Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #155
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by treplatano View Post
I ran my first AutoX with this car yesterday up here in the northeast with FCSCC(fairfield).
I was thinking of joining the club, but I work weekends. Do you still run at the old Army Plant?

What tires are the Boss' running? Sounds like they're a better cold weather compound. Your car should really stick if we can ever get out of the 30's.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #156
Mcarltonjr

Drives: 2013 F150 STX
I had to take a couple times to read your review after reading all the comments that followed but I must say its mostly accurate. I dont agree about which was made to compete with what but that aside you hit alot of info thats accurate. Very well done review.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #157
treplatano

Drives: 2014 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
I was thinking of joining the club, but I work weekends. Do you still run at the old Army Plant?

What tires are the Boss' running? Sounds like they're a better cold weather compound. Your car should really stick if we can ever get out of the 30's.
He was running Michelin Pilot Sport(or Super Sport), but they are definitely a better autoX tire. Our tires turn to hard plastic in this weather.

There is an event on Monday Memorial day if you're around.

They still run on the army plant. Its not the best lost but im gonna try to get out to Metlife this year.
treplatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #158
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
the guy with the laguna seca told me he was already on his 2nd transmission + clutch and expected to break this one during the season. Evidently they use the same transmission as the GT model, and it can't handle the higher revs. Luckily the dealer is happy to swap it out for him.
Sounds more like someone doesn't know how to use a manual transmission & clutch correctly. Most of the issues that plagued the MT-82 have been somewhat taken care of. Not to mention plenty of cars with much more power and higher revs than a stock Boss302 LS are just fine.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #159
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody6.2 View Post
Sounds more like someone doesn't know how to use a manual transmission & clutch correctly. Most of the issues that plagued the MT-82 have been somewhat taken care of. Not to mention plenty of cars with much more power and higher revs than a stock Boss302 LS are just fine.
What? Lol the transmission issue is still there. Rev a gt passed 7500 and it will stop shifting within a couple k miles. And if you look at the boss section nearly every e bitches about the transmission. Leave the redline alone and its fine.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #160
1QwikZ28

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
What? Lol the transmission issue is still there. Rev a gt passed 7500 and it will stop shifting within a couple k miles. And if you look at the boss section nearly every e bitches about the transmission. Leave the redline alone and its fine.
Do the same to a Camaro and it will do the same...not a GT specific problem.
1QwikZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #161
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
the problem with the mt82 trans is the junk clutch that's made in turkey. it doesn't release properly at high rpm. the higher you rev it, the worse it is. that's why it's more prevalent in the boss with it's 1000 rpm higher redline. the tranny takes all the abuse. I experienced it many times with a boss and guys are fixing it with a good twin disc setup.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #162
treplatano

Drives: 2014 Summit White Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
the problem with the mt82 trans is the junk clutch that's made in turkey. it doesn't release properly at high rpm. the higher you rev it, the worse it is. that's why it's more prevalent in the boss with it's 1000 rpm higher redline. the tranny takes all the abuse. I experienced it many times with a boss and guys are fixing it with a good twin disc setup.
this is exactly what the guy said. Ford wanted to install a better clutch and better transmission(i really don't know which one), but in order to keep the Laguna cost down, they didn't
treplatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #163
HeaterMan

Drives: 2018 PP GT
Quote:
there were more problems with the MT-82 than just the clutch. syncros, and other issues, I dumped my 6 speed manual GT after 4000 miles and don't regret it one bit

2016 Scat Pack Challenger (gone 1-6-2018)
2013 Mustang GT Auto(sold)
2013 Track pack Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2011 Mustang 5.0 (sold)
2010 Camaro SS 6M ( sold)13.36 @109
HeaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #164
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
there were more problems with the MT-82 than just the clutch. syncros, and other issues, I dumped my 6 speed manual GT after 4000 miles and don't regret it one bit
it's the clutch that takes out the synchros. and yes, the particular boss I was driving had the trans synchros go around 1500 miles. the high rpm shifting of that car was absolutely pathetic. it would lock you out of 2nd entirely. 5th was gone within 1200 miles. just sad.

all shifting issues were at high rpm.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #165
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
I ran my first AutoX with this car yesterday up here in the northeast with FCSCC(fairfield). Overall it was exactly what I expected from the car in these temps. The car had no grip in the front or rear. They do not run heats with this club, so basically one run per hour.

I came back from my work shift, and managed to run back to back and saw a huge improvements right away on the second run. There were two Boss 302's and one of them was a laguna seca. Basically because of the tires I could not keep up with the boss(non laguna). At the end of the day I ran the car 7 times back to back and i was dropping 1-2 seconds per run, so in the end I did mark similar times but they don't count towards timed laps, these are so called "fun runs".

I plan on running at the metlife should the stars align. hopefully the weather is better

the guy with the laguna seca told me he was already on his 2nd transmission + clutch and expected to break this one during the season. Evidently they use the same transmission as the GT model, and it can't handle the higher revs. Luckily the dealer is happy to swap it out for him.
I'm by no means an experienced AutoX guy but I can tell you I'm definitely seeing an improvement the more I do. I just did another driver training/AutoX day this past Sunday and all the experienced guys and instructors all say the same thing which is there comes a point where you just need seat times.

In my case, my car is much more capable then I am so chasing down other cars for me is more a case of driver than it is the car. Just keep practicing and you'll soon be eating them all up and spitting them out.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #166
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Quote:
it's the clutch that takes out the synchros. and yes, the particular boss I was driving had the trans synchros go around 1500 miles. the high rpm shifting of that car was absolutely pathetic. it would lock you out of 2nd entirely. 5th was gone within 1200 miles. just sad.

all shifting issues were at high rpm.
Problem with the shifting issues at high RPM's is the spring assist in the clutch assembly. remove the spring and that removes the issue with the pedal sticking to the floor. And the lock out issue is mostly the crap stock shift. I replaced mine with an MGW and haven't had the issue with the lock out since. Haven't had any other issues with my MT-82 and I am at the track usually atleast once a month and am right at 40,000 miles on it and the stock clutch.
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #167
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Mustang GT View Post
Problem with the shifting issues at high RPM's is the spring assist in the clutch assembly. remove the spring and that removes the issue with the pedal sticking to the floor. And the lock out issue is mostly the crap stock shift. I replaced mine with an MGW and haven't had the issue with the lock out since. Haven't had any other issues with my MT-82 and I am at the track usually atleast once a month and am right at 40,000 miles on it and the stock clutch.
And you are probably shifting at 6800 right. Trust me its note than that. I removed the spring. Changed the clutch line, ran dot4 fluid, had the Mgw shifter and still nothing
People who replaced the clutch still have issues.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #168
big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Mustang GT View Post

completely wrong.