Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
hypothetically asking.. if you were to strip 600+ pounds from this car, would it still be street legal? like.. taking all the reinforcement out of the car, replacing the dash and all the useless power seats/power windows etc; giving it lighter doors etc. obviously the car would be much, much less safe, would it have to be reported to insurance? would it still pass inspection as street legal?

don't get me wrong, i love the camaro to bits, and love my 6.2l.. but it weighs so damn much.. makes me wish i got a vette sometimes, even though the payments would be hard for me to pull.

Is it legal for you to strip parts out of your own car: Yes

Will it pass an inspection: Yes,if you keep the seat belts, lights, horn, mirror, and emissions equipt (varies by state)

Is it legal for you to remove emission equipment from a street driven car: No

Do you have to tell your insurance company: No

Will your insurance company cover a repair if you have removed bumper supports, crash beams, air bags (seats) etc.. NO...I say this as they can deny claims based on modifications to vehicle structure or safety systems

The one to really think about:

Do you open yourself to lawsuits from passengers if you get into an accident and you have removed or modified safety equipment or structure, seats doors, dash: YES (Even friends will sue if they have medical bills coming in)

-Matt