Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Wraithier

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
TRS HID Question

Hello All,

I have a 2013 1LT non RS -

Background: last year I had my garage install Eagle Eyes and an HID kit from The Retrofit Source - I purchased the H13 Bi-Xenon kit with H9 Bulbs (I had to request it from them it is not listed on the site this way).

This is what I have:

Pair: Morimoto 3Five AMP Ballasts
Pair: 5000k H9 Bulbs
Morimoto H13 Motocontrol Bi-Xenon harness

I appear to be getting some strobing/flickering - the lights appear to stay on, but when I pull up close to a car in front of me it is noticeable that the lights are not steady. I don't know if "pulsing" is the correct word to describe it, but I noticed it appeared to be happening on both lights intermittently (driver would be steady, passenger may or may not pulse for a bit and vice versa). This was while I was running my DRLs this morning, the lights should have had plenty of time to warm up as my drive is a half hour. I was under the impression that the Motocontrol harness has a built in relay/capacitor to fix the issue with the DRLs.

The HIDs are wired to the positive post in the engine bay, directly to the battery, there is a 30 amp fuse - which I think should be good. The ground appears to be solid as well. Any other ideas where my issue could be? The car sat for the winter so maybe I need a battery? I started it intermittently, but I didn't have a tender on it.

Any ideas? TIA!
Wraithier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Wraithier

I just noticed the flickering/pulsing seems to coincide with the fan turning on/off. Doesn't happen all the time like I said, but in some instance the fan will turn on and the driver side will flicker, other times the fan comes on the passenger side will flicker. It does not seem to be noticeable to me outside of the car, ONLY when I am close enough to something to view the cutoff.

This is very minimal, I just want to know if this is something I should worry about as I don't want to ruin my ballasts or anything.

When I searched the forums it seems like it could be -
Fuse - I have a 30 amp.
Ground - this seems fine - grounded to bare metal. -
Power - This is coming straight from the connector in the engine bay to the relay.
Battery - Seems to me like this might be the problem? This is still stock.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
I think, from what I read recently, its the day running lights causing this. Its the low voltage of the drl causing this. I got 'voltage regulators' with my kit, Ill let you know if it fixes the problem, cause my hid are "flickering" too, only noticeable when close to an object.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Its not one of the four problems, especially not your batt. I think the problem is the drl are controlled by the pcm and it detects different voltage of the original running lights so it causes this. Older cars do not have this "flickering" problem cause the lights werent controlled by any pcm. Dont take my word for it though, but its something like that.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Wraithier

I have read similar about the DRLs and thought the relay and capacitor in the Mirimoto Bi-xenon harness was made to avoid this issue. It is very subtle and like you said only really noticeable when I am really close or something.

Just trying to figure out if I got a bad harness or something or if I need to put a capacitor somewhere or what...

I guess I can give the retrofit source a call...
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #6
Wraithier

For all those with HID kits from The Retrofit Source, I believe this is my issue, hopefully this helps some others:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...hlight=flicker

Definitely started noticing this in the cold, going to request a replacement and I'll update this as soon as they are in!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Wraithier

Got the new ballasts from TRS and installed them, everything works fine! If you have the older "SS" type ballasts I'd watch for this issue.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
moyn
M0yn

Drives: 2011 Camaro Inferno Orange Metallic
Hid planet link doesn't work
moyn is offline   Reply With Quote