Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Drives: 2014 2SS, RS, 1LE, Heartbeat Blower
Cold temps driving new tire thoughts....

I think my stock tires have all of 2000 miles on them, and I am already thinking about swapping them out. Granted it has been crazy cold here in AL this winter, but HATE having to think about how cold it is, and if I should be out driving my baby. She was built to drive, not be the hangar queen...

Have be reading some of the tire threads. Plan to keep stock wheels, and want to keep 10" up front and 11" in back. I need more meat in the back to give the horses some traction. Wish I could get an extra inch in the back.

Bottom line, I want an all weather interceptor. Not a "is it below 40. Slow down, is it getting towards 20...better get her back in the hangar before the tires crack"

Like us on Facebook and Instagram - Horsepower Therapy...... www.horsepowertherapy.org
HP_Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Geez, how cold has it been down there? The best solution is really to get 2 sets of wheels (or just tires). Since you want better traction, summer tires are the best for that (in warm temps) and "all-seasons" will be better in the cold temps.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
If you are not going to drive her in the snow the Pilot Super Sports are supposed to give great handling even in colder weather and handle as good if not better than the Goodyears when warm. That is what I am putting on soon going 285 all the way around on 10" rims.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
If you are not going to drive her in the snow the Pilot Super Sports are supposed to give great handling even in colder weather and handle as good if not better than the Goodyears when warm. That is what I am putting on soon going 285 all the way around on 10" rims.
That's what I did except I went 295 rears. Lately it's been in the lower 30's in the morning on the way to work and mid to upper 40's on the drive home. No problems what so ever with the PSS's.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Ivan915

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS 1LE
I switched mine with some Michelin A/S 3 for the snowy/freezing temps here in KS and they have performed pretty well. I don't have to worry about whether or not I should drive it in the snow or icy conditions.
Attached Images

Ivan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan915 View Post
I switched mine with some Michelin A/S 3 for the snowy/freezing temps here in KS and they have performed pretty well. I don't have to worry about whether or not I should drive it in the snow or icy conditions.
This is sort where I am leaning. do the A/S 3's come in the stock size? With the same widths as the stock, 10" up front, 11" in the back??

Like us on Facebook and Instagram - Horsepower Therapy...... www.horsepowertherapy.org
Old 01-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Mine had 600 miles on it, when I swapped out the stock tires. This winter has been brutal cold. I went with Nitto Motivo's 315's in the rear, and 275's in the front. These were mounted on my stock rims with no issue's or damage. The entire set was about $1200 out the door with the hazard warranty from discount tire.
Sucks to replace these wonderful sticky F1 tires, but I just wasn't wanting to chance a tire problem. Like you I want to drive the car even if its cold. Now there is no way I would drive it in the snow, but some days are cold without snow here.

Last edited by sengli; 01-26-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: info
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Mine had 600 miles on it, when I switch out the stock tires. This winter has been brutal cold. I went with Nitto Motivo's 315 in the rear, and 275's in the front.
Mounted on stock wheels? Where did you purchase from?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Ivan915

Drives: 2014 SW 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex_47e View Post
This is sort where I am leaning. do the A/S 3's come in the stock size? With the same widths as the stock, 10" up front, 11" in the back??
As far as I know the sizes stayed the same as stock. Bought mine from Discount Tire which they had to order them and got them like 4 days later. Got a few discounts and took off sales tax which saved me a little over $125 once they knew I was military. I decided to switch since I have a feeling my next duty station will be in Quantico, VA and I plan on using this as my DD.
Ivan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex_47e View Post
If you are not going to drive her in the snow do the PSS over the all season's. The handling is night and day between the two.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
HP_Therapy
Horsepower Therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
If you are not going to drive her in the snow do the PSS over the all season's. The handling is night and day between the two.
Good info. I hope to not do much snow driving in AL. Just want to be able to drive in the cold.