Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Painted Stripes are awesome but..........

Just want to toss this out there. I Know, I know....Painted stripes look 10x better than vinyl and I totally agree w/ making your Camaro your own.
As a matter of fact, I plan on having mine painted as soon as I get it.

Sooooo.....I went to painter today who does great custom work on show cars and bikes. When i asked him for an estimate on How much to paint stripes on a 2010 Camaro, He told me his best friend had already asked him the same question.

His proposal was "You will be changing originality of your Camaro" and that whole "if it didn't come from the factory with painted stripes".....yadyadayada

He also said that the new Camaro may surprise everyone and hold its value a little more than expected since it is a "dying breed of car" and the last HOORAH of GM performance.
I guess he meant something about the direction that GM is going w/ its environmentally friendly, politically correct 4 cylinders

and I know the 2010 Camaro will never, ever hold value like First Gens.

Still got my wheels turning a little tho......Lets hear some thoughts!!!!!

Somewhere in 1100 Allocation HELL is:
2SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic, LS-3 w/ BLK Interior & BLK Hockey Stick package

-----------------------
1969 Camaro SS396/375hp L-78 Unrestored Survivor Cortez Silver, BLK Hockey Stick, 9500 Original miles
-2007 Camaro Nationals "Vintage Legend" Certified
-2008 Chevy Vette Fest Gold Spinner Award
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I personally will be doing Vinyl. This way if I get sick of it, want a change or go back to factory, remove them and done. I do not think the painted ones look that much better and like the flatter look for the stripes.

But if you get them painted on, you better like them, there is no going back without a re-paint and much cost!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I personally will be doing Vinyl. This way if I get sick of it, want a change or go back to factory, remove them and done. I do not think the painted ones look that much better and like the flatter look for the stripes.

But if you get them painted on, you better like them, there is no going back without a re-paint and much cost!
You have a very, good point.....and believe me that thought crosses my mind not to mention the fact that My Wife Reinforces what you just said to me everyday.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
ok here is my take

if you get stock stripes... they will crack up and die within 20 years...... much less the 40 that it took for 1st gens to become half million dollar cars.

You will have to either keep your car in a climate controlled garage and never drive it.... OR you will have to do like they do with the turkey on trans ams... replace the decals.

SOOO

if you paint it... and really want it to be worth that much.... you can have it repainted, and add decals.... Many people repaint vintage cars even now, and still get a lot of money for it.

If you really want to get a lot of money for it... dont worry, ignore the condition,
just having a gas burning car in 45 years will make it worth a great amount
Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
camarox

Drives: 1969 SC and 1998 Z28
Paint it... you don't buy a car for an investment unless you lock it away and never drive it.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Mr. Brownstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarox View Post
Paint it... you don't buy a car for an investment unless you lock it away and never drive it.
Very True my friend!!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
kellertxgen5

Drives: 2LT RS - Black w' black 21's
Mine is with the vinyl guy right now. I have a black car and I'm getting custom stripes that are flat black so it would be really expensive to paint. Plus since they're a custom look I like the fact that they're not permanent.

If I had a yellow car and was going to go for the "Bumblebee" look I'd probably paint them on because you'll have no problem selling that down the road if you needed to sell it.

Just don't want to shoot yourself in the foot.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
gtwss
Time To Hammer Down

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 02 Monte Carlo SS
I'm also having hard time between vinyl and paint. I haven't seen any vinyl the way I want it. I know it most likely could be done but, color would be the hard to do the way I want. I'm going paint for that reason.

2SS, CGM, M6, Polished Wheels
6000 8/13/09
gtwss is offline   Reply With Quote