pistol and/or a tv detective from the late 70's....

A Berlinetta is a Camaro package offered in the 80's.
Beretta was also a model Chevy put out in the late 80's and early 90's that included a Z26 model. But is wasn't a Camaro.
Attached Images