Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #29
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTAT View Post
I had the same question as the OP, when I looked into it I found it interesting that the most powerful packages from Livernois, Ligenfelter (even their 800+hp), Kateck, and Hennessey do NOT include headers. I thought this was a profound argument against needing them on the ZL1 and should be considered when retailers on this site recommend them. That being said, there is no other way to get that kind of sound.
You nailed it, but trust me, those guys will put headers on for you if you want and tune accordingly.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #30
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
I read a post a while back that made sense. You should start with the headers and HF cats first. It makes a dramatic difference and you will absolutely love the sound difference. Afterwards, determine your mufflers. If you change your mufflers now, then get your headers and cats, you might be changing your mind about the sound again. (Unless your preference is louder, the better!)
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #31
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Here are some clips of mine with Pfadt headers. I really like the sound and performance from them.

....I was like oh another person driving their awesome sounding ZL1 like a granny...until the last couple seconds haha.

Once my car is broken in I will be accelerating as fast as possible all the time until I hit the posted speed limit of course haha.

...and i'm sure this has been asked a million times...but I don't feel like searching...but for those of you with headers did you happen to verify with your dealer if they void warranty...or do y'all just not give a F***?
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #32
Yaba94070

Drives: 2014 zl1 camaro
Perfect

Quote:
Here are some clips of mine with Pfadt headers. I really like the sound and performance from them.

Good videos sounds much better with the headers...
Yaba94070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #33
Yaba94070

Drives: 2014 zl1 camaro
I'm gonna through on the corse ca back and maybe a ugh flow fist see how t goes I want to through the headers on but I only have a few thousand on my motor I want through a tack day on there first while its still under warranty then I'll tune and headers
Yaba94070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #34
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:

Those sound great!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #35
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTAT View Post
I had the same question as the OP, when I looked into it I found it interesting that the most powerful packages from Livernois, Ligenfelter (even their 800+hp), Kateck, and Hennessey do NOT include headers. I thought this was a profound argument against needing them on the ZL1 and should be considered when retailers on this site recommend them. That being said, there is no other way to get that kind of sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
You nailed it, but trust me, those guys will put headers on for you if you want and tune accordingly.
I added headers to the HPE700 package, love the sound, very loud at WOT. I actually feel bad when I pass people with windows open.

Granted it has more than just headers but enjoy the show.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #36
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooks Headers View Post
We offer a Stainless Steel Long Tube Header for this car and paired with our 49 state legal EPA certified GREEN cats, they do not require tuning and will not throw a rear O2 monitoring code. However, on these cars because of the blower we recommend tuning. On a supercharged engine a long tube header will typically lower the boost level 1-2 lbs. You will actually see more power at less boost, but because of the different boost levels the car may want to run rich and lose some drivability. The best set up for the most power on a blown car is to run long tubes which will lower the boost level, then re-pulley the supercharger to match the original boost levels along with the proper tuning. These 2 combinations will wake your blown car up more than just about any other bolt on mod. The real gain here is the rotating assembly (Pistons, rods, crank) will only see roughly the same amount of abuse a stock motor would, but it will be producing a lot more power. It is really a win-win!!

Please let me know if I can help you with anything on this.

Your information is wrong. This is false advertising as I bought your green cats and headers. I will need to get a tune to get rid of my CEL. I called your tech support and was told I need a tune. Such a frustrating purchase.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #37
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Your information is wrong. This is false advertising as I bought your green cats and headers. I will need to get a tune to get rid of my CEL. I called your tech support and was told I need a tune. Such a frustrating purchase.
No matter what promises the header manufacturers make, all of these systems REQUIRE a tune to recalibrate fueling and to turn off the rear 02 sensors. No big deal...just be prepared to have that done after the headers are installed. These cars are very sensitive to any airflow changes. We are lucky that there are any "no tune" options for mods on these cars.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
eodtech72
EOD

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Although I do agree a tune is required to see the full potential of headers, there should not be a manufacturer advertising that a tune is not required and will not throw a code if in fact that is not true. And if advertising that and you do get a CEL and you call tech assist and they contradict the info you based your purchase on.... That's just unacceptable no matter what the part is. Can anyone else provide info on the Kook's setup, as in does it throw a code or not?
eodtech72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodtech72 View Post
Although I do agree a tune is required to see the full potential of headers, there should not be a manufacturer advertising that a tune is not required and will not throw a code if in fact that is not true. And if advertising that and you do get a CEL and you call tech assist and they contradict the info you based your purchase on.... That's just unacceptable no matter what the part is. Can anyone else provide info on the Kook's setup, as in does it throw a code or not?
Although I'm frustrated. The green cat setup sounds great but why get them if you are trying to avoid the light. The green cats were double than others. When I called Kooks their tech support put me in touch with another tuner and they confirmed you will get a CEL. The tuner had gotten a CEL on their test car.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #40
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
it isn't required but it is recommended to get your car tuned...typical aftermarket talk. CEL doesn't cause an issue other than an eye sore. Just get the car tuned...done. It will run much better anyways.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote