Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
We've been just above freezing in the early mornings here and I just about put mine in the ditch last week passing some old fuddy idling along. Guess I should have idle along as well when I punched it in second gear and used the whole road from ditch to ditch trying to keep it shiny side up. Ordered new tires that day and will be putting these away till Spring.

We don't really get Winter here in Vancouver just rain and it gets around freezing over night but these tires are less than stellar in the rain as well so go slow! take your time or use another car. Or, change tires for the season.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
We've been just above freezing in the early mornings here and I just about put mine in the ditch last week passing some old fuddy idling along. Guess I should have idle along as well when I punched it in second gear and used the whole road from ditch to ditch trying to keep it shiny side up. Ordered new tires that day and will be putting these away till Spring.

We don't really get Winter here in Vancouver just rain and it gets around freezing over night but these tires are less than stellar in the rain as well so go slow! take your time or use another car. Or, change tires for the season.
What tires did you get? Doesn't take much to break these tires loose. I was on a side road, temp was around 50, but the road still had mist/condensation and I hit the gas, not really all that hard, and the nannies went wild as she swayed her big back side back and forth. Just kept her pointed where I wanted to go and all went well! But I definitely wasn't expecting her to break loose sooo easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
Normagene

Just went to get my Inspection Sticker today, temps mid 40s, so I was gentle on the throttle. 30 or 40 minutes into my drive I'm at a red light on a slight hill so I give just a little extra throttle, just enough to do a pretty nice wheel spin with that nice chirping sound at the end. Can only imagine how long it would of taken to track if I really put it down!

Old 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
Normagene

Forgot to mention that when I got home, I live on the end of the street with a cul-de-sac, so I usually like to really put it down and do a couple fast laps around the circle. Well with temps in the mid 40s by the time I got home, understeered like crazy. Every-time I really put the power down the front tires just would not grip. So holding the line was impossible and I just had to keep letting off the throttle. Compared to temps in the 60s when I get a nice loud squeal it was no tires noise, just sliding further and further to the outside. Temps in the 40s, forget about it!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Proroc

Drives: 2013 Red ZL1 Coupe
You Must use PTM in the cold Trust me I know

I did a track day with Hooked on driving yesterday. I left my home at 4:30am and it was 27 degrees. Drove 2.5 hours and the tires went from 28psi to 30psi by the time I got to the track.

First run on PTM 3 was great once the tire got warmed up to 37-38psi it hook up well out side temp was 40 degrees at 9:15 am. Parked for about hour and sun was starting to warm things up. 2nd time out at 10:30am temps were looking at around degrees. I thought I would use the PTM 4 with no ESC.....Boy was I wrong...Nothing hurt but my pride

Watch the video....the second part is later on with the camera in side so you can hear the motor. FUN!!!!!

I have also posted another shot with the camera mounted on the outside. you can just watch my other vids to see it.

3000 miles now..7.97 1/8 mile on Drs, Autocross, and 2.14 full course at VIR.

SOLD!!! 2010 BLACK ON BLACK 2SS LS3, WHTIE STRIPES, Permachrome factory rims widen 10.75 rear 305/35 nittos, 275s p-zeros on the front, LIVERNOIS TUNED MAGIE-550RWHP, ROTO FAB, EBACH PROKIT, SLP emblems
Proroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #20
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
I have unfortunately been stuck in the snow.... thought I had planned my trip to Omaha pretty well in March, but I was caught in the blizzard. None the less, 9k miles and almost 8 months later, I do not have any issues. Just be careful on the cold roads and drive easy. Other than that, just keep an eye on your tires after you return home.
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I just have 0 traction. I floored it at 85mph in 3rd and broke grip. I just don't like the traction I can't use the car for the reason I bought it in those temps so I don't drive it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote