Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Cam Gain Question

Hi Guys,

So ill be dropping my 1LE off at a local shop (will remain unnamed for now), but I am starting to worry about the Gains I will get.

Currently my car is stock but below is what I am adding within the next month total (some work by me some by the shop) or what else is already on.

Already Done:
AFE Pro5R Intake with DryS filter

Going on:
TSP 1 7/8 LT, Catless Leads, TSP 3" Exhaust
Custom Grind Cam Package (shop calls it their Stage3 Cam) + all necessary hw with it (new rods, springs, seats and so on)

He had a 2012 45th in with LT's and it got the same package and dynoed out at 426WHP after doing 393 with just LT's. I was initially going to go with the LG G6X3 Cam but he sold me on his Stage3 Cam with promises of 460+whp.

I know all cars are different but to me 426whp on a cammed car seems low as ive seen in person our cars do near that with just LT's and Tune.

Now should I be worried?

The guys at Livernois promised me 460-480 Realistic WHP (not a hero run), im dropping 3400 on the Cam Package/Install/Tuning and dont want to drop that on only a 30WHP gain.
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post
Hi Guys,

So ill be dropping my 1LE off at a local shop (will remain unnamed for now), but I am starting to worry about the Gains I will get.

Currently my car is stock but below is what I am adding within the next month total (some work by me some by the shop) or what else is already on.

Already Done:
AFE Pro5R Intake with DryS filter

Going on:
TSP 1 7/8 LT, Catless Leads, TSP 3" Exhaust
Custom Grind Cam Package (shop calls it their Stage3 Cam) + all necessary hw with it (new rods, springs, seats and so on)

He had a 2012 45th in with LT's and it got the same package and dynoed out at 426WHP after doing 393 with just LT's. I was initially going to go with the LG G6X3 Cam but he sold me on his Stage3 Cam with promises of 460+whp.

I know all cars are different but to me 426whp on a cammed car seems low as ive seen in person our cars do near that with just LT's and Tune.

Now should I be worried?

The guys at Livernois promised me 460-480 Realistic WHP (not a hero run), im dropping 3400 on the Cam Package/Install/Tuning and dont want to drop that on only a 30WHP gain.
With Livernois your in good hands.

460-480 RWHP is Very typical for an LS3 with CAI Cam and Headers.

We do this couple times a month.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Yeah, what im also not happy with is I voiced my concerns to the shop (which has some of my parts already in + my NO Nitrous Kit with them), and then owner just gave me the whole dont believe everything you see on the internet and saying there are different ratings that dynoes put out. Im getting really worried especially since he has some my own parts at his shop.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz1LE View Post
Yeah, what im also not happy with is I voiced my concerns to the shop (which has some of my parts already in + my NO Nitrous Kit with them), and then owner just gave me the whole dont believe everything you see on the internet and saying there are different ratings that dynoes put out. Im getting really worried especially since he has some my own parts at his shop.
At least in that regard he is absolutely, 100% correct.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
At least in that regard he is absolutely, 100% correct.
Yeah I was aiming for 460-480 on a DynoJet SAE ratings, ive seen countless Camaro LS3 dyno's showing that much and even had other shops tell me that can make that power... if it dynoes out at less than that I wont be happy. Ive been modifying cars since I was 14, this is my first LS based car. I have a general idea what to expect and did my research but now im getting the feeling I may be unhappy when I go to get my car.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If you go on a mustang dyno the results would be appreciably less I believe about 2% than a other dyno...... And you should have asked about the duration and lift of the cam and if they had dyno build sheets from results on other ls3 engines. I am sure it will be fine but there is a lot of difference ion some builds and I personally picked all my parts, matter of fact just got 8 qts of br30 for the break in and 8 qts of ls 30 for the after break in oil change from driven a minute ago. I am sure they will do you right as they are not some Johnny come lately shop. And a stage three is more of a race cam than a stage two. BTW almost all cams are done with comp cams cores anyway........
Old 02-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
Pretty sure I know exactly who your talking about and what shop that is. I had the same concern with the gains out of my car as well, however the tuner they use is only tuning the car to have it run properly for the cam, only adjusting the timing/ AFR to what it needs to be to run properly. Arun there tuner is very conservative. my car only made 458rwhp with a Kaotic cam, Headers, intake, UD pulley, but the timing is very conservative. so theres room for more that another tuner may be able to pull out.
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum ss View Post
Pretty sure I know exactly who your talking about and what shop that is. I had the same concern with the gains out of my car as well, however the tuner they use is only tuning the car to have it run properly for the cam, only adjusting the timing/ AFR to what it needs to be to run properly. Arun there tuner is very conservative. my car only made 458rwhp with a Kaotic cam, Headers, intake, UD pulley, but the timing is very conservative. so theres room for more that another tuner may be able to pull out.
your dead on, I watched the video of your run a couple days ago. I went there today and talked to him expressed my concerns and he said I will be happy when I pick the car up. Someone who is a friend of mine is having Arun get in touch with me about all this.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
platinum ss
Brandon Gilpin

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / 2014 Fiesta ST
Ya, I see a lot of cars with the kaotic cam going 480ish but was shocked to see 460 on a cam of that profile. and considering my car baselined at 425rwhp before the cam, im not really impressed.
2011 Camaro 1SS Platinum ed. ls3 k&n CAI, BBK LT's, MBRP Cat Back, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Camshaft, Melling oil pump, Norris Catch Can, dyno tuned By AGP Speed & Custom, msd coils, taylor cables, Vmax ported throttle body, strut brace, eibach springs, hurst ST shifter.

Black on black, Private forged wheels, Oracle side marker lights, black tail light bezels, 3D Carbon body kit
platinum ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
you are in good hands at Livernois.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
you are in good hands at Livernois.
Guys,

just as clarification, reading his post he talked to us about working on it but it's not coming to us, he's taking it somewhere else and has concerns about that shop, not us.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
umm...well, the OP contacted Livernois...should have went there...problem solved, wouldn't have been ANY concerns with Livernois.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

If I still lived in Windsor I would go to Livernois without a doubt but as the car is in Kitchener (180+miles away) I decided to go local, I spoke with the shop owner in person today about the build and we had a nice chat, Im no where near as worried anymore.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
It would be a lot more helpful if you supplied the cam specs on what they plan on putting in your car. Stage III can mean different things to different people. Personally I would never put a cam and one my cars without knowing exactly what the cam specs are going to be.