Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Why do you really need to know? Sounds like you and your instructor have some reading to do? You have driven with them off before? You do feel the lighter steering with everything switched off? As you stated they regulate engine power and steering feel. The tune is for other parameters other than PTM modes.
Well your post was not any help. I have read the manual and watched the videos. I was looking for how it works info not this is what it does info. So if you know where I can read that then post that up.

Yes I have driven with all the nannies off. Many times. I want to know because I like to know that kind of stuff. I know what a tune is for. I have an 2010 Camaro SS with mods, a engine, and trany tune, my ZL1, and a Stingray that has more modes than the ZL1 so knowing what these modes really do would be very interesting to me.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Well your post was not any help. I have read the manual and watched the videos. I was looking for how it works info not this is what it does info. So if you know where I can read that then post that up.

Yes I have driven with all the nannies off. Many times. I want to know because I like to know that kind of stuff. I know what a tune is for. I have an 2010 Camaro SS with mods, a engine, and trany tune, my ZL1, and a Stingray that has more modes than the ZL1 so knowing what these modes really do would be very interesting to me.
I understand your curiosity and I must admit that you and I probably think a lot alike. I have asked the same question and been a little frustrated at the answers I have got. I can tell you this from actual experience on the racetrack and just plain goofing around while smoking tires.

The ZL1 PTM system has yaw sensors related to steering angle and has sensors related to front to rear wheel rotation speed variation. Since the rear is a limited slip the left to right wheel speed is basicially useless so it has to compare front to back. But then again it may compare left to right anyway, I don't know for sure.

Every PTM mode from 1 to 5 has a point where it says things are getting out of control and the PTM system has the ability to intervene and try to stop the problem by reducing power. When it reduces power its first reaction is to pull back the throttle body. Next, if the problem continues unabaited it will cut spark and fuel.

The lower the PTM setting the less variation with wheel speed and steering angle it will tolerate. I can promise you PTM 5 is not the same as all off. If you have the car in PTM 5 and spin the car completely around so the front tires are rolling backward it will cut the throttle and spark. In PTM 5 it is like it knows when you lost it and then says, okay, you lost it bud...start over. It however doesn't do anything until you are gone. Sometimes when I have the track to myself I like to switch between PTM 4 and 5 because in PTM 4 with my power I can run a controlled drift out of every corner by getting a little heavy on the throttle mid corner and then stomping it on the exit and letting the PTM keep it in check while I hold the pedal to the floor. When I do the same throttle mashing in PTM 5 the computer does not intervene until the car is dead sideways or backward and then it shuts it down.

If I run in PTM 3 it is cutting spark to keep the car in line and the guys behind me says it shoots flames 3 feet out the back when it puts the spark back on.

This system is much more complex than anything in the manual lets on and when you boost the horsepower your engine is producing, the PTM adjustments get more dramatic because it is so much easier to get the car really out of line. I'm a pretty fair driver and I do much better with my car in PTM 4 and then I still exercise a some restraint.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I understand your curiosity and I must admit that you and I probably think a lot alike. I have asked the same question and been a little frustrated at the answers I have got. I can tell you this from actual experience on the racetrack and just plain goofing around while smoking tires.

The ZL1 PTM system has yaw sensors related to steering angle and has sensors related to front to rear wheel rotation speed variation. Since the rear is a limited slip the left to right wheel speed is basicially useless so it has to compare front to back. But then again it may compare left to right anyway, I don't know for sure.

Every PTM mode from 1 to 5 has a point where it says things are getting out of control and the PTM system has the ability to intervene and try to stop the problem by reducing power. When it reduces power its first reaction is to pull back the throttle body. Next, if the problem continues unabaited it will cut spark and fuel.

The lower the PTM setting the less variation with wheel speed and steering angle it will tolerate. I can promise you PTM 5 is not the same as all off. If you have the car in PTM 5 and spin the car completely around so the front tires are rolling backward it will cut the throttle and spark. In PTM 5 it is like it knows when you lost it and then says, okay, you lost it bud...start over. It however doesn't do anything until you are gone. Sometimes when I have the track to myself I like to switch between PTM 4 and 5 because in PTM 4 with my power I can run a controlled drift out of every corner by getting a little heavy on the throttle mid corner and then stomping it on the exit and letting the PTM keep it in check while I hold the pedal to the floor. When I do the same throttle mashing in PTM 5 the computer does not intervene until the car is dead sideways or backward and then it shuts it down.

If I run in PTM 3 it is cutting spark to keep the car in line and the guys behind me says it shoots flames 3 feet out the back when it puts the spark back on.

This system is much more complex than anything in the manual lets on and when you boost the horsepower your engine is producing, the PTM adjustments get more dramatic because it is so much easier to get the car really out of line. I'm a pretty fair driver and I do much better with my car in PTM 4 and then I still exercise a some restraint.
Now that was some good feedback. About to hit my first autocross with the ZL1 because I just hit 1200 miles. Only 300 to go. Then in another month or two I will be going to the Auto Club Speedway to rip her up on the track. Can't wait to get it in PTM 4 or 5...it's gonna be soooo much fun!
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
what is the default setting
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedhellride View Post
what is the default setting
PTM 2
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:

I'm with you. I'd prefer an in depth description of what is happening. I find it disconcerting that I must turn traction control off to get into the PTM settings. Which setting is calmer, when you turn the car on in the tour mode or PTM mode 2?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
I prefer mode 5 for most of my driving. Havent done any road courses just drag strip. Mode 4 and 5 are the most stiff suspension settings and mode 5 also has less power steering assist giving it a tighter feel. If you drive on the highway and goto mode 5 on the fly you can feel the magnetic ride suspension tighten up seriously.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Jessrayo knows his stuff. The thing I like about our PTM system is that you can switch between modes on the fly so if you want less intervention go to PTM 4 or 5 and if you want more intervention go to PTM3.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
tnspd

Drives: 18 Camaro ZL1 1LE (WILSON)
Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I usually turn everything off on the drag strip and run in PTM 3 on the road coarse. Maybe when I get better on a road coarse I'll move to PTM 4 or 5. Heck I just got blessed off on to run without a teacher/coach on a road coarse.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I've always had the problem of not knowing how to switch modes, anyone care to enlighten me please?

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
I've always had the problem of not knowing how to switch modes, anyone care to enlighten me please?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220554

Then scoot down to the video on Magnetic Ride Control....

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #26
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Simplest way to say it would be use the tc button(right button) twice to put it in ptm then use the middle button for modes 3 thru 5 and the left button for modes 1 and 2. It will tell you which mode youre in in the dic
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
I was at a track day driving with my instructor, after the first 20 minute run he asked what all the different modes were and what did they do. I tried to explain what the different modes were and what they felt like to me it changed on the car. I dont think I did a very good job of it. So, is there a document that spells out what each mode does when you select it (steering, suspension, shifting, timing, etc....). That way I can be better prepaired when the question comes up again, and it will come up again.
Here is an old analysis that I had posted before. Best description I could come up with. An edit though, I like driving in PTM5 most of the time now, unless in the wet.

"First, I ALWAYS drive in PTM modes. I wish it was an option to have ptm auto on.
The wet mode is very, very excellent in the wet. Seriously. When you are in a turn, tip toeing through, use PTM1 and then, mid corner, mash the gas - the car will stay in line and you will hear the exhaust sputter as the car manages torque to the ground. If you use PTM1 during dry driving and try the same thing, the car will stumble over itself midcorner and be embarrassingly sloppy.
I normally drive in PTM 2 when on on rough, poorly maintained road or highway. The suspension is nice and soft and if I get too stupid in a high G corner, the car will, again, make the sputtering sound out of the exhaust and stay in the cornering line.
PTM 3 is rarely used for me.
PTM 4 is fun mode. Unlike PTM1,2,3 which will cut your power if you try to abuse the tires with abrupt steering changes or trying to drift the rear, the PTM4 mode will almost let you do anything, while the PTM4 suspension settings are great at controlling body roll.
PTM5 is great fun as well. But, it will let the car go much more sideways, scary when you didn't mean to do it. It does let loose, but it also saves you if you get too crossed up. and suspension is HARD. Wife dislikes the ride in PTM 3 and 4 and hates the ride in PTM 5.

As far was dragging or launching:
PTM 1 Not really useful. Cuts the power big time if wheels spin and won't give it back right away. Launch control does work in the rain and actually is the fastest that you will ever "take off" on a wet road.
PTM 2 Will suck for launching if you didn't use the launch control (without launch controll, too much wheel spin will cause complete cut off of power for a second or two - embarrassing).
PTM 3 - No really use for me
PTM 4 - Launches are good without launch control and great with launch control.
PTM 5 - You are free to launch however you want, but launch control usage on the street is not very efficient (lots of wheel spin)
PTM and ALL traction modes off - You will die! just kidding. But, it will take a bit of work to keep the tires from spinning and the car in a straight line through first and second gear. Fish tails like crazy.

Last thing I have noticed is the when you change between modes that change the suspension, the change will be drastic at first and then soften up. Especially when changing from any mode to mode 5, the shocks get super hard and then soften a second later. I guess GM wanted us to feel that there was actually a change.

So I mostly drive in PTM 2 and PTM 4. 2 for rough and 4 for smooth or when wanting to rail through a corner at more than 1G. "
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Sprspt

Drives: 2012 ZO6 / CTS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post

Will the car spin completely around in PTM 4 if you get out of shape? Says active handling off? I was just wondering because I am very familiar with the competitive driving mode with my previous cars but not familiar as much with the PTM modes in the ZL1. Thanks for the info